Tennessee preseason camp primer: O-line

kamoshika

THE SKINNY: While everyone should at least sober up to remember that this group needed a new position coach after last season, the bottom line is Walt Wells — who had been a quality control coach at Tennessee — has inherited an outstanding situation. Tennessee is absolutely loaded at the offensive line position.

Experience? Check.

Depth? Check.

Solid veterans? Check.

Youngsters with high ceilings? Check.

When you head into preseason camp with a double-digit number of players who should at least compete for playing time as SEC-caliber players, you’re in a good spot.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-2017-Preseason-Camp-Primer-Offensive-lin-105329811

Reactions: 10 people
This ain't 2014 Oklahoma here. I think fans have been so used to OL mediocrity (or worse) in 14 & 15 (then watched the injury jumble in 16'), that they assume 17' will be another weak OL. Not true.

Here's the players that I see being serious SEC level players this year. Listed as my season starters, then true backups. Staffs are always looking for "best 5", therefore rigid "backups" are more shuffled if a starter goes out.

RT - Hall, Tatum
RG - Jones, Boulware, Kendrick
C - Thomas, Robertson, Boulware
LG - Robertson, Boulware, Smith
LT - Richmond, Smith

That's 9 that IMHO can play SEC Championship winning level football in 17'. Smith may seriously come on to take a starting tackle or guard spot as the season progresses. Richmond "got it" later in the season last year and I believe his strength and ability will not be easy to unseat as a starter. Boulware is coming on and will play very well in 17. He may take Jones or another starting spot. If Hall is injury free, then that guys a beast at RT. Tatum needed a RS last year, but had to play. So, his increased size, strength, and experience make him a viable option outside. Kendrick has the experience now, and is a serviceable SEC player.

Hopefully the rest play only roles throughout the season and are not needed to beat Bama, UGA, or LSU etc. I'm not at practice, so keep that in perspective.

Reactions: 4 people
None of knows what the truth is. The names you listed look awfully familiar from last season's preseason discussion and 2016 didn't work out so well for our OL.

Let's just let it all play out and discuss it when we have some actual evidence and proof of what this year's OL looks like. Right now we have no idea what that evidence is gonna be.

Reactions: 1 person
None of knows what the truth is. The names you listed look awfully familiar from last season's preseason discussion and 2016 didn't work out so well for our OL.

Let's just let it all play out and discuss it when we have some actual evidence and proof of what this year's OL looks like. Right now we have no idea what that evidence is gonna be.

Amen.

Too many arrows pointing in different directions. Gonna have to see which win out by watching the first few games.

New OL coach? Check.

New S&C coach? Check.

Depth? Check.

Experience? Check.

Talent? Check.

What does this all mean? It means that there are absolutely zero excuses for this OL unit not performing at an elite level.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm going to be honest. I have yet seen a Jones offensive line that is as good as billed or out perform their prediction. I feel this is one of the biggest questions we have on the team. It's almost like the line's ability has not met up with their coaching. I still feel this is a wait an see area on the team. We should have been better last year with our personnel. Dobbs and our specialty players made our o line look better than it actually was last year.

I just hope this year they get a starting five picked out within the first 2 weeks or so of camp and let them build chemistry from there. Also I hope we don't see them cross training as many guys as last year. Seemed like about half of our starters were practicing at 2/3 positions last year.

I just want to see them pick 5 guys, keep them (and their backups) put, and go from there.

Reactions: 3 people

For once we agree. I bought the narrative the o-line would get better because of experience in 2016. Then we saw the mess they were last year.

I'll hold out hope they'll be good But I'm not banking on it. If we're gonna be elite this year, I'm banking more on us having a dominant defense than a dominant offense.

New OL coach? Check.

New S&C coach? Check.

Depth? Check.

Experience? Check.

Talent? Check.

What does this all mean? It means that there are absolutely zero excuses for this OL unit not performing at an elite level.

What talent?

Other than Trey Smith and Marcus Tatum (two guys who haven't really played), I can't think of anyone else in that group who are talented.

Every offensive lineman we've seen play significantly is mediocre at best in terms of talent. And some like Drew Richmond looked like total liabilities last year.

Reactions: 1 person
What talent?

Other than Trey Smith and Marcus Tatum (two guys who haven't really played), I can't think of anyone else in that group who are talented.

Every offensive lineman we've seen play significantly is mediocre at best in terms of talent. And some like Drew Richmond looked like total liabilities last year.
Jack Jones and chance hall both have played at a high level. Robertson had as well, Kendrick has been good... And Richmond for all his stars, was young and tackles need some development. Smith by all accounts is ready...

And given your self admitted inability to "evaluate" offensive lineman... That you were wrong last year is no surprise... And equally, will not be a surprise to be wrong again this year.

Reactions: 8 people
This ain't 2014 Oklahoma here. I think fans have been so used to OL mediocrity (or worse) in 14 & 15 (then watched the injury jumble in 16'), that they assume 17' will be another weak OL. Not true.

Here's the players that I see being serious SEC level players this year. Listed as my season starters, then true backups. Staffs are always looking for "best 5", therefore rigid "backups" are more shuffled if a starter goes out.

RT - Hall, Tatum
RG - Jones, Boulware, Kendrick
C - Thomas, Robertson, Boulware
LG - Robertson, Boulware, Smith
LT - Richmond, Smith

That's 9 that IMHO can play SEC Championship winning level football in 17'. Smith may seriously come on to take a starting tackle or guard spot as the season progresses. Richmond "got it" later in the season last year and I believe his strength and ability will not be easy to unseat as a starter. Boulware is coming on and will play very well in 17. He may take Jones or another starting spot. If Hall is injury free, then that guys a beast at RT. Tatum needed a RS last year, but had to play. So, his increased size, strength, and experience make him a viable option outside. Kendrick has the experience now, and is a serviceable SEC player.

Hopefully the rest play only roles throughout the season and are not needed to beat Bama, UGA, or LSU etc. I'm not at practice, so keep that in perspective.

Robertson will start at C. Smith will start at LG. Boulware and Jones will battle it out for the RG spot.

Richmond at LT has me uneasy, but RT is loaded with Tatum and Hall.

Best OL we've had in awhile.

Jack Jones and chance hall both have played at a high level. Robertson had as well, Kendrick has been good... And Richmond for all his stars, was young and tackles need some development. Smith by all accounts is ready...

And given your self admitted inability to "evaluate" offensive lineman... That you were wrong last year is no surprise... And equally, will not be a surprise to be wrong again this year.

I guess you and I have simply different definitions of "good". Because I wouldn't rate a single offensive lineman who played for us last year as "good". Maybe you forgot the pathetic display they put on tape against App State and Va-Tech. But that was shockingly bad. And it really didn't get much better the rest of the year. Tennessee just adjusted its scheme by using the RBs to chip a lot more and having Dobbs run the ball more.

Our offensively line was PUTRID last season. I hope like everyone else they improve. But I'll keep my expectations to them just becoming MEDIOCRE this year. You don't go from PUTRID to ELITE in one off-season with only one major addition (Trey Smith) to the rotation. We'll probably not be ELITE along the offensive line until 2018 when Trey Smith is a sophomore, Marcus Tatum is junior, and Cade Mays is on campus. Then we'll hopefully have 3 elite talents along the offensive line.

Right now the only elite talent who might start next season is Trey Smith and that isn't good enough to take an offensive line from PUTRID to ELITE.

I guess you and I have simply different definitions of "good". Because I wouldn't rate a single offensive lineman who played for us last year as "good". Maybe you forgot the pathetic display they put on tape against App State and Va-Tech. But that was shockingly bad. And it really didn't get much better the rest of the year. Tennessee just adjusted its scheme by using the RBs to chip a lot more and having Dobbs run the ball more.

Our offensively line was PUTRID last season. I hope like everyone else they improve. But I'll keep my expectations to them just becoming MEDIOCRE this year. You don't go from PUTRID to ELITE in one off-season with only one major addition (Trey Smith) to the rotation. We'll probably not be ELITE along the offensive line until 2018 when Trey Smith is a sophomore, Marcus Tatum is junior, and Cade Mays is on campus. Then we'll hopefully have 3 elite talents along the offensive line.

Right now the only elite talent who might start next season is Trey Smith and that isn't good enough to take an offensive line from PUTRID to ELITE.

Didn't say elite. Also didn't say it was good all year. It wasn't.

You also are not making any allowances for new s&c, new position coach, new oc, nor an offense that's no longer totally dependent on the legs of its qb.

Have a more traditional running game... Have the ability to know where your qb is, is going to be, and what is going to happen in a given play as it develops... And who knows...

Remember you were wrong last year... Why should I take your admitted uneducated opinion and run with it this year?

Its all if s right now...

Reactions: 5 people
All I've said is there is potential here... And this ol has the making of what could be a competitive sec offensive line.

Not really going out on a limb here.

I get what your saycause I'm pessimistic about our online being dominant, but players with lesser talent develop into success at every level. So I still think they have a chance.

Also no one has Kendrick starting. I strongly believe that he'll have a place game one.

I'm holding out hope that the OL struggles in 2016 were mostly the result of guys not having enough time to stick to one position and build chemistry together as a unit plus the shoddy S&C program.

If that's the case, then I think we have a good chance of seeing the best OL play since 2013 for us. If not and it's a relent problem, we should at least have the pieces in place for the OL to be average to above average.

Robertson will start at C. Smith will start at LG. Boulware and Jones will battle it out for the RG spot.

Richmond at LT has me uneasy, but RT is loaded with Tatum and Hall.

Best OL we've had in awhile.

RT will be loaded because Kendrick will start there folks. There is so much people on these boards don't know about these kids.

Reactions: 2 people
RT will be loaded because Kendrick will start there folks. There is so much people on these boards don't know about these kids.

I'm one of those folks that don't know these kids - as you do, please share who the starting 5 will be along with the top 2-3 back ups.

But there's even more that people PRETEND to know! Kendrick is depth.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back