How a 16 team SEC might look

How a 16-team SEC might look:
img_7578.jpg

Reactions: 21 people
Expansion has been beaten like a dead horse.

I am convinced that there will be a 16 team conference. I look for there to be 4 of them. The "big 5" is a problem to determine a 4 team playoff (or 8 or whatever). How it develops is up for pure speculation. I personally think a VA school and NC school make the most sense. Or to consolidate geography maybe FSU and Clemson. Who knows?

I wasn't a fan of adding Mizzou or TAMU. And I'm definitely not a fan of adding anymore Big 12 schools. But money talks in this situation. If it has to happen (again, I don't want this) I would rather add Virginia Tech and another Southern school like Memphis, Wake Forest, Clemson, or FSU.

And the proposed NW division is like the Big 12's scorned lovers: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

At least this setup protects the TSIO, and it would be nice to play Auburn on the regular again. We had a solid rivalry back in the day.

Even if the SEC did expand to 16 teams, the more obvious prospects for addition would be Virginia Tech (DC media market), Virginia (ditto), and North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro-WS). I don't see expansion any time soon, however.

Why not bring in Clemson and Georgia Tech? It would strengthen the SEC media footprint in the entire states of South Carolina and Georgia. It would also allow for these long time rivalries between the four Georgia and South Carolina heavies to have SEC importance. The addition of Georgia Tech would also provide an increased overall academic profile for the SEC. Recruiting-wise it may even cut down on the poaching of recruits in these states by the schools from competing Power 5 conferences.
The two divisions could be as follows:

East
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Georgia
South Carolina
Clemson
Florida
Kentucky

West
Alabama
Auburn
Miss St
Ole Miss
LSU
Texas A&M
Mizzou
Arkansas

Let the teams play each other once in their own Division and allow for two games per team for cross-divisional play for a total of 9 games per team in SEC play. Each school will have a designated permanent cross-divisional rival such as:

Tenn-Bama, UGA-Auburn,Vandy-Ole miss, UK-Arky, GT-Miss St, Clemson-TAMU, Uf-LSU, and South Carolina-Mizzou.

In the sense of fairness and parity, the second cross divisional games would be determined by individual schools W-L records the previous year: Ones versus ones, two vs twos, etc.. This year, for example, Florida would be playing Alabama, Tennessee would be pitted versus Auburn, Georgia would go against LSU and so on. As far as east vs west in this scenario Florida would have to play LSU and Bama, TN would have Bama and Auburn, Georgia would have Auburn and LSU. The top 3 teams from each division would have a tough path no matter who they played.

Reactions: 5 people
In the sense of fairness and parity, the second cross divisional games would be determined by individual schools W-L records the previous year: Ones versus ones, two vs twos, etc.. This year, for example, Florida would be playing Alabama, Tennessee would be pitted versus Auburn, Georgia would go against LSU and so on. As far as east vs west in this scenario Florida would have to play LSU and Bama, TN would have Bama and Auburn, Georgia would have Auburn and LSU. The top 3 teams from each division would have a tough path no matter who they played.

I like the idea of deciding the cross divisional games by order of previous year's record.

Reactions: 2 people
I like the idea of deciding the cross divisional games by order of previous year's record.

We could even take that a step further and grant the teams with the higher in-conference records from the prior year the home game. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU would all have the home games this year.

If the SEC expands to 16, it should add Oklahoma and Notre Dame and do away with divisions and go to 9 conference games. Each team should have 3 designated rivalries that get played each year, and the remaining 6 games would rotate through the remaining 12 teams so that every team faces all conference teams at a minimum of every other season, and you play a home and home with every conference team at least every 4 seasons.

So for Tennessee, assume our protected rivals are Alabama, Vanderbilt and Florida. four years of our schedule would look like this:

Year 1:

@Florida
Georgia
@Missouri
Alabama
@Arkansas
LSU
@South Carolina
Oklahoma
@Vanderbilt

Year 2:

Florida
@Auburn
Ole Miss
@Alabama
Notre Dame
@Kentucky
Miss St
@Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

Year 3:

@Florida
@Georgia
Missouri
Alabama
Arkansas
@LSU
South Carolina
@Oklahoma
@Vanderbilt

Year 4:

Florida
Auburn
@Ole Miss
@Alabama
@Notre Dame
Kentucky
@Miss St
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

Top two teams by conference record go to Atlanta. If there is a tie, then look at head to head, record against common opponents, etc. for tie breakers.

Expansion has been beaten like a dead horse.

I am convinced that there will be a 16 team conference. I look for there to be 4 of them. The "big 5" is a problem to determine a 4 team playoff (or 8 or whatever). How it develops is up for pure speculation. I personally think a VA school and NC school make the most sense. Or to consolidate geography maybe FSU and Clemson. Who knows?

Here is what will likely happen. When each member school is accustomed to getting "X" amount of money for t.v. revenue, then you add 16 teams still divide the money, then each member school will get less money.

"X" divided by 14 = "Z" by "X" divided by 16 = "Y"

So, to increase the t.v. revenue that each school gets, we will need to get more viewers.

If you add Clemson, you already have South Carolina area watching South Carolina.
If you add Louisville, you already have the Kentucky fans.
If you add a Texas school, you already have A & M.
If you add F.S.U., you already have the Florida fans.
If you add Georgia Tech, then the S.E.C. is already in that area.

So, we need to expand the S.E.C. in a large t.v. market.
Atlanta is already S.E.C. country. St. Louis is already S.E.C. Houston is already S.E.C.

So, we need to go to the Washington D.C. area, the New York area or the Los Angeles area for more t.v. revenue.

Syracuse, Virginia or U.C.L.A......

Reactions: 2 people
Why not bring in Clemson and Georgia Tech? It would strengthen the SEC media footprint in the entire states of South Carolina and Georgia. It would also allow for these long time rivalries between the four Georgia and South Carolina heavies to have SEC importance. The addition of Georgia Tech would also provide an increased overall academic profile for the SEC. Recruiting-wise it may even cut down on the poaching of recruits in these states by the schools from competing Power 5 conferences.
The two divisions could be as follows:

East
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Georgia
South Carolina
Clemson
Florida
Kentucky

West
Alabama
Auburn
Miss St
Ole Miss
LSU
Texas A&M
Mizzou
Arkansas

Let the teams play each other once in their own Division and allow for two games per team for cross-divisional play for a total of 9 games per team in SEC play. Each school will have a designated permanent cross-divisional rival such as:

Tenn-Bama, UGA-Auburn,Vandy-Ole miss, UK-Arky, GT-Miss St, Clemson-TAMU, Uf-LSU, and South Carolina-Mizzou.

I don't know the specifics, I wasn't paying that much attention back in the late 80's, early 90's. But from what I have heard, Georgia Tech would not be welcomed back into the SEC.

And the ACC has actually grown into a respectable conference. I don't know that we could just poach whatever teams we want. The whole reason the article chose the Oklahoma schools was because he thinks the Big 12 will break up soon anyway.

Hey if we are going to dream ... let's do 4 x 4.

Texas A&M
Arkansas
Missouri
LSU

Ole Miss
Miss State
Alabama
Auburn

Tenn
Vandy
Kentucky
Va Tech/UVa

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina

We play everyone in our group. Plus one fixed game from each of the other groups.
Plus one rotating game from the other groups.
9 game schedule.

Fire away... :^)

Reactions: 3 people
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/16-t...-conference-playoff-college-football-oklahoma

I don't believe the SEC would expand again, but if it did, what do you think of this alignment/scheduling?
Siap

Disagree in 3 to 6 years, the Power 5 will downsize to Power 4.

SEC(14), Pac12, B1G(14), and ACC(14) will absorb Big 10 to make four 16 team super-conferences with 3 games to decide SEC Champs as well as other conference Champs. Two more games to decide National Champion.

I also expect the same thing to happen to the "Group of 5" conferences so they get a national champ as well and that will be good for teams like Air Force, East Carolina, Southern Miss and Utah State.

I expect SEC to get Oklahoma and either K-State or an ACC team from VA/NC like NCST or OKST. I wouldn't rule out a Miami or Baylor but I think it doesn't make sense from a TV rights standpoint.

Last edited:
We just need to make sure our division includes South Carolina, Vandy and Kentucky.

Let Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Georgia play in a division together.

That would be Awesome!

I say send Mizzo and aTm back to where they came from and take USCe and Arky with them.

Outsiders IMO

A&M should absolutely be in the conf. They are a great addition and have a great fan base. I agree with getting rid of mizzu. I would have rather seen WV or NC/VAtech.

We have enough teams. They need to adjust schedules so everyone plays everyone at least once in four years, i.e. one more conference game each year.

That being said, I wouldn't mind enticing Oklahoma into the fold if for no other reason than it would screw Texas. I would like for Texas to fall into the pit. They have the gall to refer to themselves as UT and it makes me mad!

Reactions: 1 person
If I had my wish list, we would boot Missouri and aTm, add Oklahoma and OSU (apparently OU won't come over without them) to the west, and add VA Tech and WVU in the east.

VN Store

Back