247 Article-2018 Football Recruiting

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Nice article discussing Jones 2108 class and some of the best classes from UT's past. I know statistics can be misleading but, I had no idea that Jones (&Company) are this hot in recruiting.

"Together, Smith and Mays would be two of the top four offensive line prospects the Vols have ever signed." This is saying something considering the lineman that Fulmer brought in.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/How-Vols-2018-class-stacks-up-to-great-Vols-classes-of-the-past-104019136

Who are the other 2 prospects - out of curiosity?

Reactions: 1 person
Another reason I want to keep Coach Jones. I believe he is determined and working his butt off to get us to an SEC and National Championship. Excellent recruiting news. I hope we can close it and get some EEs.

Reactions: 11 people
The staff is putting together a terrific class no doubt. Would like to see another top notch WR in the fold too.

The staff is putting together a terrific class no doubt. Would like to see another top notch WR in the fold too.

I think they are waiting for the 2019 class to add top notch receivers. There are 4 instate wide receivers in the 2019 class (Trey Knox, Lance Wilhoite, Kendrell Scurry, TJ Sheffield) that could potentially be top 100 overall players in the nation.

Reactions: 3 people
Who are the other 2 prospects - out of curiosity?

Clicking through the 247 pages, it looks like they would be:

The 2000 class had a haul of 3 5-star offensive linemen (Michael Munoz, Jason Respert, Sean Young).

2004 had Albert Toeaina. 4-star, but #2 offensive tackle nationally.

None of those guys, not even Munoz (who had the most successful career by far out of any of them) really realized their full potential. Respert and Young were just total busts, with Respert getting hit with a sexual battery charge and pleading no contest a week before signing day.

Last edited:

The 2000 class had a haul of 3 5-star offensive linemen (Michael Munoz, Jason Respert, Sean Young).

None of those guys, not even Munoz (who had the most successful career by far out of any of them) really realized their full potential. Respert and Young were just total busts, with Respert getting hit with a sexual battery charge and pleading no contest a week before signing day.

It appeared that those charges against Respect were drummed up and nothing ever came of it. He also became a very good Olineman while playing for Tennessee. As far as I know, there has not been anything negative mentioned about him since his high school days except what you just posted. You continue to pump out the SOS.

Reactions: 6 people

Bad knees killed Munoz's career. He had the best freshman season I've ever seen on the O-Line. Had he stayed healthy he would have been a Pro Bowler.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Is it possible that Butch could have a run reminiscent of the run Dabo is having at Clemson? If you remember, no one wanted to keep Dabo in Clemson after the first five years. He lost to SS and SC 5 times in a row, they gave up 73 in a bowl game to WV, I think. Can you imagine if that were UT what people would be saying, but they kept him, and he began to build a very good program that reached the peak last season. I'm not saying he will be. I'm just asking, is that possible? If he keeps recruiting like this, the only question is can he coach them. I don't know the answer to that, but I pray that the does!

Reactions: 3 people
Fact is clicking on the 5* and looking at commits plus where interest is ... Alabama looks to be in trouble.

I think this year might be signaling the beginning of the end for Alabama's run. Saban's been there for 10 years now. Only so long this can go on. I think the run of #1 recruiting classes is over.

They'll probably finish top 10 in the country. But I think we finish with the #1 class in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
Is it possible that Butch could have a run reminiscent of the run Dabo is having at Clemson? If you remember, no one wanted to keep Dabo in Clemson after the first five years. He lost to SS and SC 5 times in a row, they gave up 73 in a bowl game to WV, I think. Can you imagine if that were UT what people would be saying, but they kept him, and he began to build a very good program that reached the peak last season. I'm not saying he will be. I'm just asking, is that possible? If he keeps recruiting like this, the only question is can he coach them. I don't know the answer to that, but I pray that the does!

It's possible because he's taken that first giant leap by upgrading coaching positions. I also like what Scott had to say about going under center more as well. We need to let our RB's carry the load and open up the pass as long as our OL can carry us. Imo, one of Butch's biggest mistakes to date is letting Pittman get away.

I wouldn't say "no one" wanted to keep him after year 5.
3 of his first 5 seasons eclipsed anything Bowden did in 9 full seasons.

Possible? Sure. Most everything is.

Dabo also won 10,11 and 11 in years 3-5. With 3 divisions and 1 conference title.

Probable? No, IMO.

I think this year might be signaling the beginning of the end for Alabama's run. Saban's been there for 10 years now. Only so long this can go on. I think the run of #1 recruiting classes is over.

They'll probably finish top 10 in the country. But I think we finish with the #1 class in the SEC.

Would take 2005 UT-like season to derail Saban's train. I don't see that happening while he is still coaching

VN Store

Back