[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXkVrgzPb4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnHGY1Yex0Y[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD7IyjfT2rU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwvWB4GcTw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUJhUmVUjI[/youtube]

VQ Highlights: https://player.vimeo.com/video/227561546

DF7b1vNXcAA7oez.jpg:large

Tim Jordan

A lot of the attention was on the quarterbacks, as expected. Both Dormady and Guarantano looked pretty sharp with their passes. Both also showed good arm strength. Once again, I was impressed with Dormady’s accuracy, especially on the intermediate to deep balls. Guarantano also had some nice deep passes. I still think Dormady will start against Georgia Tech on September 4, but really look for Guarantano to get some meaningful snaps in that game as well.

Freshman WR Jordan Murphy, a four-star, made an impressive diving catch down the sideline from Dormady. Three-star WR Josh Palmer also had some nice catches and moves, drawing praise from Butch several times. Princeton Fant already has an SEC body and looked pretty good as well.

Fox Sports

DF7WPumUIAAtvRc.jpg:large

DF7WPulVYAAK8-o.jpg:large

DF7WDFUXYAAtiA7.jpg:large

[twitter]https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/891287534172557313[/twitter]

Marquez Callaway is now No. 1.

Brandon Johnson is now No. 7
Rob Lewis on number changes

ON THE LINE: Freshman Trey Smith was working at right guard during individual drills. Newcomer K'Rojhn Calbert, who looks every bit of the 6-foot-5 and 316 pounds at which he's listed, was working at right tackle behind Brett Kendrick and Marcus Tatum. Jack Jones and Venzell Boulware were at left guard during a blocking drill.
There’s a lot to like about all three freshmen additions to the backfield. Jordan, in particular, looks like he’s more or less made of steel. He’s compact and powerful. He doesn’t look like a fun guy to tackle. That’s not to suggest Chandler and Coleman look like chumps. They absolutely do not look like chumps. Jordan is just already built like an upperclassman.
Freshmen LaTrell Bumphus and James Brown have certainly added some quality depth to that position. Bumphus already physically resembles an SEC tight end at 6-foot-3, 258 pounds, and Brown has some work to do in that department, but that’s what was expected from a converted high school quarterback.
Kirkland and Bituli were in helmets and shorts and jogging around the practice field and watching the other linebackers go through position drills during the open portion of practices.
All five of the freshman defensive backs looked the part athletically. Labruzza in particular showed a good combination of size and athleticism that already has generated some buzz from summer workouts, while Jackson and Gray both moved well at safety.
Patrick Brown

John Kelly was impressive as both a running back and receiver today. Kelly showed off his hands in quarterback-pass catcher drills and displayed his trademarked toughness in some of the running back drills as well.

Freshman running back Ty Chandler may look small, but he has quick feet. Chandler is listed at 5-foot-11, 195 pounds on the official UT roster, which makes him larger than sophomore Carlin Fils-Aime (who’s listed at 5-foot-11, 183 pounds). Yet the freshman still looks smaller in weight than both Fils-Aime and junior John Kelly. Fellow freshman Tim Jordan filled out his jersey nicely and showed some good footwork as well.

Marquez Callaway showed off his solid pass catching ability, and Latrell Williams, who redshirted last season, got to display the speed coaches raved about when he came in last year.

Josh Smith appeared to be recovered from his surgery earlier this year, as he was with the receivers and didn’t look too hampered by any nagging symptoms.
N. Rutherford

(L-R) Drew Richmond, Jack Jones, Venzell Boulware, Trey Smith and Marcus Tatum. Coleman Thomas and Brett Kendrick started with the second-unit after missing spring practice. The unit did lots of work with the medicine balls and sleds.

The quarterbacks both looked sharp in basic pat-and-go drills. Mostly throwing go’s, seams and crossing routes. Like in the spring, Quinten Dormady and Jarrett Guarantano were on opposite sides of the field, with Mike Canales mostly watching Dormady and Larry Scott keeping an eye on the redshirt freshman. Some balls definitely hit the group, but overall, but quarterbacks had a nice day while I was watching. At receiver, Brandon Johnson and Josh Smith, who was challenged by Butch Jones, both made some nice catches .

The linebackers and safeties both did ball-tracking drills — defending the pass and run. With the LBs later switching to tackle dummy drills. Was good to see Quart’e Sapp looking explosive.

A lot of newcomers looked good up close, but tight end LaTrell Bumphus might've taken home the "First Impression Award." He looked all of 260 pounds, but the freshman was moving really well and showcased some nice hands. It’s in our highlight package, as Bumphus made a good adjustment on one rep that turned a lot of heads.

Up close, freshman tailback Tim Jordan has the look of a SEC running back. The rave reviews from this summer appeared warranted. On the flip-side, freshman wideouts Jordan Murphy and Jacquez Jones are going to need some long hours in the weight room and lots of protein shakes.
Simonton

Last edited:
Reactions: 88 people
My bad Fingers we had the same idea. Tell me how to delete my post or have someone delete it for me.

Maybe it's me but that least amount of dropped balls I have seen on opening day shoot much less opening week....nice...thx fingers

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you to the person that deleted my post. My apologies to Fingers I had no idea that he made a similar post.

Reactions: 2 people
Thank you to the person that deleted my post. My apologies to Fingers I had no idea that he made a similar post.

He always covers it but don't apologize for trying to help other fans out. Nothing wrong with that or not knowing.

Reactions: 10 people
I like to see them working on ball security. We need a ton of work on ball security after the turnovers last year! I feel a 9-3 season or better is likely as long as we stay healthy and win the turnover margins against tough opponents starting with GT.

I hope that Jones working with the WRs means he is EXPECTING to have a QB that can deliver the mid to long range balls with very good accuracy. I would never knock a QB that was the major reason last years team set offensive records. But, we all know Josh's deep balls lacked accuracy!

My adrenaline is pumping at full speed!! Give me a helmet and some pads!! I'm ready to go BJ!! I am really anxious to see how much success our gridiron Vols will achieve this year. Honestly just beat Florida again and my year is a success.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back