Underrated Freshmen from the 2017 recruiting class

Dobbs 4 Heisman

So there's already been a lot of talk about Trey Smith, Ty Chandler, Deandre Johnson, and Matthew Butler when it comes to true freshmen that could contribute early. You all know I'm high on all four of those guys. Well here are a couple of less heralded freshmen that I'm also high on. These kids aren't getting a lot of buzz right now but after fall camp we should be hearing plenty about them:

• RB Tim Jordan - I don't know how Butch Jones does it but he always seems to find diamonds in the rough when it comes to recruiting and I have a feeling Tim Jordan is going to be another one of them. How he was only rated a 2-star by Rivals and Scout will never make any sense to me. Jordan reminds me a lot of John Kelly. Very underrated recruit that will contribute as a backup RB this year and be a starter for us down the road. He's a really special prospect IMO.
  • WR Josh Palmer - Another diamond in the rough we got late in recruiting last year. The kid has what you look for in a WR. He's got size, speed, and hands. Don't be surprised if he's pushing Marquez Callaway and Brandon Johnson for playing time this year as the other starting outside receiver opposite Jauan Jennings. He should be a really good player for us.
  • LB Will Ignont - Surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this kid. He was one of our more highly rated recruits this past cycle. With all the depth we have at LB right now, its unlikely he plays early on defense. But I think he'll be a menace right off the bat on special teams. Down the road he'll be a heck of a starting LB.
  • DE Ryan Thaxton - This is a kid whose long term potential I'm really high on. He looks the part in terms of size and length when it comes to a big-time pass rushing defensive end prospect. However, he's a little light right now. I think a redshirt year and 20-25 lbs of muscle to his frame would do him wonders. Look for him to be a big factor on our defensive line next year if a guy like Jonathan Kongbo leaves early for the draft next year. I have a feeling Ryan Thaxton will make the recruiting services look really stupid in a few years for not having him more highly rated. He's a future NFL player IMO.
  • CB Cheyenne Labruzza - This has been my guy in this class from the very start. It always boggled my mind why he was not more highly rated by the recruiting services. Physically he reminds me a lot of recently departed Florida CB Quincy Wilson. Both are long athletic press corners that are the type that are en vogue right now in the NFL. I don't know how much playing time Cheyenne gets this year at CB because I believe Justin Martin and Emmanuel Moseley are set up for big years. But by next year he should be a starter for us alongside Baylen Buchanan. This kid's focus and work ethic reminds me a lot of Cam Sutton. He's got future star written all over him.

The 2017 recruiting class may not have been highly rated but man did we get a lot of players. In addition to the guys I highlighted above, I also like Riley Locklear and K'Rojhn Calbert's potential on the offensive line as future starters for us. I think Jordan Murphy can be a dynamo in the slot. Obviously Maleik Gray is a freak athlete who will make plays for us in the secondary.

I have a feeling that 4 years from now we'll look back at this class as being a lot better than the recruiting sites gave it credit for.

Reactions: 17 people
So there's already been a lot of talk about Trey Smith, Ty Chandler, Deandre Johnson, and Matthew Butler when it comes to true freshmen that could contribute early. You all know I'm high on all four of those guys. Well here are a couple of less heralded freshmen that I'm also high on. These kids aren't getting a lot of buzz right now but after fall camp we should be hearing plenty about them:

• RB Tim Jordan - I don't know how Butch Jones does it but he always seems to find diamonds in the rough when it comes to recruiting and I have a feeling Tim Jordan is going to be another one of them. How he was only rated a 2-star by Rivals and Scout will never make any sense to me. Jordan reminds me a lot of John Kelly. Very underrated recruit that will contribute as a backup RB this year and be a starter for us down the road. He's a really special prospect IMO.
  • WR Josh Palmer - Another diamond in the rough we got late in recruiting last year. The kid has what you look for in a WR. He's got size, speed, and hands. Don't be surprised if he's pushing Marquez Callaway and Brandon Johnson for playing time this year as the other starting outside receiver opposite Jauan Jennings. He should be a really good player for us.
  • LB Will Ignont - Surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this kid. He was one of our more highly rated recruits this past cycle. With all the depth we have at LB right now, its unlikely he plays early on defense. But I think he'll be a menace right off the bat on special teams. Down the road he'll be a heck of a starting LB.
  • DE Ryan Thaxton - This is a kid whose long term potential I'm really high on. He looks the part in terms of size and length when it comes to a big-time pass rushing defensive end prospect. However, he's a little light right now. I think a redshirt year and 20-25 lbs of muscle to his frame would do him wonders. Look for him to be a big factor on our defensive line next year if a guy like Jonathan Kongbo leaves early for the draft next year. I have a feeling Ryan Thaxton will make the recruiting services look really stupid in a few years for not having him more highly rated. He's a future NFL player IMO.
  • CB Cheyenne Labruzza - This has been my guy in this class from the very start. It always boggled my mind why he was not more highly rated by the recruiting services. Physically he reminds me a lot of recently departed Florida CB Quincy Wilson. Both are long athletic press corners that are the type that are en vogue right now in the NFL. I don't know how much playing time Cheyenne gets this year at CB because I believe Justin Martin and Emmanuel Moseley are set up for big years. But by next year he should be a starter for us alongside Baylen Buchanan. This kid's focus and work ethic reminds me a lot of Cam Sutton. He's got future star written all over him.

The 2017 recruiting class may not have been highly rated but man did we get a lot of players. In addition to the guys I highlighted above, I also like Riley Locklear and K'Rojhn Calbert's potential on the offensive line as future starters for us. I think Jordan Murphy can be a dynamo in the slot. Obviously Maleik Gray is a freak athlete who will make plays for us in the secondary.

I have a feeling that 4 years from now we'll look back at this class as being a lot better than the recruiting sites gave it credit for.

Great breakdowns and I agree on Jordan, his film looks great against great competition, excited to see how our RBs progress...with all we lost, still could be a huge strength for us between an experienced OL and bigger play action threat.

Reactions: 1 person
we have talent, no doubt, and much unseen that will emerge...we have the caliber of coaches in place to make all the difference...can we stay injury free...that is the only question for me...:crossfingers:

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read on a blog somewhere that Canales was telling reporters that McBride was better than Manziel, so I'm a little shocked not to see him listed.

Other than that, great list!

Reactions: 3 people
we have talent, no doubt, and much unseen that will emerge...we have the caliber of coaches in place to make all the difference...can we stay injury free...that is the only question for me...:crossfingers:

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have very good talent overall, even great talent in certain positions. Do we have the elite talent that's needed to compete for SEC and national championships? Do we have Bama, Florida State, Ohio State, and Clemson talent? No, sadly we don't. We have 9-3 talent.

Is there really a lot of depth at LB?

Yup. Darrin Kirkland Jr., Daniel Bituli, Austin Smith, Quart'e Sapp, Cortez McDowell, Colton Jumper, and Dillon Bates are all expected to play this season. All have playing experience, most have starting experience. LB is one of the positions I feel best about. After all the injuries we suffered last year, we've built up some nice depth at that position.

Will Ignont will be a menace on special teams this year and I could see him pushing for a starting spot next season.

Hmmm...no comparisons to HoF players or predictions of ending up in the HoF.

You feeling okay this morning, D4H?

You might be surprised to hear this, but we don't have those caliber of players anymore. Dobbs, Sutton, and Kamara were once in a generation type of players.

Its highly unlikely we ever have that sort of concentrated future NFL Hall of Fame talent playing together ever again. We still have a lot of future NFL talent on the roster. I just don't see any more Perennial All-Pros. We do have a couple of guys with pro-bowl potential still on the roster. But I don't see a Dobbs, Sutton, or Kamara. Guys who will be the best players at their position in the NFL for a number of years.

We have very good talent overall, even great talent in certain positions. Do we have the elite talent that's needed to compete for SEC and national championships? Do we have Bama, Florida State, Ohio State, and Clemson talent? No, sadly we don't. We have 9-3 talent.

Based on a 4-year average of recruiting rankings, our roster is currently as talented as Clemson was last year. And we currently have the 8th most talented roster in the country. So yes, we are not on the level of Alabama, Florida State, and Ohio State when it comes to recruiting (they are after all the top 3 programs when it comes to recruiting). But then again neither was Clemson last year.

And if we're being honest, there isn't a huge difference between being the #8 most talented team in the country based on recruiting rankings and the #4 most talented team. Right now, we have no excuse when it comes to talent. Butch Jones has had 4 full recruiting classes. 2 of them were top 5, the other 2 were top 15. Lack of talent is NOT a legitimate excuse anymore. If we don't win the East this year, it'll be because our coaching staff is not good enough. It won't be because of talent anymore.

Reactions: 9 people

May not have to use him this year, but watch a man named Bumpus at DE or maybe at TE. Big good and also fast...

Reactions: 2 people
You might be surprised to hear this, but we don't have those caliber of players anymore. Dobbs, Sutton, and Kamara were once in a generation type of players.

Its highly unlikely we ever have that sort of concentrated future NFL Hall of Fame talent playing together ever again. We still have a lot of future NFL talent on the roster. I just don't see any more Perennial All-Pros. We do have a couple of guys with pro-bowl potential still on the roster. But I don't see a Dobbs, Sutton, or Kamara. Guys who will be the best players at their position in the NFL for a number of years.

Once again, I think you're way off. Dobbs and Kamara will never be the BEST at their position in the NFL. They wont sniff the HoF. Sutton, MAYBE. Its just a matter of someone having a good year this year before you crown them the next NFL HoF.

Reactions: 5 people

However, it looks as if we are improving our talent depth and with the 18 class looking very good , we will begin to field teams which will compete with those guys. The OLine and DLine appear to be stocking up with talent. We will be in great shape at QB RB, and WR on offense and the Back talent is much better than any of the last 8-10 years. I agree with Doug, we will be a much better team the next 2-3 year and it will show on the score board.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yup. Darrin Kirkland Jr., Daniel Bituli, Austin Smith, Quart'e Sapp, Cortez McDowell, Colton Jumper, and Dillon Bates are all expected to play this season. All have playing experience, most have starting experience. LB is one of the positions I feel best about. After all the injuries we suffered last year, we've built up some nice depth at that position.

Will Ignont will be a menace on special teams this year and I could see him pushing for a starting spot next season.
I'm looking forward to seeing Ignont on the field.

Once again, I think you're way off. Dobbs and Kamara will never be the BEST at their position in the NFL. They wont sniff the HoF. Sutton, MAYBE. Its just a matter of someone having a good year this year before you crown them the next NFL HoF.

Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara went to perfect situations in the NFL that will highlight their Hall of Fame talent in ways they were not highlighted here at Tennessee.

I've said from the moment I joined this site that Josh Dobbs was SPECIAL and I'm not backing down from it. Physically he's the second coming of Randall Cunningham. If you don't know, back in the late 80s, Randall Cunningham was being talked about by the media as potentially becoming the "Michael Jordan of the NFL". Obviously he didn't live up to that hype but it wasn't because of a lack of talent. He fell short of the hype because of poor intangibles on his part and not enough talent around him on that Eagles offense. We all saw in 1998 what a mature Randall Cunningham with great talent around him on offense could do in the NFL. I think Dobbs is Randall Cunningham with elite intangibles. Add that sort of player to a team with as much offensive firepower as the Pittsburgh Steelers and you have the recipe for something special. I think Josh Dobbs lives up to the hype Randall Cunningham was getting in the late 80s and develops into the "Michael Jordan of the NFL".

Alvin Kamara is Marshall Faulk 2.0. Going to New Orleans with Sean Payton was the perfect fit. In this new era of passing, Alvin Kamara is the prototype RB. He's an excellent receiver out of the backfield who can also run it between the tackles. I expect him to have several seasons where he rushes for 1,000+ yards and has 1,000+ yards receiving in the same season. That should be good enough to earn him the title of best RB in the NFL for at least a couple of years.

Reactions: 4 people
Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara went to perfect situations in the NFL that will highlight their Hall of Fame talent in ways they were not highlighted here at Tennessee.

I've said from the moment I joined this site that Josh Dobbs was SPECIAL and I'm not backing down from it. Physically he's the second coming of Randall Cunningham. If you don't know, back in the late 80s, Randall Cunningham was being talked about by the media as potentially becoming the "Michael Jordan of the NFL". Obviously he didn't live up to that hype but it wasn't because of a lack of talent. He fell short of the hype because of poor intangibles on his part and not enough talent around him on that Eagles offense. We all saw in 1998 what a mature Randall Cunningham with great talent around him on offense could do in the NFL. I think Dobbs is Randall Cunningham with elite intangibles. Add that sort of player to a team with as much offensive firepower as the Pittsburgh Steelers and you have the recipe for something special. I think Josh Dobbs lives up to the hype Randall Cunningham was getting in the late 80s and develops into the "Michael Jordan of the NFL".

Alvin Kamara is Marshall Faulk 2.0. Going to New Orleans with Sean Payton was the perfect fit. In this new era of passing, Alvin Kamara is the prototype RB. He's an excellent receiver out of the backfield who can also run it between the tackles. I expect him to have several seasons where he rushes for 1,000+ yards and has 1,000+ yards receiving in the same season. That should be good enough to earn him the title of best RB in the NFL for at least a couple of years.

:lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: 9 people
It's a sad day when absurd idealization of stellar former Vols almost makes one have to insult the said beloved Vols to bring a certain poster back down to earth.

How can one possibly determine an athlete's value relative to their rating without a sample size of actual in-game playing time?

Reactions: 2 people
How can one possibly determine an athlete's value relative to their rating without a sample size of actual in-game playing time?

YouTube and NFL Network Top 10 lists. :)

I've heard tons of hype about Cheyenne Labruzza. Supposedly he's competing for playing time at corner

VN Store

Back