Dormady favored to be starting QB

And he will hold the job until he costs us a game

the same situation could happen with J.G. also.
He could be named the starter, then once he costs us a game, he will be benched.
At this point, I see us as having good receivers. Which ever of the two q.b.'s who can get the ball to the receivers, down the field and not have interceptions, let's start that guy. In my mind, I think it is Dormady....
Once we play in the Tech game, and we can see them both in action, we will know which one is best suited to lead the team.

Reactions: 2 people
definitely believe QD will start, but...wouldn't doubt seeing JG playing some also...could be a heck of a combo...Double Death...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

What was the saying? " Only the shadow knows" ( or something like that).
In this case only the coaching staff knows.(maybe)
Only "time will tell".

There is a running assumption that QD is less talented than JG. That does not appear to be the case from what we've seen to this point. QD looked comfortable running the O. He was allowed to run more of the O. IMHO, the competition wasn't as close as some wanted to make it coming out of spring. That can change... but JG has ground to make up.

QD may be the most universally underestimated UT QB I've seen since Tee.

Reactions: 20 people
There is a running assumption that QD is less talented than JG. That does not appear to be the case from what we've seen to this point. QD looked comfortable running the O. He was allowed to run more of the O. IMHO, the competition wasn't as close as some wanted to make it coming out of spring. That can change... but JG has ground to make up.

QD may be the most universally underestimated UT QB I've seen since Tee.
Agree

PS- I like all three guys and will pull for one just as strong as the other. I'm just trying to "read" the little info we have. The most telling to me wasn't the completion % in spring... both were good. The most telling thing seemed to be how smooth the O seemed to operate with Dormady at the helm.

Reactions: 1 person
Everything in me says go with JG. Run the same offense ( heavy read option, slight to heavy run play calling ) you had been running with Dobbs at QB. I'm worried about this line and qd adjusting to and picking up blitz packages if we throw the ball more than in the past. If you establish the run and lean run the defense is much easier to read and block.

On the other hand, I'm not at practice so I really don't know what we have with qd at the helm. If I'm CBJ, I tell Shoop to throw the kitchen sink at our passing attack and see if qd and this line can handle it. If not, I'm going jg, with lots of read option, and a slight to heavy run lean. Heavy for weaker defenses that we can simply maul down the field.

Everything in me says go with JG. Run the same offense ( heavy read option, slight to heavy run play calling ) you had been running with Dobbs at QB. I'm worried about this line and qd adjusting to and picking up blitz packages if we throw the ball more than in the past. If you establish the run and lean run the defense is much easier to read and block.

On the other hand, I'm not at practice so I really don't know what we have with qd at the helm. If I'm CBJ, I tell Shoop to throw the kitchen sink at our passing attack and see if qd and this line can handle it. If not, I'm going jg, with lots of read option, and a slight to heavy run lean. Heavy for weaker defenses that we can simply maul down the field.

I don't think Guarantano is anywhere near the same runner as Dobbs. The offense will change no matter who wins the job.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't think Guarantano is anywhere near the same runner as Dobbs. The offense will change no matter who wins the job.

No way. Dobbs is one of the better running QBs I've ever seen. I still think jg has a little more wiggle in him to make someone miss, or at least not get blasted and fumble.

No way. Dobbs is one of the better running QBs I've ever seen. I still think jg has a little more wiggle in him to make someone miss, or at least not get blasted and fumble.

Just not the heavy workload that Dobbs braved. Guarantano is more straight line fast and also had truncated seasons his last two years starting due to injury.

I trust that they'll start whoever they think gives us the best chance to win. Personally, if it was a tie I'd give it to the guy with the most remaining eligibility rather than reverting to the old "you stay, you play" axiom.

Im ready for a qb that trades some of that wiggle for an elite arm. People assume QD is going to get blasted because he's white but he outweighs JG by almost 30 lbs. Id be worried about JG getting blasted.

JG isn't Dobbs. Dobbs I believe became UT's all time QB rusher.... at a school that had guys like Heath Shuler, Tee Martin, and Jimmy Streater. With either guy, they're going to be expected to throw more and run less. Probably a lot less.

But on the other side of your comment. There was a difference between Dobbs and QD apparent in how the latter played in this spring game. Dobbs appeared to always "think" about throws. He seemed to struggle with both pre-reads and reads. QD made both the pre-reads and the reads well and got the ball out on time with accuracy. That's how a guy who isn't a Dobbs type runner beats the pass rush and helps his OL.

They probably have. They threw some things at them in the spring game. QD made decisions that made plays look "easy". JG struggled more.

Im ready for a qb that trades some of that wiggle for an elite arm. People assume QD is going to get blasted because he's white but he outweighs JG by almost 30 lbs. Id be worried about JG getting blasted.

People seem to make a lot of bad assumptions on that basis.

It is unfair to JG also to expect him to be Dobbs' clone... even if that's desirable. He's not. He's not as big as Dobbs or as fast. He looks to have a much better arm.

Not against a super mobile QB, but I'm ready for the same. I think QD is mobile enough and his feel for the offense, decision making ability, will make him seem even more mobile...

As soon as Jones described, JG as a youngster with a lot of potential, I knew Dormady would start. JG may earn the spot but with a new OC they're going with the guy they trust the most. It's not about potential or talent it's about taking care of the ball and consistency on offense.

Neither QB is going to be able to take over the game on the ground the way Dobbs did, so we need to play whichever guy can make bigger plays with his arm. To this point that seems like QD.

Dormady is a pretty big kid. Someone is going to have to blast him pretty hard. He's twenty plus pounds heavier than JG and been in S&C longer.

VN Store

Back