Neyland Stadium Question

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
Can anyone tell me what the small tunnel beside section F (between F&G) is used for? Is is for the cheerleaders/ Smokey? Just curious. Here's a pic. You can see it on the middle right.

neyland-stadium-ncaaf-t-800x600.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Old footage I believe shows team running out of it maybe like 1950s? Now I have no idea what it's used for?

635781006039765305-t-poster.JPG

Reactions: 8 people
F and g, as noted by the OP, is on the right. I circled it to make it more noticeable. I'm guessing it's just another way for field access.

Attachments

• IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 547
Paul Bain and Trey Smith were doing the circle of life drill and Trey pushed him so far back he hit the wall and created that tunnel.

I think he is talking about the very very small tunnel that is all the way to the right of the pic at the very base of where the seating begins.

The home team used the C/D tunnel and visitors used the south endzone (still used) for decades. I see the small one circled and have no clue. It may have even been rest rooms back in the day when the east side was visitors' side. We would not want them peeing with the good folks in orange! I'll look at some old pictures and see if it clears it up.

The home team used the C/D tunnel and visitors used the south endzone (still used) for decades. I see the small one circled and have no clue. It may have even been rest rooms back in the day when the east side was visitors' side. We would not want them peeing with the good folks in orange! I'll look at some old pictures and see if it clears it up.

Thanks. It's one of those things I see every game but have no idea what it's used for.

Old footage I believe shows team running out of it maybe like 1950s? Now I have no idea what it's used for?

They came out through that tunnel until some time in the 80s.

Edit: To be honest, I had never even noticed that small tunnel, but it looks like it leads right into old South Stadium Hall. I had biology labs in that general area. Looks too small for maintenance or groundskeepers. Maybe security access. Don't know where cheerleaders enter from. Never have shown up before they did.

I believe the dead bodies are under sections A and B.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's one of those things I see every game but have no idea what it's used for.

I can rule out the restroom access. I found an old picture of Shields-Watkins on the internet (I didn't have one that old). It was before the south endzone was built and shows nothing there at all.

The southern structure was a student dormitory and later offices for professors. It could have been an emergency exit or whatever. It may have been for the band to use to get to/from the other end of the stadium when they moved to what is now G from X.

Attachments

• early shields watkins.jpg
    early shields watkins.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 309
I can rule out the restroom access. I found an old picture of Shields-Watkins on the internet (I didn't have one that old). It was before the south endzone was built and shows nothing there at all.

The southern structure was a student dormitory and later offices for professors. It could have been an emergency exit or whatever. It may have been for the band to use to get to/from the other end of the stadium when they moved to what is now G from X.

Thanks, OBB.

I thought of the band as well...for storage of props, etc. Maybe a current or former member of the Pride will chime in.

Remember the scene in Inglorious Basterds when "The Bear Jew" was banging his bat on the wall before he came out to "play"? Well that's the tunnel at Neyland were they keep Bain in on game day. When the crowd gets quite, you can hear his helmet tapping the wall.

Was going to add the link but, it's an Tarantino movie and there might be children online who could watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I used to spend a couple of weeks every summer with my relatives in North Knoxville. I'm not sure which year it was but was probably in the mid 80's that I rode a bike tot he stadium and just walked on in. I went in that old locker room, there were some cards the cheerleaders would hold up during the game, and some training tables. I even went through the building that the stadium is built around. It was really cool for a 14 to 15 year old kid, no one ever questioned why I was there. Much different world than it is today.

Reactions: 2 people
Here's the scoop. The team has never come out of that little tunnel. HOWEVER.....

If you have studied the stadium renovations planned for the next couple of years, There will be a lounge under the south stands with a place to hang out behind the endzone. Visitors team will then have to use that to get on and off the field. Coming soon

Attachments

• 2017-07-18 11_19_10-Neyland-Stadium-Concept-2016.jpg
    2017-07-18 11_19_10-Neyland-Stadium-Concept-2016.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 10
Here's the scoop. The team has never come out of that little tunnel. HOWEVER.....

If you have studied the stadium renovations planned for the next couple of years, There will be a lounge under the south stands with a place to hang out behind the endzone. Visitors team will then have to use that to get on and off the field. Coming soon

If the visiting team will use it the opening should be reduced to about 5'6" and much more narrow! Make 'em grovel.

You beat me to it! The visitors will come out of there instead of the middle of the south end zone which will give them a much less glorious entry!! Good for us! I especially hate it when the visitors run out while we're running thru the T. That's classless!
When they get Neyland completely redone, it's going to be unreal awesome!

Thanks. That little tunnel is visible in the rendering you attached. So that's where the visitors will come out after the renovations? Interesting.

VN Store

Back