Checkerboard Neyland Towels

Issue towels for Checkerboard Neyland?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VFLinFL

Tennessee In The 850
I apologize ahead of time if someone has already mentioned this idea. On the other hand if nobody has mentioned this idea what does everyone think about issuing orange and white towels to everyone in Checkerboard Neyland?

We aren't the Steelers and don't need anymore gimmicks

The fans show up and do their duty. We just really want to be entertained with the team winning meaningful games..........

Reactions: 10 people
It's not just a Steelers gimmick anymore. The Nashville Predators give out towels at their home games. I think it's a pretty good idea. At the least, you can use it to dry off after the person behind you spills his drink.

Reactions: 11 people
We aren't the Steelers and don't need anymore gimmicks

The fans show up and do their duty. We just really want to be entertained with the team winning meaningful games..........

I don't get this mentality. This is about the university proving something to enhance the fan experience for something that the fans have started and made legit. This requires zero effort on the fans end and would be provided by the university. Not only would it look cool but it'd be fun to have a souvenir from the game, hopefully including the memory of a VOLS W.

Reactions: 9 people
I apologize ahead of time if someone has already mentioned this idea. On the other hand if nobody has mentioned this idea what does everyone think about issuing orange and white towels to everyone in Checkerboard Neyland?

Let's do it! I'm all for this or anything to get Neyland rocking! Big hits, TD's and Defense of course can do that as well.

Reactions: 2 people
I like the idea, and since Vandy comes to Neyland this year. We can give the towels to them to wipe their tears when they realize they really aren't a "rival".

I like things like that especially if it's got a date on it. Gives me something to keep and remember back to the days when the negas were hatin on Butch.

Reactions: 1 person
No. No more gimmicks. No towels, rappers, colored uniforms, pom poms, cheerleaders, band, wave, 3rd dn 4 what, or even fans or TV for that matter. Just win. I can read about it in the newspaper on Sunday.

Reactions: 3 people
No. No more gimmicks. No towels, rappers, colored uniforms, pom poms, cheerleaders, band, wave, 3rd dn 4 what, or even fans or TV for that matter. Just win. I can read about it in the newspaper on Sunday.

If we do away with fans that's goes for you too. No more reading about it in the paper.

Reactions: 3 people
I am sure I am in the big minority here but I am not a fan of the checker boarding, whiting out or whatever other gimmick of the week. It seems when we do that all the talk is about the gimmick and not the game. The game should be about the team. I am more interested in what it looks like on the turf than in the stand. It just reeks of doing something cool. I tell you what I think would be cool. It is 3rd and 2 late in the GA game and everyone knows we are going to run it up the gut and our team has an attitude of stop me if you can. I get a much bigger charge out of that than worrying about what shirt to wear to the game.

I am sure I am in the big minority here but I am not a fan of the checker boarding, whiting out or whatever other gimmick of the week. It seems when we do that all the talk is about the gimmick and not the game. The game should be about the team. I am more interested in what it looks like on the turf than in the stand. It just reeks of doing something cool. I tell you what I think would be cool. It is 3rd and 2 late in the GA game and everyone knows we are going to run it up the gut and our team has an attitude of stop me if you can. I get a much bigger charge out of that than worrying about what shirt to wear to the game.

After all the effort the players put into a game and you say it's too much of a hassle to wear either a white or an orange shirt just to look cool.

Sure the only reason to do it is to look cool. It does look super cool. There are plenty that dont bother with it and it still looks great.

It all started ith OK stripping their stadium. That looked cool as well, but that Checkerboard really pops. So easy to do and looks so amazing.

Not to discourage the most passionate fans in the world from posting creative ideas for honest critique, but...

Problem 1 to consider: From any distance and on TV, checkered towels will look peachy-pink. "Goooo Big Peach!"

Problem 2 to consider: Impossible to wave a towel without obscuring the view of people behind you. Let's not discourage ticket sales, especially as TV coverage keeps improving.

If we're going to bring something extra to the stadium to enhance home field advantage, my vote is for something that makes NOISE. Tactically-appropriated noise effects play on the field. Visual things... not so much. If waving towels behind a clear basketball goal doesn't effect free throw shooting, it's doubtful they will effect much on the field.

But I grant you, they would add something to "the pageantry that is college football." They'd also be good for dobbing sweat in those Sept-Oct games on the sunny side of Neyland.

Not to discourage the most passionate fans in the world from posting creative ideas for honest critique, but...

Problem 1 to consider: From any distance and on TV, checkered towels will look peachy-pink. "Goooo Big Peach!"

Problem 2 to consider: Impossible to wave a towel without obscuring the view of people behind you. Let's not discourage ticket sales, especially as TV coverage keeps improving.

If we're going to bring something extra to the stadium to enhance home field advantage, my vote is for something that makes NOISE. Tactically-appropriated noise effects play on the field. Visual things... not so much. If waving towels behind a clear basketball goal doesn't effect free throw shooting, it's doubtful they will effect much on the field.

But I grant you, they would add something to "the pageantry that is college football." They'd also be good for dobbing sweat in those Sept-Oct games on the sunny side of Neyland.

I've got an invention to help with crowd noise but it's stuck in the development phase.

Even though I'm against the towels as "merely visual and ineffective" I think checkerboarding the stadium once or twice a season has a definite, positive impact on our recruiting. Not much we average fans are allowed to do for our team in that area.

The checkerboarding is very impressive and presents one more thing to separate us from the schools we recruit against.

Now if Bama ever one-ups us and houndstooths Bryant-Denny... ... Sorry! :eek:lol: Had to laugh even thinking about it! Only way they'd ever achieve that would be to plan for a Crimson/White checkerboard, and then allow only every 6th person to show up drunk. By the second quarter, you'd have your staggered houndstooth.

:eek:lol: (...just saying "bama" and "tooth" makes me laugh!)

I got one at Willams-Brice last year....now I keep it in the car as a backup spit up rag for my baby.

As the negas wow. I'm all about tradition but check neyland is awesome. It makes neyland that much better. All traditions have a starting point. And o....it helps recruiting experience!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I don't get this mentality. This is about the university proving something to enhance the fan experience for something that the fans have started and made legit. This requires zero effort on the fans end and would be provided by the university. Not only would it look cool but it'd be fun to have a souvenir from the game, hopefully including the memory of a VOLS W.

Had Steelers fans not already done it, put a copywrite on it, and become world famous for it? It might be a good idea. The general idea is to come up with something original that nobody has done before. Google search the terrible towel. You will learn Dolphins fans later tried naming their rally towels the horrible hanky. You don't see them anymore because they were just ripping off a Pittsburgh idea.

If you put on your thinking cap and come up with something new and cool that Tennessee fans can call their own? Kinda like the Vol Navy being unique to Tennessee? If it's really good, some folks here might make you famous. If you do a copycat, nobody cares, and they have to hire a crew of extra guys to clean them up out of the stadium.

VN Store

Back