1993 Tennessee Team

Pump Guy

If Steve Spurrier was my neighbor, I would move.
The summer football doldrums have me watching some old games. I had forgotten what a fun season 1993 was. There were 19 players on that team that would be drafted, but of those, Heath Shuler and Charlie Garner were special. I understand Shuler didn't perform in the NFL like most would have expected (I would argue much of it was out of his control), but I would say he was almost the perfect college quarterback. Then Charlie Garner was simply an amazing running back. On practically any other team in the country James "Little Man" Stewart and Aaron Hayden would have been first string running backs that year.

Of course Heath went pro that year, which was a huge distraction at the Citrus Bowl against Penn State. A year later I was in Bryson City and met Heath's aunt. I asked her about his decision to turn pro and she said that everyone wanted him to stay. Heath had asked her husband at Christmas what he thought about going pro and so he then asked Heath "who came in second in the Heisman last year?" Heath answered, " I have no idea" and his uncle responded, "no one remembers".

A good game to check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azaTRGs_reA&t=6167s

Reactions: 1 person
I MISS Ron Franklin...

1Ron-Franklin.jpg

"Sweet Baby"

Reactions: 14 people
It was so disappointing to see us lead Bama the entire game on the road just to see them score a TD and a two point conversion in the final seconds to record a tie.

Reactions: 5 people
I have been doing the same thing, going back and watching old games. The 2004 game vs Florida has been the one that stuck out to me right now.

Wilhoit missing that extra point to tie the game, but getting the chance to make up for it with a 50 yard fg was great!!!

Of course that penalty against Baker helped set it up. :)

I have been doing the same thing, going back and watching old games. The 2004 game vs Florida has been the one that stuck out to me right now.

Wilhoit missing that extra point to tie the game, but getting the chance to make up for it with a 50 yard fg was great!!!

Of course that penalty against Baker helped set it up. :)

I remember being so nervous before that kick, and then the redemption for the missed xp. What a night.

I MISS Ron Franklin...

1Ron-Franklin.jpg

"Sweet Baby"

yep, me too...him and Gottfried were the best (IMO) tandem I can recall ever seeing....and Punch on he sideline is good as well
any one notice the checkerboard paint scheme in the end zones.....has the orange border around the checkerboard...to me it looks better than the green border

loved that era of football

Reactions: 4 people
It was so disappointing to see us lead Bama the entire game on the road just to see them score a TD and a two point conversion in the final seconds to record a tie.

I was in the Navy on a ship in California on duty. Couldn't leave the ship to watch the game so I watched the ESPN bottom line as it went from 10-9 to 17-9 to 17-17.

Couldn't believe it.

yep, me too...him and Gottfried were the best (IMO) tandem I can recall ever seeing....and Punch on he sideline is good as well
any one notice the checkerboard paint scheme in the end zones.....has the orange border around the checkerboard...to me it looks better than the green border

loved that era of football

That was the checkerboard look before natural grass.

Will always remember the reverse on the punt return against Louisville that Nilo took to the house that was a fun year.

Especially with the Vols stacking the middle with Palmer behind center for the two point conversion. Who would think he was going to go up the middle?

They changed the rule about paint in the end zone.
Checkerboard cannot touch the end lines or goal line.

ONE of the 90's teams I thought were actually better than the 98 team

I was so ready for that team to break out! Fulmers first official year. Stacked on both sides of the ball. Special teams. You name it, that team should have had a Natty!

Beginning of Spurriors dominance IMO.

Last edited:
I MISS Ron Franklin...

1Ron-Franklin.jpg

"Sweet Baby"

Best ESPN ever hired. If the Vol network had hired him to replace Ward, I would have radios in every room. Mute the TV. Now? There might be one in the attic.

They changed the rule about paint in the end zone.
Checkerboard cannot touch the end lines or goal line.

did not know that - don't understand the purpose for the rule either but what the hey...

I was in the Navy on a ship in California on duty. Couldn't leave the ship to watch the game so I watched the ESPN bottom line as it went from 10-9 to 17-9 to 17-17.

Couldn't believe it.

Of course, Bama had to vacate the tie because they got caught cheating (AGAIN). Shocker, I know.

There's a highlight video of that season "Tearing Up the Turf" that is great. 1993 was the last year of the artificial turf.

VN Store

Back