Know the opponent: Georgia Tech updates and articles

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I ran across this article and thought it might be interesting to have a thread for Georgia Tech news and updates.

newsEngin.19300326_100216-ga-tech-photos-HS08.jpg

Georgia Tech secondary ready to keep it simple, make plays

Reactions: 7 people
I'll be glad to help update from the GT side.

Today is our first practice.

We will have a scrimmages Saturday 8/12 that is open to the season ticket holders. Will be able to pass a lot more info on then.

Only person out so far is true FR Tariq Carpenter.

Main position battle is QB. Matthew Jordan is back healthy and we have a 4 horse race for QB.

Reactions: 13 people

We will have a scrimmages Saturday 8/12 that is open to the season ticket holders. Will be able to pass a lot more info on then.

Main position battle is QB. Matthew Jordan is back healthy and we have a 4 horse race for QB.

Hopefully neither team will be down many players because of injuries. I know we just lost an OL for the year. Hopefully they're both as good as they can be, and finish the game injury free.

Reactions: 6 people

Strengths & Weaknesses for GA TECH?

Reactions: 1 person

No matter what, I love your posting name.

I take it you liked our game with them last year? Dobb nailed boot.

Reactions: 6 people
Hopefully neither team will be down many players because of injuries. I know we just lost an OL for the year. Hopefully they're both as good as they can be, and finish the game injury free.

Yes, hopefully no more injuries. Was the OL a big loss for y'all? Hopefully he returns healthy and ready to play.

Reactions: 3 people

Strength would be OL, skilled positions, and Secondary. Our leading tackler was a safety, and we have the number 1 corner in pass break ups in the acc from last year. We also have a DE who led the acc in QB hurries. Weakness based on last year would be DT and LB. depth at DT and LB is a weakness as well.

Strength would be OL, skilled positions, and Secondary. Our leading tackler was a safety, and we have the number 1 corner in pass break ups in the acc from last year. We also have a DE who led the acc in QB hurries. Weakness based on last year would be DT and LB. depth at DT and LB is a weakness as well.

DT and LB are two places you don't want to be thin. Ask us about last year. . .

Reactions: 1 person

I posted this on another thread here.

We have a 4 way QB battle. Paul Johnson has said this is our deepest position and he's comfortable with any of the four starting. I personally think Matthew Jordan will be the starter. He started @ VT last year and led us to a win.

If he starts expect to see a ton of running up the middle with him. He will run a lot of midline IMO.

Lucas Johnson is the best passer of the group (Rs Fr) and Jay Jones is the most electric (Rs Fr) of the group.

B Back is Derrick Mills. Our star player. He's a hoss. Tough bruising running style. Not a lot of top end speed but he's a bulldozer.

A Back's are JJ Green, Qua Searcy and Clinton Lynch. All three are really good players. Clinton Lynch is our big play threat and is great in passing game. We rotate A Backs in and out every play (they actually being the play call in from the sidelines) our 4th A back position is still up for grabs. I expect it to be Nathan Cottrell a speedy back from Tennessee. We will most likely rotate Green, Lynch and Search with Cottrell playing sparingly.

WR we have Ricky Jeune and Brad Stewart starting. Jeune is a good blocker and has steady hands. Same goes for Stewart. Stewart really gets after it blocking has has great hands. Just doesn't get a ton of separation. The backup spots will be determined in camp. Most likely Jalen Camp will be the 3rd WR.

LT is Jahaziel Lee. Played a bunch as a Freshman last year and played well. He struggled a bit and Spring ball according to Coach Johnson. He's athletic and excells at getting to the second level. Backup will likely be Jake Stickler who hasn't played much.

LG is Parker Braun. Played a ton as a FR last year and started majority of the year. Our best lineman. He's tough and physical. Really good player. Backup position is up for grabs but it will be someone who hasn't played much. Could be a true FR.

C is Kenny Cooper. Another one who played as a true FR last year. He started @ VT last year due to injury and played a lot in the bowl game. He's a good player. Backup spot is wide open. If Cooper were to get hurt we'd likely slide out starting RT (Marshall) back to C as he's played there before.

RG is Will Bryan. Has played a lot and is a proven lineman. Another good player up front for us. Same as LG the backup spot is open for grabs. Shamire Devine is the first lineman off the bench at G right now. He has all the potential in the world but has never kept his weight down. Hes anywhere from 380-400 pounds. Coaches have always wanted him in the 330 range. He's good for a few snaps a game.

RT is Andrew Marshall. Has seen a lot of snaps in his time at Tech. Solid lineman. Backup is up for grabs. Stickler could slide over here if needed.

We have 5 lineman coming in. I expect a couple to make the 2 deep.

Our eligibility is as follows

QB Matthew Jordan - RS JR
A Back Clinton Lynch - RS JR
A Back JJ Green - RS SR
B Back Dedrick Mills - So
WR Ricky Jeune - RS SR
WR Brad Stewart - JR
LT Jahaziel Lee - So
LG Parker Braun - So
C Kenny Cooper - So
RG Will Bryan - RS Jr
RT Andrew Marshall - SR

Hope that helps.

Be glad to answer any questions that I can

Reactions: 9 people
Yes, hopefully no more injuries. Was the OL a big loss for y'all? Hopefully he returns healthy and ready to play.

Chance Hall was a big loss. He will probably be out for the season and red shirt. Luckily, the O line is a unit which has a lot of depth for the Vols this year.

Kelley runs all over GT..Opens passing game up and we have 2 receivers over 100 yds in a game..WOO HOO GBO:clapping::dance2:

DT we have Desmond Branch, Kyle Cerge-Henderson and Brandon Adams as our main three. Adams should be a bigger factor this year with his weight loss.
Would agree with the other Tech poster that this isn't our strongest area.

We signed a ton of LB/ATH players who could play several spots. Going to be looking for Bruce Jordan-Swilling and Jaquan Henderson to both possibly be in the 2 deep. We run more of a 4-2-5 though.

Trust me, we know lol. It's been an issue for a few years now. We got a transfers last year that played DE and we are moving him inside we also had a big DT around 340 who couldn't stay on the field because of conditioning issues but he worked hard to drop weight this off season. We are hoping these two guys will help with that issue at DT. DE we should be fine. As far as LB we are hoping Bruce swilling (true freshaman with offers everywhere) will help there, but you never know until the season starts.

Chance Hall was a big loss. He will probably be out for the season and red shirt. Luckily, the O line is a unit which has a lot of depth for the Vols this year.

Man that stinks, hopefully he can get a medical redshirt and come back healthy.

I work for a tech fan. Jaquan Henderson and Brant Mitchell standing out at LB. They are also thrilled to have "stolen top Vol targets" Jaylon King and Justice Dingle.

I work for a tech fan. Jaquan Henderson and Brant Mitchell standing out at LB. They are also thrilled to have "stolen top Vol targets" Jaylon King and Justice Dingle.

Brant Mitchell was a stater for us last year. He will start again this year.

Henderson was mentioned by players on the team that he has impressed in workouts.

He must not pay too much attention to recruiting. We know King and Dingle weren't takes for UT.

We really stole King from Vandy.

Reactions: 2 people
Brant Mitchell was a stater for us last year. He will start again this year.

Henderson was mentioned by players on the team that he has impressed in workouts.

He must not pay too much attention to recruiting. We know King and Dingle weren't takes for UT.

We really stole King from Vandy.

King was probably a take for UT idk about dingle though.

Who? Dingle...lol.

our 4th A back position is still up for grabs. I expect it to be Nathan Cottrell a speedy back from Tennessee

Lol buddy we know all about Nate Cottrell. Pouring one out (into my mouth) for all those who perished in the raging dumpster fires that ravaged his recruiting forum thread a few years ago. Seems like it was just yesterday.

VN Store

Back