What Certain Aspect Of Butch's Coaching Needs To Improve?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
As the season is approaching, we all know this is a very important year for Butch's job security.

Last season we had some good wins and bad losses due to coaching.

Now I'm not talking about games that Butch needs to win. What certain aspect of Butch's coaching needs to improve?

Being conservative has always been one of Butch's biggest flaws that's cost him games. I also think he's been too controlling and didn't really give his assistants a chance to do what they're hired to do.

Apparently Butch seems more relaxed than ever so hopefully it's a sign that he knows this season can make or break him. He needs to lay everything on the line and treat every game like it's the National Championship. Take more chances, switch up plays, do whatever you have to do to win and stop coaching scared!

Reactions: 2 people
I also think he's been too controlling and didn't really give his assistants a chance to do what they're hired to do.

One of my favorite trolling quotes. What evidence do you have of this?

If Butch is so overbearing, why is it he manages to upgrade his assistants when he replaces them? Weird how that happens even though he's such a micromanager....

Reactions: 7 people
One of my favorite trolling quotes. What evidence do you have of this?

If Butch is so overbearing, why is it he manages to upgrade his assistants when he replaces them? Weird how that happens even though he's such a micromanager....

I asked for a link to any micromanaging story just the other day, didn't see one.

Conservative when leading is something I would change.
Saban often coaches conservative but it's easier to do when you out talent opponents by such a wide margin.
We are equal or less talented at times. Don't have to play crazy and high risk but, imo, aggressive would make a real difference.

Reactions: 1 person
There was a time I thought that Butch was a micromanager. I had heard the rumors and got suckered into believing it without proof.

From what I have seen he seems to be the other way. I'm starting to feel like he doesn't keep close enough watch on his assistant coaches. He let Martinez regress the Db's, Mahoney did a poor job with the o line for way to long. Other than making sure his offensive system is ran he doesn't look like a micromanager to me. I'm hoping he realizes that this could be a pivotal year and has more input and guidance on what he expects from his assistants.

This is just speculation on my part because none of us really know.

I too want him to become more aggressive.

It is hard to accurately say what Butch needs to improve on when we do not know how much he delegates to other members of the staff, but as far as the entire staff/team, I think we need to see better situational play calling, need to be more aggressive, and put our players in the best position to succeed. For example, we need to play the best players who have earned the spot, not favorites, and we need to get the ball to our playmakers as much as possible (Berry, Byrd, Kelly, Jennings, etc.).

Never say, "Behind the chains.", ever again.

Duplicate the 2nd half performance against Florida.

Figure out how to ice a game. I suggest scoring more points.

Send pressure on 4th and long(chart worthy).

1. In-game management...pretty obvious seeing as how Butch has been out coached by guys like Derek friggin Mason. Come on little guy, it's time to step up.

2. Taking ownership of the product on the field rather than mitigate as much blame as possible and using dumb cliche's to put a silver lining on everything...last time I checked we don't get a crystal football at the end of the season for being champions of life.

Reactions: 5 people
Also, he needs to quit saying resiliency and resolve so much.

His 1st year he said "consistency" constantly. I missed that last year as great as we played at times, we played just as bad.

He needs to get the players to take all games as serious competition. Coming out flat or slow, maybe over confident, must end.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope he tries to score 100pts on every single opponent. I hope he keeps one foot on their throat and one foot on the gas, even if we're winning by 40. Of course, pull the starters around 4mins left in the game, when we're winning big - avoid injuries, etc.

I'd also like to see him get less flustered in the big moments of the big-time games. I suppose that has to do with in-game decision making. I think he has the experience and the right staff around him now that this shouldn't be a problem any longer.

I hope he tries to score 100pts on every single opponent. I hope he keeps one foot on their throat and one foot on the gas, even if we're winning by 40. Of course, pull the starters around 4mins left in the game, when we're winning big - avoid injuries, etc.

I'd also like to see him get less flustered in the big moments of the big-time games. I suppose that has to do with in-game decision making. I think he has the experience and the right staff around him now that this shouldn't be a problem any longer.

I totally agree, all good stuff here. We need to be aggressive and put teams away early and not let up. I get sportsmanship, but we need to earn our reputation back and pound teams into the dirt. No mercy. In some games we would take leads, but play so conservative that the other team remained in the game longer than necessary. Lastly, Butch does seem to falter and get out coached when the game is on the line, so hopefully his experiences from past seasons and the new and improved staff can influence and change that. I really want Butch to succeed here, more so for Tennessee's overall success, but he needs to show us that he has learned and can win big here. We need to see results on the field now.

Last edited:
Adaptablity. He needs to learn to adapt in game and open his playing style up to the strengths of his players rather than stubbornly following his "proven methods". We have wasted some good offensive talents such as Marquez North, Jalen Hurd, Preston Williams, Tyler Byrd, Ethan Wolfe, and even Alvin Kamara at times before he was the starter.

Reactions: 4 people
Adaptablity. He needs to learn to adapt in game and open his playing style up to the strengths of his players rather than stubbornly following his "proven methods". We have wasted some good offensive talents such as Marquez North, Jalen Hurd, Preston Williams, Tyler Byrd, Ethan Wolfe, and even Alvin Kamara at times before he was the starter.

I'm interested to see how we are this season. He said he was going to adapt to the players and that we should see more snaps under center this year. I think he gets that he can't run the same offense under a QB that isn't as mobile as Dobbs.

I hope so anyway. We'll see.

This is going to sound generic, but I think his overall program management needs to improve. Last year was a train wreck that had Butch's fingerprints all over it.

Going a season without S&C coach is just bush league amateurism. The position exist for a reason and I believe a lot of our injuries were a direct result of this debacle.

Game management...Name a game time decision that could be considered coaching genius from last year. The hail mary?? Did we run a single trick play last year?

Blind assistant loyalty...Mahoney should have never been here. When 5 soon to be NFL linemen walk into your office and ask you to keep a proven offensive line coach and you say "no, i like my guy better", he better be money. We all know how this story ended. Bajakian, Jancek debacle, Martinez and our last OC that was so special I can't even remember his name.

Media management...we all know the phrases. Just accept responsibility and shut up.

That being said, I love SOME of the new coaches and I think overall we will be improved in the coaching department...Still have some big question marks though. This QB coach has some proving to do as does the young WR coach. Larry Scott has to be an improvement, but how much of one remains to be seen.

Reactions: 3 people
As the season is approaching, we all know this is a very important year for Butch's job security.

Last season we had some good wins and bad losses due to coaching.

Now I'm not talking about games that Butch needs to win. What certain aspect of Butch's coaching needs to improve?

Being conservative has always been one of Butch's biggest flaws that's cost him games. I also think he's been too controlling and didn't really give his assistants a chance to do what they're hired to do.

Apparently Butch seems more relaxed than ever so hopefully it's a sign that he knows this season can make or break him. He needs to lay everything on the line and treat every game like it's the National Championship. Take more chances, switch up plays, do whatever you have to do to win and stop coaching scared!

Letting his coaches coach. Release some control and show trust.

I'm interested to see how we are this season. He said he was going to adapt to the players and that we should see more snaps under center this year. I think he gets that he can't run the same offense under a QB that isn't as mobile as Dobbs.

I hope so anyway. We'll see.

If that's the case, we should have seen more of the I the past two years.

Luck led to 152 wins....right.

Down SEC? Same down SEC that won 3 nat'l titles from 92-98 with 3 different teams?

Admittedly unrelated to the thread topic, but come on...

What happened between '98 and '08?

The SEC was down from '93 till CUM went to Fla. After '92 it was basically CSS CFF and everybody else with Fulmer playing second fiddle. So, yeah, the SEC was down.

That 152-52 is a misnomer. An inherited/pre-built program that he took over. Whats the winning percentage after '98? So, yeah, luck and when it ran out that was all she wrote.

What happened between '98 and '08?

The SEC was down from '93 till CUM went to Fla. After '92 it was basically CSS CFF and everybody else with Fulmer playing second fiddle. So, yeah, the SEC was down.

That 152-52 is a misnomer. An inherited/pre-built program that he took over. Whats the winning percentage after '98? So, yeah, luck and when it ran out that was all she wrote.

Luck doesn't just happen to run by the decade, now that's just silliness. If CPF is yet another UT fb related member that you're not fan of, then go with it was all cutcliffe or other, better coaches moved in. At least something believable.

But back to the conservative because of talent advantage.

It would be hypocritical to praise Nick for doing so yet condemn another coach.
Down right questionable if the other coach was from our own team.

Reactions: 6 people
1) His game planning needs to be better beyond the script

2) He has to learn not to take the bait from other teams, such as set up plays.

3) Learn to adjust to the other team's adjustment

4) How to rotate guys to where half the team doesn't go off the field.

5) Have more confidence in his guys and be more aggressive

6) Don't play the field position game all the time

Most of his ineptitude is actually in his strategic mind.

A

Define conservative. I just don't see that in the offense that Tennessee runs. Are you talking about he doesn't run enough "trick" plays?

VN Store

Back