Mike Canales comments on Vols possibly using two-quarterback system

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...s-vols-possibly-using-two-quarterback-system/
“I know plenty of programs have done it,” Canales said. “I know one in the SEC used it a long time ago back at Florida when Coach Spurrier did that.
“The big thing is we’re just going to try and get all three quarterbacks ready to play in that room. I think it’s important that they’re all ready to play. They’re a snap away from being the next guy. And when Coach Jones is ready and the timing is right, we’ll make that decision.”

I could see a two QB system working. It did for Florida with Leak and Tebow, but as others say if you have two Qbs you have no Qbs What's yalls opinion?

Last edited:
Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, if both QBs are that capable of starting, throw in a mixture of different plays that fits both Dormady & JG's play styles to keep the opposing defense on their heels.

It doesn't hurt to take chances, especially in the SEC. This is all or nothing this season for Butch so why not go with a Two-QB System if you think it might work?

Let's just win.

Reactions: 3 people
2 QBs is NOT a good way to navigate an SEC Season with a new OC...IMHO.

Reactions: 6 people
I've said it every time one of these threads has provoked the question, I do not want a 2 QB system at Tennessee. I know there is rare success with it, but I think it throws the entire team off and reduces the chances of them developing a rhythm together. The WRs would have different timing issues, RBs would have to adjust to hand-offs, OL might have to adjust blocking schemes, and each QB would have to stay hot coming in and out of the game. That's a lot of different moving parts that would all have to be in sync to work. Also, if we are too predictable with it then opposing teams will know what to expect when a certain QB is in the game and would game plan around it.

I'm not saying it would not work, I would just rather have us select the one guy who has earned the right to play QB at Tennessee this season. If it is too close to call at the beginning of the season, give both the chance in a game, but select the guy who gives us the best chance of winning.

Reactions: 8 people
I'm indifferent, as long as it works.
If QD is the starter, I could see a couple of defenses we play where JG supposed better scrambling ability could be put to use.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't know if this has been stated as i haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but my two cents worth is this: If the BIG ORANGE Has two qb's then the coaches run the chance of dividing the locker room. By this I mean if 30% of the locker room wants one guy and 70% wants the other then when their guy ain't on the field the players don't feel they have as good of a chance to score or win. Trust me, it has an effect on their play.

Reactions: 3 people
The difference with Florida and Leak/Tebow is they had VERY different skill sets with specific packages for each one of them. Dormady and Guarantano's skill sets aren't all that different. Not as much as some try to make them out to be.

Reactions: 7 people
I hate the two QB system.

I want one guy to win the job and if he isn't preforming then give to the next guy.

I couldn't imagine being a QB/WR and trying to get a good chemistry down. Hell even the RB have to think about the hand off and if any of them differ. I just don't like it.

I hope they change my mind about it, if it comes down to it.

Possibly playing with fire.

playing with fire was last year hill man. 2017 is the change we have all be waiting for. I'm not saying superbowl, but this year looks GOOD. We have it all working for us at the moment, And a 2 QB system can absolutely work with QD taking the bulk of the snaps, if they shut him down we throw JG in there NOT AS A RUNNER, but to throw off the defense and make them think. It also energizes the offense. The point being WE HAVE OPTIONS.

Reactions: 2 people
Also wonder what Adrian and Mike would think if we stuck with two QBs all season long.

That most likely means we'll do it again next year.

Would they take it as after Dormady SR year Jarrett will be our guy and the only way they see the field is if they share snaps with him using the two QB system?

Or they can take it as well no one is good enough to be named a clear starter?

I don't know... just a thought. Whatever helps us win right? That's ultimately all that matters.

2 QBs is NOT a good way to navigate an SEC Season with a new OC...IMHO.

I generally agree with that. But there are bad OCs, inexperienced OCs who need time in the oven to bake well, and there are OCs who spent their years as a position coach being a strategy junkie, and understand what plays work for the players on the field.

How a 2 QB system might work for this team has plenty to do with Dormady and Guarantano. And about ten times more to do with Larry Scott. If he proves to be that kind of play caller, this could work very well. If he needs more "baking", they will be better off choosing one QB or the other and keeping things simple.

Dormady has NFL size and arm, plus is very cerebral and a good leader. he will be given every chance, knowing a higher rated prospect is nipping at his heals.

You can see how Dormady handled it in the Spring. He made every snap count.
This kid is legit. Dobbs free lancing ability was like none other. Now, Butch will have a qb who can call and execute every play in his offense.

This system, with the right adjustments, could provide Dormady an opportunity for a one and done type year. Dobbs leaned on his legs, and rightfully so. Still, I don't think we've seen a QB who can intellectualize and manifest the game plan. I'm hoping QD is that guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...s-vols-possibly-using-two-quarterback-system/
“I know plenty of programs have done it,” Canales said. “I know one in the SEC used it a long time ago back at Florida when Coach Spurrier did that.
“The big thing is we’re just going to try and get all three quarterbacks ready to play in that room. I think it’s important that they’re all ready to play. They’re a snap away from being the next guy. And when Coach Jones is ready and the timing is right, we’ll make that decision.”

I could see a two QB system working. It did for Florida with Leak and Tebow, but as others say if you have two Qbs you have no Qbs What's yalls opinion?

I don't have a problem with it initially. I would hope at some point one begins to separate himself and becomes the clear #1 guy.

Reactions: 1 person
Dormady has NFL size and arm, plus is very cerebral and a good leader. he will be given every chance, knowing a higher rated prospect is nipping at his heals.

You can see how Dormady handled it in the Spring. He made every snap count.
This kid is legit. Dobbs free lancing ability was like none other. Now, Butch will have a qb who can call and execute every play in his offense.

This system, with the right adjustments, could provide Dormady an opportunity for a one and done type year. Dobbs leaned on his legs, and rightfully so. Still, I don't think we've seen a QB who can intellectualize and manifest the game plan. I'm hoping QD is that guy.

I'm not saying none of that is true, but how do you know he is a good leader?

If ya have 2 QBs, you have no QB

Coach Bryant is dead. I really believe that philosophy was more true 30 years than it is today. I do hope one separates himself but if not let's run a 2 QB system and take advantage of the positives...guess we'll have no other choice..,JMO

I'm indifferent, as long as it works.
If QD is the starter, I could see a couple of defenses we play where JG supposed better scrambling ability could be put to use.

This.

Use 3. Rotate em every snap, or every series, or every game. Just win baby.

Something about QD that I have wondered about, but never actually (unless I missed it) saw a reason is -- why the knee brace ?

I doubt he's talking about Leak & Tebow because Tebow played on 4th down and goal line ram-rodding packages. Most likely, he's referring to Jesse Palmer & Doug Johnson.

If there isn't a clear starter, I don't see a problem starting both qb's for the first two games. Probably shouldn't rush the decision of a starter if QD and JG have a hairs length between their separation of being the starter of Tennessee.

VN Store

Back