Disappointment Warning 4 Some If my prediction holds true.

Nocleats

I know I have seen many Posters on here excited about QDs arm and JGs arm as well. While I don't doubt that, the reason for my belief is at the core of CBJs offense.. It is built on a RUN first attitude. Coach Jake preached it, Coach DeBorg preached it, and IF YOU LISTEN, Coach Scott preaches it too.
Breaking in 2 new QBs, only 1 really established WR, and a quality TE is not the recipe for going to the air more than in the past. Probably just the opposite.. Strap up that now experienced OLine and run it for 4 and 5 yard grunts all day long.
Also a good chance 2nd RB is a true freshmen so its doubtful his pass blocking will be up to speed anytime in near future.

Just see the Vols keeping it on the ground more than in the past this year
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The offensive line was supposed to be experienced and good last year and it was mediocre at best. It'll actually be younger this year, on average, if Trey Smith starts. He's supposed to be all-world but true freshmen shouldn't have to start on an SEC offensive line.

The offensive line and defensive front seven will be the key to this year, just like it is any year. If we get above average play there, they'll win 8 or 9 games no matter who the QB is.

Reactions: 5 people
I feel like 90% of all offenses in football (college and pro) work best when you use the run to set up the pass. I dont think its just CBJs offense.

Reactions: 14 people
I know I have seen many Posters on here excited about QDs arm and JGs arm as well. While I don't doubt that, the reason for my belief is at the core of CBJs offense.. It is built on a RUN first attitude. Coach Jake preached it, Coach DeBorg preached it, and IF YOU LISTEN, Coach Scott preaches it too.
Breaking in 2 new QBs, only 1 really established WR, and a quality TE is not the recipe for going to the air more than in the past. Probably just the opposite.. Strap up that now experienced OLine and run it for 4 and 5 yard grunts all day long.
Also a good chance 2nd RB is a true freshmen so its doubtful his pass blocking will be up to speed anytime in near future.
Thought?

I will just enjoy each game as it comes.

Reactions: 15 people

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone expects, or wants, to see either QB running an air raid offense. But what I want to see is a QB who can consistently hit a receiver in stride, particularly in 3rd down situations.

Reactions: 11 people
I don't think anyone expects, or wants, to see either QB running an air raid offense. But what I want to see is a QB who can consistently hit a receiver in stride, particularly in 3rd down situations.

That is when this type of offense is at its best.

Reactions: 3 people
The offensive line was supposed to be experienced and good last year and it was mediocre at best.

Last year's line was simply out of shape and not ready to compete. App St made them look awful. I don't believe Rock and Wells will let that happen this year. Anyone who's not killing it in the weight room will see a lot of the bench, no matter who they are. I just don't see a repeat of last year's performance. Of course, injuries always play a significant role. Let's hope we can get through the season with only minor ones.

Thoughts?

Sounds like we need a big tall RB to run it.?.?.?

I think we will see much more balance in Offense.

Better OL blocking means more TE passes which adds hesitation to LBs that must decide to cover TE, Slot or play the run.

TE will also help open up WR and Running game. Should do better on the large gainers.

Also, we brought in a lot of new coaches to refine and enhance the Offense, not let it go stale.

That is when this type of offense is at its best.

I agree and I think you'll see a more traditional approach by our new OC. The idea of inexperienced QBs, especially early in the season and early time in games giving them high percentage throws to make, the confidence thing. Then opening it up based on how they are playing, later in the season I expect by the Bama game if the starter has progressed enough we could see surprises early.

My original point was those that think the Vols will throw it more this season will probably be disappointed. I see the percentage to tilt harder to the run this season, at least through the 1st 2/3rds of the year.

VN Store

Back