Putting Dobbs NFL debut in PERSPECTIVE

Dobbs 4 Heisman

I think the first thing we have to realize when comparing Dobbs preseason debut to the other rookie QBs is how unique his experience has been compared to the likes of Watson, Trubisky, and Kizer. Thus far he's the only rookie to start a game and play against the opposing team's #1 defense. Watson, Trubisky, and Kizer all came in against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. And as you saw from how Dobbs performed after he settled down and started played against the backups himself, there is obviously a difference between playing a first team NFL defense the caliber of the New York Giants versus going against backups who might not be in the NFL in a few weeks. The speed of the Giants first string defense obviously shook him to start.

The second thing we have to realize is how different the plays Dobbs was running was from the plays Watson and Trubisky were running. I don't know how much you guys watched of Watson and Trubisky's performances but they were not asked to do as much as Dobbs was asked to do tonight. It was obvious that the Steelers coaches had a lot trust in Dobbs cause they didn't baby him. They had him doing full field reads from under center. If you watched Watson and Trubisky you saw they got a lot of roll outs where they only had to do half field reads to start. This gave them a bunch of easy completions. And if it was gonna be a full field read, they had Watson and Trubisky only throwing out of the shotgun formation. Compare that to Dobbs who was throwing mainly from under center and doing full field reads. Or at least being expected to do full field reads.

With that said, he still struggled badly to start. Those 2 INTs early were ugly. Obviously the speed of the Giants first team defense flustered him. Also the moment may have gotten to him as well. He was probably trying too hard to be perfect rather than just playing his game and it led to disastrous results. With that said, it was good for him to face this adversity cause it showed us his mental toughness. A lot of rookies would have just folded after such a start. But not Dobbs. He came back and hit Cobi Hamilton for a couple of nice deep throws and made some nice runs using his feet. He also showed his ability to make something out of nothing with a couple of nice throws off scrambles. Unfortunately neither resulted in completions because one was dropped on a third and long while another was turned back by a holding penalty.

All in all I'm extremely encouraged. This was a PERFECT start. Why perfect? Because Dobbs faced tremendous adversity. The type of adversity that makes many rookies fold. But he didn't flinch. He came back and finished the game strong showing poise and the promise his skill set holds. Remember even the great Kobe Bryant air balled a bunch of clutch shots as a rookie in the playoffs. And we all know how his career turned out. What makes a player great isn't facing adversity, it's overcoming it. Dobbs overcame tremendous adversity in what could have been a disastrous start and showed tremendous promise.

Reactions: 18 people
The scramble to find some inkling of an excuse for why Dobbs struggled so much tonight is hilarious. It's fine to simply say Dobbs had a bad night. Only delusional nitwits should be expecting rookie QB's of Dobbs caliber to walk in and play perfectly from the get go. He struggled, he had some good moments, and he will grow.

Chill out.

Reactions: 20 people
Will you never learn that it just makes you look that much more foolish when you do this?

PS- Big Ben's job still looks pretty secure.

Reactions: 9 people
I think I would just say it this way..."It was a rookie quarterback in his first game ever in the NFL." And then I would go to bed.

Reactions: 12 people
I don't know about the other guys but Watson came in super early in the game vs the panthers so I'd assume he played against starters for at least a little bit.

Reactions: 1 person
Also for a guy who says he never makes excuses I sure see a lot of excuses in that post.
1."The speed of the Giants"
2."The plays being ran"
3."Going against a first team"
4."Asked to do more than other rookies"

Reactions: 18 people
Chill out. You're massively predefending again...

Never been a more proper comment.

Its pretty simple, Dobbs was a good college QB, and after that....he will build some nice planes.

I hope he makes it in the NFL but I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
He looked just like he did at UT minus many of the long runs. It was the first game so I am not going to overreact, but there were no surprises present. I watched every snap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person
He looked just like he did at UT minus many of the long runs. It was the first game so I am not going to overreact, but there were no surprises present. I watched every snap.

Agreed. You can't blame any QB for struggling in their first start. But honestly I am still shocked that anyone drafted Josh Dobbs.

Reactions: 3 people
He's a rookie and anyone expecting anything more than they saw tonight was their fault. I thought he played great to be his very first game. He will get better.

Reactions: 13 people
I like Josh Dobbs in spite of your endorsement, and hope that he has a great NFL career, but I will continue to respect him if he does not. He is truly a great VFL.
We must remember that the goat had 28 int's his rookie season!

Reactions: 7 people
His picks were bad. Really bad. It was good to see him bounce back.

So a rookie has never thrown bad picks before? Especially in his first pro game?

It happens. The most important thing is that he bounced back. Made some great throws. This is all part of the PROCESS. Like I said even Kobe air balled clutch shots as a rookie before turning into one of the most clutch players in basketball history.

Adversity happens. Dobbs did a good job overcoming it.

You learn from failures and he failed a lot tonight. Failures are only pointless if you don't learn from them. He will get better and he's already better than Landry Jones.

Dobbs is a great person great athlete etc. he will never be a great NFL QB and that's ok he will get a contract and play a back up role for a couple years and then go on to be a highly successful man. He doesn't have the pin point accuracy to compete as a starte in the NFL. Getting drafted had more to do with his brain than his arm. If he can somehow learn accuracy at 22 good for him but it's not typically something someone learns. I am still proud that he was a Vol.

Reactions: 4 people
The scramble to find some inkling of an excuse for why Dobbs struggled so much tonight is hilarious. It's fine to simply say Dobbs had a bad night. Only delusional nitwits should be expecting rookie QB's of Dobbs caliber to walk in and play perfectly from the get go. He struggled, he had some good moments, and he will grow.

Chill out.

I hate you.

Reactions: 2 people
Started out nervous and slow but made some really nice throws and Dobbs being resilient bounced back nicely. Really liked the TD that got called back. You could see Tomlins smile like very nice! Hopefully he can push forward and find consistency in his game at this level!

Reactions: 2 people
Tomlin said he was satisfied with the performance. Said the jitters/turnovers are expected and that Dobbs bounced back and had great communication/command of playbook

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back