2017 feels a lot like 1998

Dobbs 4 Heisman

I know I said we could be in for another year like 1998 last season. But that was mostly wishful thinking. There really weren't many parallels between 2016 and 1998. I just wanted Dobbs, Sutton, Barnett, Hurd, Kamara, and JRM to go out as champions. If we're being honest, this year resembles 1998 a lot more than last year. In 2016 we were highly touted. We were the favorites to win the East and were even considered a dark horse playoff team. And we still had our legendary senior QB on the team. That's very different from 1998 when we had just lost our legendary senior QB. We were not expected to win the East let alone contend for a national championship.

When I look at 2017, it starts to look a lot like 1998. (1) We no longer have the legendary Josh Dobbs just as we no longer had the legendary Peyton Manning in 1998. (2) We have a long losing streak to Alabama that most feel we have no chance of breaking. In 1998 we had a long losing streak to Florida and most didn't feel we could beat them either. (3) We are being severely underrated by the media. Nobody expects us to win the East let alone compete for a national championship. (4) And like 1998, we still have a ton of talent on campus that is hungry and motivated to prove themselves.

Guys the saying that "this feels like 98" has never been more appropriate. I really think we are in for a special season. We're gonna shock a lot of people with how good we are.

Reactions: 19 people
I hope you're right because 1998 was a fun year. I didn't make squat back then living in Cary, NC but somehow managed to go to the UF, S. Carolina, SEC CG, and NC games.

That team got better and better each week.

Reactions: 6 people
The Florida and Arkansas games were my favorite games that year. Was at both and damn did I have a great time! I hope D4H is right....

Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
I hope you're right because 1998 was a fun year. I didn't make squat back then living in Cary, NC but somehow managed to go to the UF, S. Carolina, SEC CG, and NC games.

Cary is nice. I lived in Clayton off 42 near garner for a few years.

Please stop

This year won't be like 98

I wish it would

But it won't

Those are not fair expectations at all, especially with Alabama in this league

Reactions: 10 people

Small world, I guess. I used to work for CP&L and lived in Apex 92 through 97 off and on. I live about half way between Tampa and the over grown truckstop that is Gainesville now. God I hate Fl. I'm trying to move back to home sweet home in east TN.

Reactions: 1 person
I know I said we could be in for another year like 1998 last season. But that was mostly wishful thinking. There really weren't many parallels between 2016 and 1998. I just wanted Dobbs, Sutton, Barnett, Hurd, Kamara, and JRM to go out as champions. If we're being honest, this year resembles 1998 a lot more than last year. In 2016 we were highly touted. We were the favorites to win the East and were even considered a dark horse playoff team. And we still had our legendary senior QB on the team. That's very different from 1998 when we had just lost our legendary senior QB. We were not expected to win the East let alone contend for a national championship.

When I look at 2017, it starts to look a lot like 1998. (1) We no longer have the legendary Josh Dobbs just as we no longer had the legendary Peyton Manning in 1998. (2) We have a long losing streak to Alabama that most feel we have no chance of breaking. In 1998 we had a long losing streak to Florida and most didn't feel we could beat them either. (3) We are being severely underrated by the media. Nobody expects us to win the East let alone compete for a national championship. (4) And like 1998, we still have a ton of talent on campus that is hungry and motivated to prove themselves.

Guys the saying that "this feels like 98" has never been more appropriate. I really think we are in for a special season. We're gonna shock a lot of people with how good we are.

Have u ever looked at the talent on that 98 team. Al Wilson, Price, Clifton, Lewis, Henry, Deon Grant and Ellis all were drafted and made pro bowls. Tee Martin, Coleman, Ced Wilson, Raynoch Thompson, Goodrich, Bryson and Darwin Walker were all drafted and played multiple years in the NFL, except for Goodrich, who had legal troubles. John Henderson, who had pro bowl years and at the least an 8 year career was a prop 48 and couldn't play on that team. I hope UT has that kind of talent on the 2017 team, but I doubt it.

Reactions: 3 people
Al Wilson, Will Bartholomew, Raynoch Thompson, Cedrick Wilson, Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, Peerless Price, Jamal Lewis, Deon Grant, Jeff Hall-- the 1998 team had some of the best players in UT history. Our current players will really have to step up to play at that level. I'm not sure Team 121 has a leader like Al Wilson or skill players like Wilson, Henry, Stephens and Lewis. We have a lot of talent, though, so maybe they'll hit their stride this year.

No more comparisons to the "glory days" of '98, it has its own special identity. Just go out and establish an identity as 2017 National Champs.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree there are some parallels. But it takes a lot of wishful thinking to hope for similar results.

OTOH, I love the optimism. Where do I sign?

Reactions: 3 people
Cary is nice. I lived in Clayton off 42 near garner for a few years.

Sure. Just SE of Raleigh.:hi:

Small world, I guess. I used to work for CP&L and lived in Apex 92 through 97 off and on. I live about half way between Tampa and the over grown truckstop that is Gainesville now. God I hate Fl. I'm trying to move back to home sweet home in east TN.

I spent most of the football seasons the last 2 years in ET. It is so much fun. I'm trying to figure out how to make it happen this year. The schedule is a bit more difficult this year for planning.

We're gonna beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. You just watch.

dreams.gif

Reactions: 9 people
Make it stop.

You don't think Dobbs is a Tennessee Football legend?

He's only #2 all-time in total TDs scored for a career, #3 all-time in total yards gained for a career, #2 all-time in total yards for a season, and #1 all-time in total TDs for a season. He also averaged more total yards per game and more total TDs per game over his career than Peyton Manning. He led the program to its first back to back 9 win seasons in over a decade and led the program to 3 consecutive bowl wins for the first time in over two decades. That's already a mouth full and I didn't even get to his sterling record of community service, his incredible academic record, and his penchant for unforgettable plays like the Hail Mary against Georgia that will live in Tennessee lore forever.

By the numbers and by the memories he created, Dobbs is the very definition of a Tennessee Football legend.

Reactions: 7 people
Don't forget Shawn Bryson!

With that said, would you take the '98 group or the '93 group with Garner, Hayden, Stewart, and Mose Phillips?

Garner and Stewart had 1000+ yards seasons in the NFL. Lewis and Henry had multiple 1000+ yards in the NFL. Lewis even had 2000+ yards in one season and ended up with over 10,000 yards for his career. Don't get me started on why Lewis is not in the NFL Hall of Fame and Terrell Davis is. Lewis has more career yards than Davis, a better 2000 yard season than Davis and 1 Super Bowl win compared to Davis' 2 Super Bowl wins. Everytime I think about it, I get irate. Lewis should and better be in the NFL Hall of Fame and soon. Plus, Bryson had about 6 good years in the NFL with multiple 500+ yard seasons. 99% sure Bryson had a 75 yard TD run for Detroit one year on his way to another 600 yard rushing season as the fullback. So, Lewis, Henry, Bryson and Stephens beat Garner, Stewart, Hayden and Phillips, imo.

Btw, I believe Hayden had a lot more yards than Stephens in the NFL. Stephens never made it in the NFL even tho, he was drafted. Hayden didn't last long either, but I am pretty sure he had more moments in the NFL than Stephens.

I love Garner, who I believe had several 1500+ yard season with rushing and receiving combined. But, as good as Garner was, Jamal Lewis is the best UT RB , when it comes to success in the NFL, hands down

Yeah, I looked it up. Hayden had 748 total yards in 4 seasons with 3 teams in the NFL and 4 TDs. Apparently, Stephens never played in a regular season game in the NFL. But, still that year when Stephens was the main RB for UT and went off against Florida in the Swamp will never be forgotten by me or any other UT fan

Last edited:
You don't think Dobbs is a Tennessee Football legend?

He's only #2 all-time in total TDs scored for a career, #3 all-time in total yards gained for a career, #2 all-time in total yards for a season, and #1 all-time in total TDs for a season. He also averaged more total yards per game and more total TDs per game over his career than Peyton Manning. He led the program to its first back to back 9 win seasons in over a decade and led the program to 3 consecutive bowl wins for the first time in over two decades. That's already a mouth full and I didn't even get to his sterling record of community service, his incredible academic record, and his penchant for unforgettable plays like the Hail Mary against Georgia that will live in Tennessee lore forever.

By the numbers and by the memories he created, Dobbs is the very definition of a Tennessee Football legend.

You don't get to be called a "Legend" by losing to Vandy and USC in your senior season, being 0-4 vs Alabama, winless in the Swamp, and Champion only of Life. Josh was a solid leader and a unique talent with the football. Not a legend, and not even close.

Reactions: 18 people
Teams by ranking since 90 purely my opinion):

Somewhere down the list is the 16 team, so the 17 team would have a lot of ground to make up to equal the 98 team. Not being negative, just real.

VN Store

Back