New head injury study

It's going to be flag football with pads and helmet in 10 years.

Not complaining. There is alot of enjoyment in this sport but also alot of health problems.

Reactions: 5 people
It's going to be flag football with pads and helmet in 10 years.

Not complaining. There is alot of enjoyment in this sport but also alot of health problems.

Soon we will just have robots play sports and we will watch them as other robots bring us our refreshments.

Reactions: 3 people
Bye bye football, it's the beginning of the end. Too many nanny state members of congress hell bent on protecting people from themselves will be the end of football as it's currently being played. I give it 2 years, this year and maybe next.

Reactions: 5 people
Solution might be you sign a waiver before every season stating you know the risks of head injury and perm brain damage and will not seek further compensation

Reactions: 2 people
Don't know the answer but do know that the NFL is not the only occupation that has hazards for those that choose to participate.

Folks that work in industries the require repetitive work with their hands - get carpal tunnel.

Folks that work with computers and have to stare at the screen day in and day out - have eyesight impact.

Folks that serve in the military risk their lives for their country for minimal pay.

Race car drivers have crashes that can kill them or handicap them for life.

Folks that build tall building, bridges, etc. risk falls.

Long term truck drivers also run the risk of memory loss and other issues as a result of the driving big trucks day in and day out.

You educate folks about the dangers of anything they do. You give them instruction on how to minimize the dangers and you let them decide if the $$'s paid is worth the risk. If not, they get a different job with risk they are willing to accept.

Reactions: 22 people
Bye bye football, it's the beginning of the end. Too many nanny state members of congress hell bent on protecting people from themselves will be the end of football as it's currently being played. I give it 2 years, this year and maybe next.

We are headed to a society were everyone stays indoors and avoids contact with others.

Solution might be you sign a waiver before every season stating you know the risks of head injury and perm brain damage and will not seek further compensation

Pretty much this. I mean there is so much information out there now. We will reach a point at which players simply won't be able to claim ignorance anymore.

My biggest concern, if I had any actual stake in the matter other than being a fan of the game, would be the effect that all this information is having on parents allowing their sons to play. That is what will kill the game. Not lawsuits. Still wayyy too much money coming in rather than going out.

Pretty much this. I mean there is so much information out there now. We will reach a point at which players simply won't be able to claim ignorance anymore.

My biggest concern, if I had any actual stake in the matter other than being a fan of the game, would be the effect that all this information is having on parents allowing their sons to play. That is what will kill the game. Not lawsuits. Still wayyy too much money coming in rather than going out.

Bingo.

Does soccer get banned too?

http://equipmentmanagers.org/featured-story/concussions-more-prevalent-in-girls-soccer-than-football

Football has been at the forefront of the national discussion regarding head injuries in recent years, but it’s actually the other football that is just as dangerous to high school athletes.

In particular, girls’ soccer players suffer concussions at a higher rate than football players, according to statistics from the National Federation of State High School Associations from the 2013-14 season.

In a population of 374,565 players across the nation, there were an estimated 55,598 concussions — a rate of 14.8 percent. Football players suffered concussions at a rate of 13.5 percent in 1,094,949 players.

Those currently invested will continue to play. The future is unlikely to be as positive for the sport.

Much of this is an issue because the sport lied and covered up the real impact until it just couldn't be contained any longer.

The study is a little skewed because it's only been studied on players who had imbalanced psychological symptoms or specific medical injuries. So the sample is kinda concentrated.

But I do think that many years of head trauma will cause some sort of issues.

1. These studies have not been done on players who played after implementation of new safety rules of contact, equipment upgrades, rules for sitting out after concussion, etc...

2. I could be wrong but was there a sample of brains from non-football players? Players of other active sports? I didn't see one. Science usually requires a control group to be widely accepted. Maybe a majority of people have this regardless of football participation. Or maybe it is related to active sports where running is involved jarring the head. Maybe the heat of summer practices causes this. Sounds dumb but who knows unless those groups are also studied. Using only 1 test sample tells you very little.

3. We did not get any results on what percentage of these players ever experienced any symptoms from their injuries. Some people may technically have this disorder but it does not affect their life. More research needs to be done on how common life-altering symptoms result from this type of injury and to what extent these players experienced it.

I believe that there is a likely a correlation to brain injuries from football (at least the old way that it was played), but this study is full of holes that need to be filled with more research and data.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
1. These studies have not been done on players who played after implementation of new safety rules of contact, equipment upgrades, rules for sitting out after concussion, etc...

2. I could be wrong but was there a sample of brains from non-football players? Players of other active sports? I didn't see one. Science usually requires a control group to be widely accepted. Maybe a majority of people have this regardless of football participation. Or maybe it is related to active sports where running is involved jarring the head. Maybe the heat of summer practices causes this. Sounds dumb but who knows unless those groups are also studied. Using only 1 test sample tells you very little.

3. We did not get any results on what percentage of these players ever experienced any symptoms from their injuries. Some people may technically have this disorder but it does not affect their life. More research needs to be done on how common life-altering symptoms result from this type of injury and to what extent these players experienced it.

I believe that there is a likely a correlation to brain injuries from football (at least the old way that it was played), but this study is full of holes that need to be filled with more research and data.

Agree - it could be that most Americans have this and get it from activity unrelated to football or even sports activity.

Amusement park rides also jerk the head. Lots of folks go to Disney and Universal as well as frequent carnivals that pop up across the USA every spring and summer.

Not saying that this doesn't happen in football - just that life is full of activities that have consequences. Most of those don't get studied because there isn't $$'s to be collected by lawyers.

Take away the helmets

I know this sounds truly radical, but I would seriously consider this. Rather than taking them away entirely, perhaps a throwback to simply padding and not "armored up".

In the 90s, the helmet became not just a piece of equipment for protection, but a weapon.

Rules now help prevent the "weaponizing" of a helmet to a certain extent, but it is still there.

If you watch old football games, people didn't lead with their head (because they wore leather helmets). They intentionally led with their shoulder to prevent head injury.

The study is flawed,It only using brains that were donated so its only brains that when the individual was alive showed signs of CTE and also they use mostly brains from players who played in the 50s,60s,and 70s. Yall think its a coincidence that this study is released right before football season

Reactions: 1 person
Is the future of football in jeopardy? Of 111 NFL players, 110 had brains showing chronic degenerative injuries. What will be done to handle this problem?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html

[COLOR=""]The real question should be, "who is the one slacker who is afraid to stick their head in there and leave nothing on the field"?[/COLOR]

Seriously tho. This is about to be the clash of two value systems in America. The guy joking above who says remove the helmets actually may be on to something. Sounds crazy, but the sport is drastically different than it was pre helmet. Even with leather the safety ain't running up into the hole at full speed laying head on into the RB. No amount of gear is going to take this kind of shock out of the game.

Plus, guys are playing year round from age 5 to nearly 40! Add in all the practices and camps to the games and your talking about literally thousands of head collisions. I'm not even considering the dozens of other bodily issues either. Honestly not a good sport to begin for this reason.

Last edited:
Just wait until the non-NFL players bring suit against the colleges. There are so many of them and they know these athletic departments make a lot of money. Probably will make it a liability for colleges to host football programs.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back