2017 Vols will have the #1 or #2 ranked DEFENSE in the SEC

Dobbs 4 Heisman

The more I look at the talent we have on that side of the ball, the more I like it. On offense I still have concerns about the offensive line and at wide receiver. However, on defense I have zero concerns when it comes to talent or depth. Last year was a fluke for Bob Shoop. Injuries played a large factor and guys like Willie Martinez were trying to undercut his authority. This year I expect to see him look like the elite defensive coordinator he looked like at Penn State and Vanderbilt. Expect the defensive line to be among the best in the nation. Jonathan Kongbo and Darrell Taylor are NFL caliber athletes. Kendal Vickers is a starting caliber NFL DT and Kahlil McKenzie is as talented a one technique as there is. Look out for Justin Martin and Emmanuel Moseley to have huge seasons as well this year. I think both will be All-SEC caliber CBs and NFL draft picks. Also look out for Nigel Warrior and Daniel Bituli to turn into superstars. They might be the two most physically gifted athletes on our defense. I think both will have breakout seasons as sophomores. And finally, expect to see Darrin Kirkland Jr. take on the mantle as the undisputed leader of the defense. He's got a good chance at being a First Team All-American. Overall, the defense will be top 10 nationally and rank first or second (to Alabama) in the SEC.

Just look at the talent and experience we have across the board:

SDE - Jonathan Kongbo (R-Jr.) / Kyle Phillips (Jr.) / Matthew Butler (Fr.)
DT - Kendal Vickers (R-Sr.) / Shy Tuttle (Jr.) / Quay Picou (Jr.)
DT - Kahlil McKenzie (Jr.) / Alexis Johnson (R-Jr.)
WDE - Darrell Taylor (R-So.) / Deandre Johnson (Fr.)

WLB - Darrin Kirkland Jr. (Jr.) / Quart'e Sapp (R-So.) / Cortez McDowell (Sr.)
MLB - Daniel Bituli (So.) / Colton Jumper (Sr.)
SLB - Austin Smith (R-So.) / Dillon Bates (R-Jr.)

CB - Justin Martin (Sr.) / Baylen Buchanan (So.)
CB - Emmanuel Moseley (Sr.) / Cheyenne Labruzza (Fr.)
NB- Rashaan Gaulden (R-Jr.) / Marquill Osborne (So.)
FS - Micah Abernathy (Jr.) / Evan Berry (Sr.)
SS - Nigel Warrior (So.) / Todd Kelly Jr. (Sr.)

The media will look really stupid in December when we are in Atlanta in large part because of a defense that they felt did not have a single player worthy of being voted onto any of the preseason All-SEC defensive teams.

Reactions: 34 people
Nice work D4H. Projection duly noted and accepted. And impressive doing it without Wiggins in the mix too.

Looks like you're mellowing a bit. Allowing for the possibility of being #2.

Reactions: 4 people
The more I look at the talent we have on that side of the ball, the more I like it. On offense I still have concerns about the offensive line and at wide receiver. However, on defense I have zero concerns when it comes to talent or depth. Last year was a fluke for Bob Shoop. Injuries played a large factor and guys like Willie Martinez were trying to undercut his authority. This year I expect to see him look like the elite defensive coordinator he looked like at Penn State and Vanderbilt. Expect the defensive line to be among the best in the nation. Jonathan Kongbo and Darrell Taylor are NFL caliber athletes. Kendal Vickers is a starting caliber NFL DT and Kahlil McKenzie is as talented a one technique as there is. Look out for Justin Martin and Emmanuel Moseley to have huge seasons as well this year. I think both will be All-SEC caliber CBs and NFL draft picks. Also look out for Nigel Warrior and Daniel Bituli to turn into superstars. They might be the two most physically gifted athletes on our defense. I think both will have breakout seasons as sophomores. And finally, expect to see Darrin Kirkland Jr. take on the mantle as the undisputed leader of the defense. He's got a good chance at being a First Team All-American. Overall, the defense will be top 10 nationally and rank first or second (to Alabama) in the SEC.

Just look at the talent and experience we have across the board:

SDE - Jonathan Kongbo (R-Jr.) / Kyle Phillips (Jr.) / Matthew Butler (Fr.)
DT - Kendal Vickers (R-Sr.) / Shy Tuttle (Jr.) / Quay Picou (Jr.)
DT - Kahlil McKenzie (Jr.) / Alexis Johnson (R-Jr.)
WDE - Darrell Taylor (R-So.) / Deandre Johnson (Fr.)

WLB - Darrin Kirkland Jr. (Jr.) / Quart'e Sapp (R-So.) / Cortez McDowell (Sr.)
MLB - Daniel Bituli (So.) / Colton Jumper (Sr.)
SLB - Austin Smith (R-So.) / Dillon Bates (R-Jr.)

CB - Justin Martin (Sr.) / Baylen Buchanan (So.)
CB - Emmanuel Moseley (Sr.) / Cheyenne Labruzza (Fr.)
NB- Rashaan Gaulden (R-Jr.) / Marquill Osborne (So.)
FS - Micah Abernathy (Jr.) / Evan Berry (Sr.)
SS - Nigel Warrior (So.) / Todd Kelly Jr. (Sr.)

The media will look really stupid in December when we are in Atlanta in large part because of a defense that they felt did not have a single player worthy of being voted onto any of the preseason All-SEC defensive teams.

I "liked" what you are saying. Just have a hard time believing it.

Reactions: 5 people
Left out Shaq Wiggins. Who will start and be a shut down corner. I believe we will be improved on d but not sure we will be 1st or 2nd on d. I sure hope so!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I tend to agree with D4H on this.

3 years ago, who would have believed that Tuttle, Big Mac, Vickers, Phillips, Kirkland, etc., none would even be 3rd team All SEC by media voters. WOW.

In my thinking, we have several who will make 1st or 2nd team All SEC this year.

Reactions: 2 people
No it's cool guys, all this means is we can look forward to another post where he trashes the team then acts like he was kidding, and later a crap ton of excuses when's he wrong from the guy that doesn't make excuses.

Reactions: 8 people
If you can't be at least a little positive this early in the year, when are you going to be positive? Obviously I hope the OP is right. The Vols really do have a lot of talent and experience on defense. And maybe this year we won't have such an incredible number of devastating injuries. (Geez, just by the law of averages we shouldn't get hit so hard this season!)
So - sure. Hope for the best and maybe it will happen. Go Vols.

Reactions: 4 people
So what you're saying is that our whole defense will be All-SEC?

Not the whole defense. We'll probably have 5-6 guys make the 1st and 2nd team. If I had to guess, I would go with Darrin Kirkland Jr., Kendal Vickers, Justin Martin, Emmanuel Moseley, Daniel Bituli, and Nigel Warrior.

Reactions: 1 person
You apparently don't get out much.

When your room is filled with 50-60 LCDs playing non-stop film, staying on the phone with coaches and scouts as much as Trump does on a daily basis. Then only the torrid travel schedule to watch games, interview talent, and coaches, is about the only time the man gets out.
So yeah. It's called ScoutLife. :eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people
Our D will be improved this year but Bama, UGA, UF, and LSU all have the potential to have better defenses than us this year, and those are just the SEC teams on our schedule.

Not the whole defense. We'll probably have 5-6 guys make the 1st and 2nd team. If I had to guess, I would go with Darrin Kirkland Jr., Kendal Vickers, Justin Martin, Emmanuel Moseley, Daniel Bituli, and Nigel Warrior.

The SEC media just came out with their list for All-SEC Defense, first, second, and third team. 0 is a lonely number.

DEFENSE

First-Team

DL Da'Ron Payne, Alabama (196)

DL Da'Shawn Hand, Alabama (180)

DL Trenton Thompson, Georgia (172)

DL Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss (159)

LB Arden Key, LSU (191)

LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama (180)

LB Roquan Smith, Georgia (157)

DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama (232)

DB Ronnie Harrison, Alabama (156)

DB Armani Watts, Texas A&M (137)

DB Duke Dawson, Florida (137)

Second-Team

DL Cece Jefferson, Florida (151)

DL Marlon Davidson, Auburn (120)

DL Christian LaCouture, LSU (107)

DL Denzil Ware, Kentucky (78)

LB Shaun Dion Hamilton, Alabama (156)

LB Skai Moore, South Carolina (128)

LB Tre' Williams, Auburn (103)

DB Tray Matthews, Auburn (126)

DB Donte Jackson, LSU (123)

DB Carlton Davis, Auburn (109)

DB Dominick Sanders, Georgia (109)

Third-Team

DL Marcell Frazier, Missouri (77)

DL Jabari Zuniga, Florida (76)

DL Dontavius Russell, Auburn (70)

DL Rashard Lawrence, LSU (54)

LB Jordan Jones, Kentucky (91)

LB Lorenzo Carter, Georgia (82)

LB Oren Burks, Vanderbilt (58)

DB Anthony Averett, Alabama (104)

DB Marcell Harris, Florida (83)

DB Mike Edwards, Kentucky (71)

DB Tony Brown, Alabama (62)

Realizing that they simply don't have the gift to see what you see, they will, of course, be making the call.

Reactions: 5 people
The SEC media just came out with their list for All-SEC Defense, first, second, and third team. 0 is a lonely number.

DEFENSE

First-Team

DL Da'Ron Payne, Alabama (196)

DL Da'Shawn Hand, Alabama (180)

DL Trenton Thompson, Georgia (172)

DL Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss (159)

LB Arden Key, LSU (191)

LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama (180)

LB Roquan Smith, Georgia (157)

DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama (232)

DB Ronnie Harrison, Alabama (156)

DB Armani Watts, Texas A&M (137)

DB Duke Dawson, Florida (137)

Second-Team

DL Cece Jefferson, Florida (151)

DL Marlon Davidson, Auburn (120)

DL Christian LaCouture, LSU (107)

DL Denzil Ware, Kentucky (78)

LB Shaun Dion Hamilton, Alabama (156)

LB Skai Moore, South Carolina (128)

LB Tre' Williams, Auburn (103)

DB Tray Matthews, Auburn (126)

DB Donte Jackson, LSU (123)

DB Carlton Davis, Auburn (109)

DB Dominick Sanders, Georgia (109)

Third-Team

DL Marcell Frazier, Missouri (77)

DL Jabari Zuniga, Florida (76)

DL Dontavius Russell, Auburn (70)

DL Rashard Lawrence, LSU (54)

LB Jordan Jones, Kentucky (91)

LB Lorenzo Carter, Georgia (82)

LB Oren Burks, Vanderbilt (58)

DB Anthony Averett, Alabama (104)

DB Marcell Harris, Florida (83)

DB Mike Edwards, Kentucky (71)

DB Tony Brown, Alabama (62)

Realizing that they simply don't have the gift to see what you see, they will, of course, be making the call.

Has your family ever reported you missing?

Reactions: 6 people
I said in another thread that this D is going to surprise some people. Warrior will bring smiles to our faces. Depth at DE is a worry but Kongbo, Taylor and a healthy Phillips will be stout. I like enforcers at MLB and Bituli has a chance to be one. I love Kirkland, but he seems like an OLB to me - much like JRM was. We need K mac and Tuttle to stay healthy, as well.

VN Store

Back