Love this quote from Ty Chandler

CamVol8

“I always enjoy staying with him every time I’m up there. I’m ready to learn some things from JK. Just get the ball rolling up at Tennessee and (eventually) rush for 1,000 or 2,000 yards (in a season).”

Absolutely cannot wait to watch that duo this fall 😎

Reactions: 27 people
LDJQpoH.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Like at the DL, as long as we stay healthy we should be okay. Kelly looked almost as good as Kamara to me last year and Chandler should be legit

Reactions: 3 people
Like at the DL, as long as we stay healthy we should be okay. Kelly looked almost as good as Kamara to me last year and Chandler should be legit

Kelly more than likely will out play his previous 3* coming out of high school. An absolute steal for Butch.

Reactions: 5 people
Kelly more than likely will out play his previous 3* coming out of high school. An absolute steal for Butch.

Already has imo. Runs with great burst, ferocity and vision. Already a better college running back (running the ball) than Hurd was here.

Reactions: 7 people
Looks like he just outran everyone in HS. May not be the case at UT.

I wanna see his toughness. Those highlights don't show a ton other than some good vision and a little bit of lateral movement ......and the ability to outrun high school kids that'll never play at the SEC/D1 level. I think he's gonna be really, really good but we need to see him vs college competition. We'll know quickly.

Reactions: 2 people
I wanna see his toughness. Those highlights don't show a ton other than some good vision and a little bit of lateral movement ......and the ability to outrun high school kids that'll never play at the SEC/D1 level. I think he's gonna be really, really good but we need to see him vs college competition. We'll know quickly.

He 'll do fine.

Reactions: 7 people
I hope Kelly has a great year, mind you, but I have to laugh at his rather odd transformation from third-string running back to some sort of running back guru. He's not as good as Kamara, and I think we'll see running back by committee more this year.

Reactions: 1 person

I have seen several high school kids film but have never seen their film while in high school running against college competition. :ermm:

Reactions: 15 people
Already has imo. Runs with great burst, ferocity and vision. Already a better college running back (running the ball) than Hurd was here.

John Kelly might be a better runner than Hurd but not likely. Hurd gained lots of yards at Tennessee and most of those yards were tough yards behind a terrible offense line. So disappointed in Hurd and his decision. Worst case scenario for Hurd is he finishes his time at UT and he would never run out of job offers or buy many beers in Knoxville.

Kelly will likely have more leadership and character than Hurd. Only time will tell.

Reactions: 2 people
John Kelly might be a better runner than Hurd but not likely. Hurd gained lots of yards at Tennessee and most of those yards were tough yards behind a terrible offense line. So disappointed in Hurd and his decision. Worst case scenario for Hurd is he finishes his time at UT and he would never run out of job offers or buy many beers in Knoxville.

Kelly will likely have more leadership and character than Hurd. Only time will tell.

Hurd had terrible vision and couldn't find a hole to save his life. Also, his "speed" was a bit overrated. There's been plenty of times when I saw him chased down by a DL or LB from behind.

Sure, you can blame the O-Line to some extent but Hurd just wasn't that great as we would thought he'd turn out to be. His quitter mentality topped it off.

Reactions: 8 people
Personally I hope he keeps that #44. It reminds me of old school football. Chuck Webb for one. All these young kids want the small numbers.

I am disappointed in Hurd for his decision and last year's game antics, but the guy was talented. He would have broken the all-time rushing record at Tennessee if he would have stayed. He just was not the best fit for our offense. He was tall and was not able to hide behind the line well so the defense always knew where he was going. I do agree that his vision was not the best, but then again he is a power back. He created a lot of plays with broken tackles and shear power.

The good thing about Kelly is he can hide behind the line and hit the empty hole hard. It makes the defense guess where he will be and that burst of speed releases him into the secondary and creates big plays, just like AK. Kelly is just a way better fit for our offensive style. I hope he has a big year. If he can take 60-70% of the carries with Carlin and Chandler taking the other 30-40%, I think we will be in good shape. My only worry is I hope he does not overdo it or work too hard, he's very energetic, which is great, but I do not want him to exhaust himself since he will be the primary back this season.

Kelly is a smaller version of Jay Graham. Runs hard between the tackles and is good on straight line runs but like Graham, not a lot of wiggle to make tacklers miss. A comparison to Graham should be considered a compliment.

Reactions: 5 people
Hurd had terrible vision and couldn't find a hole to save his life. Also, his "speed" was a bit overrated. There's been plenty of times when I saw him chased down by a DL or LB from behind.

Sure, you can blame the O-Line to some extent but Hurd just wasn't that great as we would thought he'd turn out to be. His quitter mentality topped it off.

Lol.

Kelly is a smaller version of Jay Graham. Runs hard between the tackles and is good on straight line runs but like Graham, not a lot of wiggle to make tacklers miss. A comparison to Graham should be considered a compliment.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hck1u0xMnMw[/youtube]
Graham was faster than a wet fart. His had sprinter straight line speed.

Reactions: 4 people
Graham was a sprinter. It ran in his family. I think his sister ran in the Olympics.

I was at that game in Birmingham. As he crossed the goal line, the Bammers were already streaming out of Legion Field. Great ending to a great game. Vols kicked 2 more FGs after that but that run ended the game.

Last edited:

But Graham was blazing fast.

VN Store

Back