GT - Why cut block?

jtupnsmoke

I've been watching some GT film to get an idea of their offense, and just don't understand why they cut block so much. It seems like a lazy and 1 shot try of blocking. If you miss or are shed, then you're laying on the ground.

Reactions: 2 people
I just goes with that old crappy offense they run. You know it's "Tradition".

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Maybe the O-Line doesn't know how to block properly and the HC just tells them to go after the D-Lineman's knees.

Pretty much a dirty and lazy way to run their crappy offense.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's face is: there is a lot of crying going on amongst defensive players nowadays. Most of it revolves around the now prevalent use of cut blocking. Cut blocking is not new in the NFL, and neither is the technique used to prevent it. First, it is interesting to note why so many teams utilize cut blocking.

The last stop before the bus stop

The biggest mismatch every Sunday is an offensive lineman versus a defensive lineman. No comparison. Most college offensive linemen are kids that were recruited to play defensive line, but did not pan out because they were not athletic enough to play defense. Hence the phrase last stop before the bus stop. If you can't make it on offensive line, then you're taking the bus home.

Therefore, cut blocking is popular because it helps to level the playing field. Simply, the thinking goes that if you can't block him, just cut him. I've read countless times over the past few weeks that smaller, more athletic offensive linemen are perfect for zone blocking. Meh. Not really. Alex Gibbs preferred smaller linemen because they cut better. I think it's one of nature's laws that fat guys hate diving on the ground repeatedly. Regardless, it is somewhat illogical to say that more athletic guys are needed to cut block because they are so unathletic they cannot block the vastly more athletic defensive linemen. Got it?

Anyways, it's important to point that out because it is the first step in understanding how to defeat a cut block.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/21/4068738/nfl-rules-cut-block

Reactions: 3 people
Somebody has to give orthopedic surgeons some work to do. No way we walk away from that game without having at least two major injuries to our DLine/LB's.

Somebody has to give orthopedic surgeons some work to do. No way we walk away from that game without having at least two major injuries to our DLine/LB's.

Not sure I want to voice that out loud, but watching some of their games, someone is always getting hurt. There's also a lot of close calls where they barely miss on a chop block that would definitely hurt the dlineman.

They cut block because they are weak.

4094543967_44c73a4911.jpg

Reactions: 18 people
Not sure I want to voice that out loud, but watching some of their games, someone is always getting hurt. There's also a lot of close calls where they barely miss on a chop block that would definitely hurt the dlineman.

While I can't find any stats to back it up, we don't seem to commit more 'chop blocks' than the teams we play which I think is amazing since we do cut block so much. We are actually one of the least penalized teams overall in the country, ranking 15th in 2016 at 4.7/gm and 2nd in 2015 at 3.5/gm.

When a chop block is called against us, many times the defensive lineman is actually holding one of our offensive linemen to prevent him from getting to the second level while the guy who is supposed to cut the d lineman gets called for the chop. Defensive holding is a penalty however, but it's hardly called on a d lineman.

You could also jab your fingers in their eyes. Anyway you want to do it, you go for the face, because that's what they are exposing as they come at you.

Reactions: 1 person
I can see this being an advantage of cut blocks. If you aren't big enough to stand up block, then taking the legs out might be a better option.

In the wishbone/triple option offense, cut blocks (not chop blocks, just cut blocks) are often more about speed than size.

Sure, cut blocking helps an under-sized OLineman with his size disadvantage. But even more, it allows him to very rapidly get around to the side of the DLineman, get in the way of where the DL wants to go. Diving in front of the guy, to either side, is a lot faster than moving your entire body in front of him to that side.

And the triple-o depends a lot on movement at the snap. On things flowing in the right directions, as the play is drawn up.

When the QB and one or two RBs start flowing in one direction, just behind the line of scrimmage, the OLine is supposed to be like sandpaper, scraping off defenders as they try to follow the play in the same direction. Slow them down, stop them, so that the offense has a numerical advantage by the time the play gets out to the flat.

So, a diving cut block will often get you there when moving your feet and body might not.

I think that's actually the primary purpose of the cut block in this offense. The fact that it works well even with undersized OLinemen is just a side benefit that allows Paul Johnson and other triple-o coaches some wiggle room in recruiting.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back