Coach Doug Mathews has us 8-4.

Vfl2407

On this mornings show, he was very positive especially about 2018. Loves our commitment list.
Says we are a little too young at certain positions to win the East in 2017 without some big breaks.
Says 15 or more freshman will be big contributors this year.
Interesting that he did not mention CFA at all when talking RB saying we will have 2 freshmen behind Kelly.
Really likes our o-line this year and says d- line should be ok depending on no injury bug.
Was hoping for a Tuttle update. Don't think he gave one.
Likes adding Wiggins to secondary.
Likes our kicking game.
I didn't hear whole show, so don't know what he said about QB.
Says Hoke and Warren have really helped Shoop prepare much better both on and off the field.
Says Butch is in no way on the hot seat with a new AD giving him any benefit of the doubt this season especially if the 2018 recruiting class continues to look strong.

Reactions: 19 people
Keep talking. Everyone else has freshman too. We have more experience then others in more valuable areas this year.

#Notthisyear.

Reactions: 7 people
Would be a failure of a season if this is the case. Losing to every one of our rivals is a huge step backwards

Even though every expert in the land is predicting this number of wins, I see no way that it's not going to be called a failure.

I personally would take one upset loss in trade for beating one of our big rivals. But if we take an upset loss, that's "proof we can't get it done". If we lose to the best teams, they're our rivals and that's "proof we can't get it done."

Basically for many, the only way we can even achieve this year is to overachieve.

Reactions: 17 people
Even though every expert in the land is predicting this number of wins, I see no way that it's not going to be called a failure.

I personally would take one upset loss in trade for beating one of our big rivals. But if we take an upset loss, that's "proof we can't get it done". If we lose to the best teams, they're our rivals and that's "proof we can't get it done."

Basically for many, the only way we can even achieve this year is to overachieve.

I agree, but will add that according to a few, underachieving enough to get Butch fired would actually be an achievement.:good!:

Reactions: 7 people
Would be a failure of a season if this is the case. Losing to every one of our rivals is a huge step backwards

I think we'll win at least one of those games, maybe two and drop one, maybe two to SCar, Ky and Vandy.

I guess I'm also thinking 8-4 with the losses to Fla, UGA, Bama, LSU.

i just don't get how Doug or anyone else is ok with this. that outcome would be an absolute failure. Butch should be fired if this happens, those are the only games that matter. the other games should be perennial locks as wins and split those four every year at least and once every 3-4 win 3 out of the 4

Reactions: 8 people
Never thought I'd say this, but he had John Adams on the first segment and I actually enjoyed it. He wrote an article about SEC running backs. A few takeaways...

1. Herschel is the all-time leading rusher in conference history, of course, despite only playing 3 years.

2. Tennessee's all-time leading rusher Travis Henry is only 34th in conference history. They discussed how Tennessee has always had 2, sometimes even 3 stud running backs at the same time who split carries so that no particular back could pile up carries and yards.

3. Ralph Webb at Vandy has a good shot at becoming the 5th all-time leading rusher in SEC history.

4. Adams thinks Chuck Webb was the best Tennessee running back all-time....said had he not gone down to injury in 1990 that he believes he would've won Tennessee's first/only Heisman trophy. Mathews said "Cobb could do more things than Webb". I agree with Adams here.

Reactions: 2 people
Mathews also said that he doesn't think Jones' job is in jeopardy in any way this year, no matter what this year's record winds up being, barring "catastrophe" (which he defined as 0-12).

Mathews also said that he doesn't think Jones' job is in jeopardy in any way this year, no matter what this year's record winds up being, barring "catastrophe" (which he defined as 0-12).

that's just sad that if in year FIVE a 7-5 record would be safe. and 8-4 with losses to all rivals is just as bad.

Reactions: 3 people
Too young in year 5? No excuse nope, not buying that . :no:

I might have misstated this somewhat.
It wasn't really overall youth he talked about.
Just too much youth in certain positions like QB and RB to win big this year.
But, he thinks the program is on very firm ground and thinks we are primed for a very big season in 2018 and beyond. He is solidly behind Butch.

Reactions: 3 people

At this point, not winning the division would equal failure.

If Florida does it again, Mac would be at Florida 3 years and won the division 3 times.

If Georgia wins the division, Kirby would have turned it around at Georgia in year 2 and accomplished what Butch has not been able to do in 5.

If anyone other than Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee wins the divison, people would be howling that Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy or Mizzou won the division before Butch did.

For the season not to be a failure (in terms of the long term good of the program), Tennessee HAS to win the division.

Reactions: 18 people
Vfl2407 (the OP) heard about 10 different things from Doug this morning, and shared them.

Only two of the 10 were about the coaches. And yet, here we are again, micro-analyzing portents for the future of Butch's tenure.

Beginning to strike me that some folks here don't even like to talk football...just job-gossip.

Reactions: 15 people
At this point, not winning the division would equal failure.

If Florida does it again, Mac would be at Florida 3 years and won the division 3 times.

If Georgia wins the division, Kirby would have turned it around at Georgia in year 2 and accomplished what Butch has not been able to do in 5.

If anyone other than Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee wins the divison, people would be howling that Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy or Mizzou won the division before Butch did.

For the season not to be a failure (in terms of the long term good of the program), Tennessee HAS to win the division.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with a Gator but you're 100% right. This season is a complete failure if we don't win the East. All these people saying 8-4 is fine are simply accepting mediocrity.

Tennessee is not a program that should be content with mediocrity. According to the 4-year recruiting average, Tennessee is the 8th most talented team in the country this year. Our recruiting rank is the same as Clemson last year when they won the national title.

Tennessee should be better than 8-4 this year. Our talent demands it. And anyone who doesn't agree with that is just content with mediocrity.

VN Store

Back