Coach Mathews should be interesting this morning.

Robertson will be center.
OL will be strength of team with 8 man rotation.
Believes Tatum will eventually start at RT.
Will have 16 more practices before opener.
Expects this to be Jones best freshman group.
More depth at most positions than last year.

Biggest concerns:
OLB McDowell will start but should be a backup.
Sapp big question mark due to many injuries.
Jumper will play both OLB and Mike.
TE Wolf not good at line blocking.
FB When we need a lead blocker fullback type, e.g.
Goal line - don't have one - not part of Jones offense.

Likes experience that Hoke provides
Says these freshman will be big contributors:
Smith, Chandler, Jordan, Ignont, Reed, Palmer.
Theo Jackson will help at safety.
Butler and Bennett will be 9th and 10th linemen in rotation.
Only one senior in top 11 dlinemen - bodes well for future.
*Shy Tuttle - thinks he will be READY for Tech - but, won't play against them because of Techs blocking scheme. Does NOT see a redshirt. Will play vs. UF.
Kongbo has great athletic ability. Hoke really helping him.

Kippy Brown on talking about QB rotation.
Saying decision on starter needs to come soon to give more reps to him with number one offense in last 3 weeks of practice.
Both expect Dormady to start but JG to get a few meaningful series vs Tech.
See about 5-6 talented receivers that will be in rotation.
Expect to go 3 wides for vast majority of snaps.
Jennings, Smith, Byrd should be starters.
Kippy Expects a lot of double coverage on Jennings.

Back to just Doug:
D.Johnson is good 4th DE.
Secondary: Buchanan is nickel backup to Gaulden.
Shamburger is 4th corner.
Jackson is 4th safety.
Kirkland and Bituli are very good LBs. says again need depth.
When go to 3 LB set, prob play Austin Smith or move Abernathy to nickel and Gaulden to 3rd LB. hoping Sapp gets healthy. LB biggest concern on team.
Really likes both QD and JG. No mention of McBride except saying he's #3.
Didn't hear him discuss RBs other than saying Kelly can be very good.

Likes overall health of team.
Likes overall team speed. Most Butch has had.
Glad that staff has identified what almost all rotations will be.
Very upbeat and optimistic about the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 48 people
Also said to expect a different offense this year. Same basic scheme but more wrinkles than we've seen the first 4 seasons under Jones.

Reactions: 8 people

Biggest concerns:

This is what the pundits aren't considering.

Would like to see Sapp take this.

Help me Jesus.

Reactions: 1 person
I also heard Sheron Jones was back in campus and looks to shake up the starting WR group and break into the rotation.

so, he's gonna shuttle between Mt San Jacinto CC and the Vols...wow, what a commute...maybe he will but he won't be able to play until January 2018...:)

PS. Sheriron Jones

GO VOLS!

Biggest concerns:

So not a damn thing has changed at the LB spot.

Awesome. 🙄

Reactions: 2 people
In regards to the FB comment, to be fair not many college football offenses use a FB in the running game.

would still like to see it. We have also been pretty garbage with short yardage for a few years now.

I understand. I wouldn't be opposed to that. At least get under center and give the RB a running start, instead of getting in the pistol and having the RB start 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage

Reactions: 4 people
I guess "coach" Mathews forgot that we run a spread? What a way to waste an hour of my life.

On past shows, he has said that with QD as starter that we won't run the spread as much.
Take that for what it's worth. :whistling:

We're going to be in more pro sets this year, so his comments do make sense. A lot more under center, 2 TE sets.

Who has said this? Coach Jones has said that they run a pro style offense from the day he started. We may have some different wrinkles in the offense, but it will still be a spread, as it should be.

On past shows, he has said that with QD as starter that we won't run the spread as much.
Take that for what it's worth. :whistling:

Just proves to me that his info is pretty much worthless. I'd say that QD is suited to more of a pass oriented spread, and that is most likely what it will be. To the fans that apparently hate the spread, you do know that we had one of the most prolific offenses we've ever had last year? There is nothing wrong with the spread, the mighty bama is moving more to the spread, and the NFL more towards the spread as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I understand. I wouldn't be opposed to that. At least get under center and give the RB a running start, instead of getting in the pistol and having the RB start 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage

This just seems like common sense.
I would like to hear from someone with the opposite opinion of why we shouldn't do that.

Reactions: 2 people
I would like to hear from someone with the opposite opinion of why we shouldn't do that.

If you don't win at the line of scrimmage, it doesn't matter what you run. If your worried about snapping the ball so far back, why not run the QB sneak on all short yardage situations?

If you don't win at the line of scrimmage, it doesn't matter what you run. If your worried about snapping the ball so far back, why not run the QB sneak on all short yardage situations?

QB sneak and a run out of the I formation is not a fair comparison. Seems like you're equating the two. I do get your point about winning the line of scrimmage

Well, I'm not going to argue we should never go under center and use the I, but I do see the trade-off.

Under center handoff to a RB in the I (with or without leading blocker) is like tightening the choke on a shotgun: you may not be telling the defense precisely where the ball carrier is going...could be off-center, or off-guard to either side...but it's a pretty clear indicator for them. They pretty much know the guy is going somewhere between the left tackle and the right tackle (if it's a run play). So they can focus on defending the box. And just the box.

Back up to the pistol with the RB 7 yards deep, and you're giving up quick development of the play, but in exchange now you've sawed off the shotgun barrel. It's a real scatter shot, that RB can go anywhere from hash mark to hash mark, and beyond. Now you're forcing the D to defend a much broader space.

The latter works against slower or larger defenses. Forces them to cover the field, spread out. And once you spread them out, you can really get a decisive advantage at the point of your choosing (concentration of mass via surprise, for those using principles of war).

On the other hand, under center and I formation works better if the defense is small but quick, or if your offense has a significant size advantage over the other guys. For instance: we'd probably have been much better off just jamming I formation runs at App State last fall, slamming it straight into the box over and over again. Give up surprise and just go right at them with our greater size.

So...trade-off. Most of the time, in the SEC, we're better off in the spread. Even in short yardage situations. Simply too easy for very good SEC defenses to fill the box if they know pretty much where we're going.

Like I said starting off, that's not really the "opposite view" you were looking for, more like a balanced viewpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
So not a damn thing has changed at the LB spot.

Awesome. 🙄

You would have to have a new player to plug in for things to change. The new players are Freshmen and probably aren't ready yet even if they are more talented. With the revelation that Jumper will play all 3 spots you could see him there if Cortez struggles... and I have no issue with that. I am in the crowd that thinks he's substantially better than the haters think.

Reactions: 9 people
In regards to the FB comment, to be fair not many college football offenses use a FB in the running game.

I'd think Jakob Johnson would be perfect in that H-Back type role for the few times you'd want a "fullback" leading Kelly or Chandler.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back