Why UT is different now vs first years of Butch and the 5 years before ...

thegasman54

OL and DL are recruited at high levels ... OL is stronger now and for the future than it has been in over a decade. DL barring catastrophic injury , make no mistake the injuries to Tuttle and McKenzie are huge setbacks for the DL. We have numbers and projected very high quality people on both lines ... plus this is a completely different coaching staff than in years past.

Reactions: 13 people
Biggest difference, I hope, is the strength program. Last year's results were an embarrassment

Reactions: 5 people
Biggest difference, I hope, is the strength program. Last year's results were an embarrassment

Again totally different coaching... butch is doing all he can to make this program better. Recruiting and recruiting the best coaches has never been better. Results not here yet ... be patient look at Clemson.

Reactions: 7 people
Depth on the OL appears to be solid (better than previous years). We are starting to put players back in the league as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think just being overall competitive again. You go back a few years ago and your just hoping to keep it close. Now it's like we're in every game expecting to win.

Again totally different coaching... butch is doing all he can to make this program better. Recruiting and recruiting the best coaches has never been better. Results not here yet ... be patient look at Clemson.

Careful... you're not allowed to use Clemson as an example of patience. ha...

Reactions: 3 people
OL and DL are recruited at high levels ... OL is stronger now and for the future than it has been in over a decade. DL barring catastrophic injury , make no mistake the injuries to Tuttle and McKenzie are huge setbacks for the DL. We have numbers and projected very high quality people on both lines ... plus this is a completely different coaching staff than in years past.

This is an acknowledgement of how far we've come as a program since Butch took over. People keep talking about this being year 5 and comparing other coaches' year 5 results. But few if any other coaches inherited a situation as dire as what Butch has had to overcome.

When Fulmer left, we lost quite a few recruits and roster players who transferred. There was a lot of talk among us fans about how important it was going to be for the new coach to be someone who could limit the damage and make a smooth transition. Otherwise, we knew that recruiting and retention were going to have an adverse effect on the program.

In comes Kiffin and his first order of business was to plug the leaks in the ship. He definitely kept us from getting Tajh Boyd and the recruits he did get mostly ended-up being busts. Then he suddenly ups and quits and the already rebuilding roster endures another catastrophic fallout, before it even had time to recover from the post-Fulmer shock-wave.

Dooley REALLY inherited the worst of it. Unfortunately, he wasn't up to the task of rebuilding the program. The level of talent wasn't much better when he left than it was when he got here.

The rebuild Butch has done has been an excruciating process for us fans. But he did not start at the same place as most other coaches. People should remember that. That's not excuse-making. It's just the simple honest truth. To deny this is to deny reality.

I think we'll surpass expectations this season and be one of the top teams in the country in 2018. If that doesn't happen, then we can talk about looking for another head coach.

Reactions: 21 people

Will have to see to believe....hope you're right

Be patient, I agree. But Look to General Neyland (not Clemson -- stop looking at Clemson / stop letting them hear that you're looking to them).

Time for Butch Jones to make every one else look at Tennessee.

To Coach Jones: 7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes. !

Butch finally has something to work with. That's really all that needs to be said. Now all we have to do is get our priorities strait. Focus on Alabamalami and candy will take care of it's self. Focus on candy and lose to candy.

Butch finally has something to work with. That's really all that needs to be said. Now all we have to do is get our priorities strait. Focus on Alabamalami and candy will take care of it's self. Focus on candy and lose to candy.

I heard he had something to work with last year, and this year he has young, untested players.

I can't keep track.

Reactions: 1 person
I heard he had something to work with last year, and this year he has young, untested players.

I can't keep track.

The narrative always changes in their favor. It's excuse making 101.

The results on the field tell the real story.

I've been following UT closely for 25+ years. I have never seen this level of OL talent (on paper) on one UT roster. I could have and probably did say the same thing last year. So far... it hasn't produced.

I like the O staff but we can't be sure what we have until they actually hit the field.

I LOVE the D staff. It is an SEC quality staff that any program in the conference would be proud to have.

Reactions: 1 person
The offensive line depth is light years ahead of where Dooley left us.

You mean the OL where everyone got a chance to play in the NFL or the much maligned S&C program that somehow got guys conditioned well enough to survive the season?

Some laugh and scoff at the injury excuse last year, but that is exactly the reason we lost to Candy and SC. Just compare how the team played early in the year and the bowl games against stronger opponents vs. late in the season against weak teams. Shoop was playing DEs and linebacker sized players at DT. He was playing 3rd and 4th stringers at LB. They were not only overmatched at times, but also were out of position and didn't know what the he-- they were doing.

If we are to blame Butch we can cite the lack of S&C, not getting the reserves ready to play, not handling the squabbles between Shoop and Martinez, not managing Martinez failures and taking his foot off the gas when we had the lead late in games.

We are much better now than when he inherited the train wreck and he will get the time he needs to win a championship despite what the FAHR BUTCH crowd thinks.

Reactions: 5 people
This is an acknowledgement of how far we've come as a program since Butch took over. People keep talking about this being year 5 and comparing other coaches' year 5 results. But few if any other coaches inherited a situation as dire as what Butch has had to overcome.

When Fulmer left, we lost quite a few recruits and roster players who transferred. There was a lot of talk among us fans about how important it was going to be for the new coach to be someone who could limit the damage and make a smooth transition. Otherwise, we knew that recruiting and retention were going to have an adverse effect on the program.

In comes Kiffin and his first order of business was to plug the leaks in the ship. He definitely kept us from getting Tajh Boyd and the recruits he did get mostly ended-up being busts. Then he suddenly ups and quits and the already rebuilding roster endures another catastrophic fallout, before it even had time to recover from the post-Fulmer shock-wave.

Dooley REALLY inherited the worst of it. Unfortunately, he wasn't up to the task of rebuilding the program. The level of talent wasn't much better when he left than it was when he got here.

The rebuild Butch has done has been an excruciating process for us fans. But he did not start at the same place as most other coaches. People should remember that. That's not excuse-making. It's just the simple honest truth. To deny this is to deny reality.

I think we'll surpass expectations this season and be one of the top teams in the country in 2018. If that doesn't happen, then we can talk about looking for another head coach.
Dooley gets a lot of flak and a lot is deserved but the one thing he did not do was leave it in worse shape than he got it in.. Things could have went a lot worse.. I think the biggest things the really hit us was Kiffin's recruiting class one of the worst recruiting classes are far as busts go in history (of college not just UT). Dooley made 2 big mistakes the mysterious 2 ol recruiting class and switching to a 3-4 with a new DC and not a single legit nose tackle on the roster. And the orange pants so that's 3. He didn't recruit at a high level but outside of the O-line he recruited to fill holes and kept this ship afloat.

4 coaches in 6 year.s How many perennial top 25 teams have ever done that and recovered? we are at the end of the tunnel and we will see the light going forward. Butch has shown marked improvement every year.. early on we lost games because other teams were just that much better than us.. then we had problems with the long haul last year our downfall was 90% because of injuries. with a semi healthy team we go to a bowl game with 2 losses both to bama no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: 6 people
Dooley gets a lot of flak and a lot is deserved but the one thing he did not do was leave it in worse shape than he got it in.. Things could have went a lot worse.. I think the biggest things the really hit us was Kiffin's recruiting class one of the worst recruiting classes are far as busts go in history (of college not just UT). Dooley made 2 big mistakes the mysterious 2 ol recruiting class and switching to a 3-4 with a new DC and not a single legit nose tackle on the roster. And the orange pants so that's 3. He didn't recruit at a high level but outside of the O-line he recruited to fill holes and kept this ship afloat.

4 coaches in 6 year.s How many perennial top 25 teams have ever done that and recovered? we are at the end of the tunnel and we will see the light going forward. Butch has shown marked improvement every year.. early on we lost games because other teams were just that much better than us.. then we had problems with the long haul last year our downfall was 90% because of injuries. with a semi healthy team we go to a bowl game with 2 losses both to bama no doubt in my mind.

Common sense 101

I agree with you, but don't expect everyone to get it.

child-tantrums.jpg

I agree with you, but don't expect everyone to get it.

child-tantrums.jpg
I realize that only a small percentage of fans will get it and those are the ones my posts are directed at. I have never been a foaming at the mouth FANatic type of fan. I am more the realist. I support my team my team never changes. If i were to see a person in an opposing teams gear unless its gameday with that opponent there is no real reaction. Game day you ain't walking in my house in that mess though. I have always been a UT fan always been a Lakers fan always been a Niners fan and follow any pro team with Vols on the roster.

VN Store

Back