The media praises new and improved Butch Jones

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
As we all know, the media often bashes Butch for his cliches and coachspeak (not saying it's undeserved at times). I think it's worth pointing out the overwhelmingly positive reviews he received from his appearances at SEC Media Day this afternoon.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0ajAVqSF8[/youtube]

Dari Nowkhah: "I thought what we just saw from him was the best media moments we've seen in five years from Butch Jones. I thought he was fantastic."

Booger
: "I thought he was outstanding."

Greg McElroy: "I think he handled everything today beautifully. He showed humanity, he showed humility, and he also showed a great understanding of the progress that needed to be made."

Booger:
"What's the biggest criticism of Butch Jones? Always got slogans. You didn't hear that. All you heard was a coach who talked about the process, talked about what he needed to get done and how he was going to do it. That's the Butch Jones we've been dying to hear for the last two or three years. Today we finally heard it."

Dari: "And he was personable! That's the other thing we needed to see." (Booger in the background: "YES! YES!")

Jordan Rodgers: "The thing I love is that I think you're starting to see a transition in him realizing you can't continue to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result and that's obvious in his coaching hires: bringing Brady Hoke on, talking about Fulmer. He's looking for people to invest in this program and teach him how to do it a different way, or see it just slightly different than he does and that's going to create progress and I think they are moving in the right direction, at least within that locker room."

Reactions: 54 people
CBJ embraced all things Tennessee the day he was named HC. His willingness to listen to input from our former players and coaches affirms a desire to return Tennessee to it's traditional place in CFB. Well that sounds good but it's all about wining and the teams you lose to in the end.

Reactions: 4 people
I'd have to give Butch an A+ performance at the podium. Maybe they're right, he's taking the next step. That's a very good thing.

Reactions: 3 people
Hopefully Butch just lets his new assistants do their job instead of trying to take control of everything. I think his main problem last season was overthinking everything and trying to coach not to lose.

Hopefully he's changed for the good.

Butch did a great job today. He really scaled back on the catchphrases and coachspeak and came across very well. It was refreshing to see the heads give him props for his efforts.

Reactions: 2 people
This is just my impression, but...

As long as Butch thought him taking the heat was keeping pressure off his players, I think he counted it a good tradeoff. Coachspeak or cliche, what he was saying to the media was what he believes and teaches his players (who've never seemed to have any doubts about the truth, sincerity, or efficacy of those words). I wonder if, for Butch, those truisms were also his way of using the press/media to sell the program to recruits and families?

But once Butch realized (or was convinced) that criticisms of him were casting a shadow over the program he's been successfully building, I'm guessing he did like a smart player: went to the videotape, talked to people for advice, hired some PR coaches, worked at it, and took the results on the field today. (I wonder if Fulmer told Butch, "You know, I caught the same hell for work like heck--even though that's exactly what we did and wanted our players to learn.")

I'd still expect Butch to revert during the course of the season or the heat of battle. At his level, there's more hell to pay for saying the wrong thing than just saying banal things.

I'm much happier having Butch as our coach than some Lou Holtz/Steve Spurrier quote machine. As long as opposing coaches respect our coach, I don't care what the media thinks of him.

Reactions: 10 people
A+????? You have to be joking!!!!

Just my opinion. I was being generous, considering I'm not his biggest fan. The guy handled himself well, and it seems he's turned the corner with regards to the stupid slogans and other trappings that once was Butch Jones. Truth is, time will tell...

Reactions: 5 people
Y'all are nuts. He just repeats firstandforemost..9wins...consecutivebowls...blahblahindividualblahblahButchJones garbage. He even tried saying South Carolina and Vandy were good teams. How is any of that any different than what he's always done.

as someone that's never been shy about criticizing CBJ when in front of a mic, and while i'll also concede that nothing said today translates in to a single W come fall.....i thought he was as good as he's ever been in front of an audience taking questions.

seemed genuine, while also staying true to himself. he didn't placate anyone, but he was as honest as he probably could be. he acknowledged several things that i didn't think he was capable of, one important one being the ability to not only take feedback, but demand it, from the other coaches.

i thought he was genuine in discussing the expectations of the program and of the fans, while also still acknowledging the progress that's been made.

maybe best off all, he avoided any/all wtf moments that could have generated a social media firestorm....

good day for cbj.

Y'all are nuts. He just repeats firstandforemost..9wins...consecutivebowls...blahblahindividualblahblahButchJones garbage. He even tried saying South Carolina and Vandy were good teams. How is any of that any different than what he's always done.

Be sure to drink lots of water, easy to become dehydrated with all that saltiness.

Reactions: 12 people

sounds like you quit listening after the first minute

VN Store

Back