No Respect for QD!

DiderotsGhost

Barton Simmons from 247Sports released his rankings for SEC Quarterbacks a couple of days ago. Here's a snippet:

13. Quinten Dormady, Tennessee – Dormady is largely an unknown but he's also somebody that I ranked as a four-star coming out of high school. He's plenty talented and reviews from spring practice have been positive. He could rise as high as ninth on this list by the end of his junior season. Anything above that would be a surprise — and great news for Tennessee.

I realize as Tennessee fans, we may have a tendency to view the world through orange-colored glasses, but is Simmons significantly underrating Dormady? From what I've seen out of him, QD looks pretty good throwing the ball. I don't expect him to immediately be as good as Josh Dobbs, but I also don't think he's the 2nd worst QB in the SEC. Not only do we have QD, but Jarrett Guarantano was more highly recruited than Jalen Hurts, who they have ranked as #1.

Personally, I'd take QD over Malik Zaire (who they have at #9) in a heartbeat. No real debate. Can QD really be that low or is this ranking insane? Is this just the "we automatically value mediocre QBs with experience over good QBs without it" logic?

I hope our team comes out this year with a chip on their shoulder. Last season, the media got carried away with 11-1 and 10-2 type predictions. This year, they've gone to the other extreme, saying we have the 2nd worst QB in the SEC, and that we'll finish 4th or 5th in the division (behind Kentucky who we've clobbered for several years in a row!) Maybe I'm wearing orange-colored glasses, I think our team is much better than the media is giving us credit for.

Reactions: 21 people
Not surprised he gave a lower-ranking for a QB that hasn't played yet. A little surprised you put somewhat of a cap on him at 9.
I know he said he could rise higher but it would be a surprise. But if you've never seen him play what's the point in giving any number.
I would have stuck with something like "can't wait to see where this one goes."

Reactions: 7 people
Like where we are right now as far as none of the experts have a real clue who anyone on this team is.

QD better be a top 5 on this list and get there quick, or he'll be on the bench.

Reactions: 2 people
1. Fitzgerald
2. Patterson
3. Hurts
4. Allen
5. Dormandy/JG
6. Bentley
7. Stidham
8. Lock
9. #2QB at UGA/Eason
10. Starkel
11. Zaire
12. Johnson
13. Shumur
14. Etling

Fixed it!

Reactions: 2 people
Based on the writer's logic, it's easy to see why Alabama struggled so mightily last year with a freshman starting at QB. Hurts would not have been on the list, yet is #1 this year. You never know until the season starts.

Reactions: 3 people
Like where we are right now as far as none of the experts have a real clue who anyone on this team is.

QD better be a top 5 on this list and get there quick, or he'll be on the bench.

This is what I feel super + about this team. It has no superstars to point to. Maybe Jennings or Kirkland. But, this is a team of nobodies in a "pop-culture" sense. Almost every position is lackluster from a hype perspective. Either the player is coming off injury, played out of position due to roster injury, or has not had a lot of PT on O or D.

But quietly, we are loaded with talent and every player has gotten better, stronger, and faster. Also, we have a lot of talent about to get significant PT for the first time. Throw in strong special teams play, and top notch kickers.

That's a recipe for overachieving IMO. We gone surprise some folks this year.

Reactions: 7 people
I feel really comfortable with the qb position. I think we have two guys that could be starters at most schools.

Reactions: 4 people
Of course as a Tenn fan he's too low.

But looking at it somewhat subjectively, neither QD or JG have shown anything. They both have to prove it.

I'm fine with lower expectations from outsiders.

Reactions: 1 person
Barton Simmons from 247Sports released his rankings for SEC Quarterbacks a couple of days ago. Here's a snippet:

I realize as Tennessee fans, we may have a tendency to view the world through orange-colored glasses, but is Simmons significantly underrating Dormady? From what I've seen out of him, QD looks pretty good throwing the ball. I don't expect him to immediately be as good as Josh Dobbs, but I also don't think he's the 2nd worst QB in the SEC. Not only do we have QD, but Jarrett Guarantano was more highly recruited than Jalen Hurts, who they have ranked as #1.

Personally, I'd take QD over Malik Zaire (who they have at #9) in a heartbeat. No real debate. Can QD really be that low or is this ranking insane? Is this just the "we automatically value mediocre QBs with experience over good QBs without it" logic?

I hope our team comes out this year with a chip on their shoulder. Last season, the media got carried away with 11-1 and 10-2 type predictions. This year, they've gone to the other extreme, saying we have the 2nd worst QB in the SEC, and that we'll finish 4th or 5th in the division (behind Kentucky who we've clobbered for several years in a row!) Maybe I'm wearing orange-colored glasses, I think our team is much better than the media is giving us credit for.

Similar things were said about Tee Martin (no I'm not predicting a NC) and well we know how that turned out.?

I admit it. I paid them to write this.

No, not really. But I would have. This is the best possible kind of article we could hope for.

The offseason for any sports journalist covering any sport is when he is most useless. They do less reporting because there is little to report and more predicting to fill the void. It reminds me of having to listen to Don King in the weeks leading up to a championship fight. It never made any fight more interesting, just as this will have zero effect on Quinten Dormady or any other QBs performance.

I will get out my orange colored glasses when the season starts. Now, excuse me it's time for North Melbourne vs Essendon.

Last edited:
I kinda like when everyone overlooks our players and team. They're gonna surprise a few I think.

This is what I feel super + about this team. It has no superstars to point to. Maybe Jennings or Kirkland. But, this is a team of nobodies in a "pop-culture" sense. Almost every position is lackluster from a hype perspective. Either the player is coming off injury, played out of position due to roster injury, or has not had a lot of PT on O or D.

But quietly, we are loaded with talent and every player has gotten better, stronger, and faster. Also, we have a lot of talent about to get significant PT for the first time. Throw in strong special teams play, and top notch kickers.

That's a recipe for overachieving IMO. We gone surprise some folks this year.

I'm gonna be that guy for a sec but aren't returning players from every team getting bigger, stronger and faster. Only a handful of teams surprise the country each year so don't get too high on them in July and then go nuts in September.

[QUOTE=livefaith;13930550]This is what I feel super + about this team. It has no superstars to point to. Maybe Jennings or Kirkland. But, this is a team of nobodies in a "pop-culture" sense. Almost every position is lackluster from a hype perspective. Either the player is coming off injury, played out of position due to roster injury, or has not had a lot of PT on O or D.

That's a recipe for overachieving IMO. We gone surprise some folks this year.[/QUOTE]

My words exactly! :hi:

QD Will have all the respect he earns! What he is able to accomplish on the ground is yet to be seen, but IMO with our athleticism at wr he could break records through the air.

Unfortunately neither my opinion or his potential gartner any respect...FOR NOW.

This was an observation by a writer for Texas Longhorns on QD at the Elite 11 in 2014 while he was working his way back from shoulder surgery and before his senior year.

Dormady shined brightest during the drills which required some mobility (play action roll-outs, scrambles, etc.). After watching his high school highlights, that certainly isn’t surprising. What distinguished Dormady was his fluidity – when he threw from the run it looked like part of his stride not a forced motion.

VN Store

Back