Peter Burns Twitter - Tennessee Football Stats

Volunteer08

I saw a thread on Volquest referring to this tweet and thought it was worth sharing...

DE8wyWjXgAEUyLW.jpg

Here is the link to his Twitter page if that doesn't work...

https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Reactions: 27 people
You guys can carve it up however you want, but all I see is progress. We've come a long way so let's just hope the trend continues.

Reactions: 80 people
3 bowl wins over 3 mediocre big 10 teams.

Everyone really needs to cool it on that stat.

Funny how those teams are really good teams until UT beats them - then they are mediocre. Same was said about VT - great team, going to beat UT, then UT won and VT becomes a mediocre team.

Some of you are so predictable.

Reactions: 56 people
Like it or not, stats don't lie. Whatever side you're own; for or against Butch, we are in a better place than we were 5 years ago. Most want overnight success, but this is the SEC. He had to rebrand us because we had fallen off so bad that we were not even relevant. We are now relevant and on the verge of annual contention. Yeah yeah we lost to Vandy and SCe. Bad games happen, Bama lost in the post season to OU in 2013, OSU in '14, Clemson in '16 and lost at home in '15 to Ole Miss. It could be argued that they can't win the big game.
The stats are what they are a measuring stick. Yes, last season wasn't what we desired, but then again over 100 other FBS teams would have loved to have won 9 games. There's room for improvement and we are headed in the right direction.

Reactions: 56 people
...and all of that ignores simply going game by game and analyzing the schedule and results. Anybody who knows anything about Tennessee football knows that the schedule set up beautifully after the bye week but we had not one but two bad losses.

The school record points and PPG numbers are the epitome of having your mind made up ahead of time and searching for stats that fit your sunshine pumper narrative. The point total was juiced against inferior competition/horrible defenses (55 against Tennessee Tech, 49 against Kentucky, 63 against Missouri). The offense also played badly against some inferior defenses (App St, Ohio, South Carolina). Against quality competition, the offense was either outright bad (Alabama) or wildly inconsistent (Virginia Tech, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M).

That's the beauty of college football. They only play 12 regular season games, and you can just go game by game to do an analysis of how the season was. It isn't like baseball, basketball, or hockey where averages mean more.

Reactions: 2 people
We just lost to Candy. How is that progress?

We didn't just lose to Vandy. It's July 18th, jack. New season is a month away. Quit looking in the rear view and pouting.

And if you can't see progress, you are making a conscious decision to ignore it and hang onto a Butch vendetta.

Reactions: 20 people
This is not a Herculean effort by Butch more than it is an indictment of how bad it was in the decade leading to his hire.

Reactions: 8 people
If you can't see progress in all that, take a hike.

I honestly think it's improvement from where we used to be after the Dooley era.

Sure, Butch had some very bad inexcusable losses last year but this is a brand new season coming up so he has another chance to prove all the doubters wrong and win back some of our fanbase.

Reactions: 4 people
It doesn't take a "Josh Dobbs" to see we have made progress. Can we do better yes but just a few years ago we had to get a soccer player out of the frat house to come kick for us...

Reactions: 6 people
In this case, UT has progressed to "average".
Great.

Butch gave more success to other teams last season than he did to UT.
- SC gets to a bowl game
- Vandy gets to a bowl game
- Fla gets to Atlanta

Reactions: 5 people
You guys can carve it up however you want, but all I see is progress. We've come a long way so let's just hope the trend continues.

This ^^^^^ represents lowerered fanbase expectations.

Sure it's better now compared to the Dooley era. But, it's not where it should be even under Butch!

Reactions: 3 people
I wish the NEGA's would go NEGA elsewhere else...say jump on the Bama bandwagon with all their current fair-weather fans and mr. perfection coach.

I'm not 100% on Butch be we are definitely heading in the right direction. Yes he's made some bonehead coaching errors and we've had too many key players go down with injuries but, as it has been said: sometimes it's better to stick with the devil you know vs. the one you don't.

Reactions: 14 people
I wish the NEGA's would go NEGA elsewhere else...say jump on the Bama bandwagon with all their current fair-weather fans and mr. perfection coach.

I'm not 100% on Butch be we are definitely heading in the right direction. Yes he's made some bonehead coaching errors and we've had too many key players go down with injuries but, as it has been said: sometimes it's better to stick with the devil you know vs. the one you don't.

If I'm taking a plane from Boston to LA, I'm not happy that we only have fuel to make it to Denver.
Headed the right direction but will never get there.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back