Booger McFarland predicts UT season: "Abysmal"

VoLunTiTan7

Booger went on a Nashville radio show this morning and predicted that the upcoming season for CBJ and Tennessee Vols football will be "abysmal."

https://soundcloud.com/espnnashville/booger-mcfarland-on-braden-fitz-7-10-17

That is a pretty strong word to use and Booger thinks it is because we lost a lot of talent, we are breaking in a new QB and other teams in the SEC are more talented. He also is obviously not a big believer in CBJ. I don't think the season will be "abysmal", but CBJ has to get a few wins out of the BAMA, LSU, FL and GA gauntlet and absolutely cannot have a Vandy/SC/KY "slip up" this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
hes never right though. Been on there 3-4 years now and hes been one of the worst at predicting anything. He couldnt name 10 players on our team id bet.

Reactions: 23 people
Booger jumped on the Butch train early. He predicted UT to win the East 2 years ago then watched the chokes. I believe he was firmly in Jones' camp last year and got burned.

You can't blame the guy for being a skeptic. I don't know who specifically he thinks is more talented or who he thinks UT will lose to for it to be an "abysmal season". But his doubts are warranted.

PS- if he's bought into the UK hype or believes that both UGA and UF do not have major holes to fill or believes that LSU is certain to improve... then he's probably going to be embarrassed with at least a couple of those predictions.

Reactions: 16 people
Booger went on a Nashville radio show this morning and predicted that the upcoming season for CBJ and the Tennessee Vols football will be "abysmal."

https://soundcloud.com/espnnashville/booger-mcfarland-on-braden-fitz-7-10-17

That is a pretty strong word to use and Booger thinks it is because we lost a lot of talent, we are breaking in a new QB and other teams in the SEC are more talented. He also is obviously not a big believer in CBJ. I don't think the season will be "abysmal", but CBJ has to get a few wins out of the BAMA, LSU, FL and GA gauntlet and absolutely cannot have a Vandy/SC/KY "slip up" this season.

Booger was a huge Vols supporter last season (until late October) and the season before. Over-the-top positive.
Now his pendulum has swung way over to the other side, and he's being over-the-top negative. He just doesn't have a sense of balance or nuance.

As for your "has to" list, you know that what you just described is an 11-1 season, right? ("a few wins" out of our 4 toughest games, and not losing any other games as "slip ups")?

That would not only be un-abysmal, it would be hella incredible great.

Reactions: 4 people
Booger only likes to say things to get a fanbase fired up. If it was not for his hot takes he would not have a career. Like already mentioned, the dude is almost never right about anything.

Reactions: 5 people
Booger jumped on the Butch train early. He predicted UT to win the East 2 years ago then watched the chokes. I believe he was firmly in Jones' camp last year and got burned.

You can't blame the guy for being a skeptic. I don't know who specifically he thinks is more talented or who he thinks UT will lose to for it to be an "abysmal season". But his doubts are warranted.

PS- if he's bought into the UK hype or believes that both UGA and UF do not have major holes to fill or believes that LSU is certain to improve... then he's probably going to be embarrassed with at least a couple of those predictions.

that last part is dead on. We have scored about 170 on UK the last 3 years and now somehow we are behind them without playing another game at all against anyone. Stoops, for a defensive guru has not fielded a Defense yet. And UGA loses 5 games, with the same roster as they have now, and now 7 months later they are labeled " sec contenders". Plus their HC looks as bad on gamedays as Butch has looked. haha like what is all this hype? i dont get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I don't see "abysmal" happening.

Mediocre to disappointing wouldn't be shocking.

I prefer to look at this season as the one where I have so-so expectations and turn out pleasantly surprised.

I hope. :crossfingers:

Reactions: 6 people
I think he'd be lucky to name more than Kelly, Kongbo and JJ

youre prob right. he might give you tuttle and mckenzie. but i dont think he could give you much else. These guys dont know anything. They always ride the wave and go with the basic perception and it never works out that way. Bc then it would be too easy. Truth is, they are saying this bc they dont know anything about our team right now.

youre prob right. he might give you tuttle and mckenzie. but i dont think he could give you much else. These guys dont know anything. They always ride the wave and go with the basic perception and it never works out that way. Bc then it would be too easy. Truth is, they are saying this bc they dont know anything about our team right now.

Exactly. They could be right. But imo, we are far too talented for an abysmal season. If we get good QB play this team can be good

Reactions: 7 people
Neither could anyone else outside of a TN fan. You made his point, although unintended.

Just because they don't know them, doesn't mean they aren't talented. So I didn't make his point. People don't know Dormady or JG, that doesn't mean hat they aren't good and that the team will be abysmal

Reactions: 8 people
Neither could anyone else outside of a TN fan. You made his point, although unintended.

which is fine. But to say a team will be abysmal just bc you literally dont know anything about them is ignorant. The team is still talented. Stuff like that usually always comes back to make a person look like a clown.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Booger is good people. He's had our back on SECN plenty of times. He probably talks to people who actually study these things before spouting off. If he's right we get a new coach. If he's wrong maybe we win the East finally. I'm good either way.

Booger is the guy that bought in at $100 and is selling at $30. Of course you are selling late and making the "easy" call. Then again, the stock could also be a zero, in which case you are right to sell at $30 even though it was at $100 last year.

He is right that this season could be abysmal. It isn't an unreasonable thing, especially for someone who isn't a fan of the team, to think. There are question marks at multiple positions and we'll likely be underdogs in 4 games. If we lose the 4 games we are underdogs in and also drop a couple more competitive games, that's only 6 wins. You don't have to stretch to get there. I think most people would consider that result abysmal with a high probability of it resulting in Butch's firing.

Booger is good people. He's had our back on SECN plenty of times. He probably talks to people who actually study these things before spouting off. If he's right we get a new coach. If he's wrong maybe we win the East finally. I'm good either way.

its usually somewhere in the middle. The team will be sneaky good i believe. But they wont be abysmal.

VN Store

Back