From blueshirt to backbone, Robertson ready to lead Vols' OL

kamoshika

tennessee-volunteers-offensive-lineman-jashon-robertson-offensive-picture-id671957074

“To this day, wrestling is what helped get (me here). That’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Being out there, 1-on-1. Ain’t no excuses. If somebody puts you on your back, that’s on you. It’s an embarrassing feeling when you’re looking at the lights on the ceiling. (The offensive line) it’s just 1-on-1 matchups across the board. Just as a unit in general, every offensive lineman around the country will tell you, ‘Don’t nobody care if you’re banged up. Don’t nobody care if there’s a miscommunication. Get it figured out. Get the job done. You’re there for a reason. Get it done.’ That’s how wrestling really was, too. I don’t care if the mat was slippery or if you had this or that. Man, it’s on you. Don’t get put on your back.”

...Robertson has battled a variety of injuries the last three years, but this offseason, he’s changed his diet (eliminating red meat and pork) and improved his flexibility. He’s always been a weight room alpha dog, but he feels Gullickson has taken him to a new level.

His “blueshirt” is simply a footnote in his history now, and he’s primed to be the backbone on the most important unit on Tennessee’s team in 2017. “I’m at Tennessee. So-and-so is also at Tennessee. We’re both on scholarship. I’m not here for no reason. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t have some ability to play on this level. Any true competitor, any dog should have that mindset,” he said. “I feel really good with my body right now. I’m ready to go."

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/from-blueshirt-to-backbone-robertson-ready-to-lead-vols-ol

Reactions: 14 people
His smile may say "I like to play guitar at the park." but his game says "I like to hold baby ducks under water for fun and relaxation."

Jayshon plays like the D slapped his mamma and stole his biscuits. We are going to have one big nasty O-Line in 2017.

GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
I still can't get over how big and stacked Trey Smith is. He looks like he should be heading into his rookie season in the NFL, not a True Freaking Freshmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
I still can't get over how big and stacked Trey Smith is. He looks like he should be heading into his rookie season in the NFL, not a True Freaking Freshmen.

Yes, he is a truly amazing physical specimen at any age. But then considering he is only 17 or 18. Good grief.

The haircut is perfect on him. It says, "squared away".

Reactions: 7 people
... and Trey will only get bigger, better, and tougher.. Good grief cant wait to see this kid line up against a Bammer defender.,

Reactions: 4 people

He looks like Tyron Smith, except Smith was only 260 his Freshman year. Trey is already 300. This kid has to be a stud. He just has to be.

Reactions: 3 people
Need him to have a great senior season...sounds like he's ready to do just that.

Reactions: 1 person
Trey Smith already has the physical aspect of a 1st Round Draft Pick. If he lives up to the hype this season, look out.

Reactions: 2 people
Trey and Tatum look like future Peyton Manning's with a snow plow attachment!

I exaggerate a bit. But after seeing pics of Trey, Tatum Robertson and Jack Jones, I'm starting to get a real good vibe about this OL. Drew Richmond seemed like he was picking up the game really good the last half of the season too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I'm not saying Tennessee is going to be s that and I wouldn't really start a thread for this subject but when was the last "can't miss" prospect before Trey Smith at Tennessee? I'm telling you I'm looking at him and I'm thinking someone has made a mistake because he can't be a freshman! No way! So who was the last Tennessee player/prospect with his upside? And we get him for three years!!!

His smile may say "I like to play guitar at the park." but his game says "I like to hold baby ducks under water for fun and relaxation."

Jayshon plays like the D slapped his mamma and stole his biscuits. We are going to have one big nasty O-Line in 2017.

GBO

Pump the brakes. I like Jashon, but go back and look at his performance against Appy State last year. It was bad. That being said, he obviously has talent and a new S&C coach and OL coach could work wonders for him.

Jashon has had some good games but he's also gotten whipped in pass protection, especially late in games. That said, he's progressively gotten better each season and I hope to see that continue.

Pump the brakes. I like Jashon, but go back and look at his performance against Appy State last year. It was bad. That being said, he obviously has talent and a new S&C coach and OL coach could work wonders for him.

The whole unit looked terrible that week. Probably Jashon's worst game of his career, but Wiesman, Coleman, and Richmond all looked pretty rough as well at times.

I'm not saying Tennessee is going to be s that and I wouldn't really start a thread for this subject but when was the last "can't miss" prospect before Trey Smith at Tennessee? I'm telling you I'm looking at him and I'm thinking someone has made a mistake because he can't be a freshman! No way! So who was the last Tennessee player/prospect with his upside? And we get him for three years!!!

Eric Berry is the first to come to my mind. I had high expectations for him & he exceeded them! GBO

He has the look of an All Pro at 18. We better enjoy him while we got him in Knoxville.

Absolutely agree. I can't wait to watch him. If Dormady is our qb as a pocket passer (I know he can run), I think he'll have more time to throw than some think.

GBO

I remember the day I heard he had showed up on campus to just visit the middle Tennessee EEs, and ended up flipping. Couldn't figure out how they would fit him into the DL rotation, since we had Sawyers and Mosley. This was one of the position changes that worked, and ended up being one of the most dependable members of his recruiting class.

The whole line was out of sync that night. I hardly noticed any problems with Jashon, because Coleman Thomas looked worse. When your center jumps offsides, it all looks bad.

What we didn't know was Thomas was playing hurt in Game 1. Not hurt in the game, he walked into the stadium hurting. All due to the players wanting the change at S&C.

I am all for players leading, and taking ownership of a program, but you don't let 18 to 21 year olds make staffing decisions. A prison doesn't allow inmates to run it, privates don't give orders, and you don't let lunatics run the asylum.

tennessee-volunteers-offensive-lineman-jashon-robertson-offensive-picture-id671957074

“To this day, wrestling is what helped get (me here). That’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Being out there, 1-on-1. Ain’t no excuses. If somebody puts you on your back, that’s on you. It’s an embarrassing feeling when you’re looking at the lights on the ceiling. (The offensive line) it’s just 1-on-1 matchups across the board. Just as a unit in general, every offensive lineman around the country will tell you, ‘Don’t nobody care if you’re banged up. Don’t nobody care if there’s a miscommunication. Get it figured out. Get the job done. You’re there for a reason. Get it done.’ That’s how wrestling really was, too. I don’t care if the mat was slippery or if you had this or that. Man, it’s on you. Don’t get put on your back.”

...Robertson has battled a variety of injuries the last three years, but this offseason, he’s changed his diet (eliminating red meat and pork) and improved his flexibility. He’s always been a weight room alpha dog, but he feels Gullickson has taken him to a new level.

His “blueshirt” is simply a footnote in his history now, and he’s primed to be the backbone on the most important unit on Tennessee’s team in 2017. “I’m at Tennessee. So-and-so is also at Tennessee. We’re both on scholarship. I’m not here for no reason. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t have some ability to play on this level. Any true competitor, any dog should have that mindset,” he said. “I feel really good with my body right now. I’m ready to go."

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/from-blueshirt-to-backbone-robertson-ready-to-lead-vols-ol

Changed his diet? No red meat, ect. Seems like we had a "veggie" guy a few years ago. Didn't work out too well for him as I remember.

I remember the day I heard he had showed up on campus to just visit the middle Tennessee EEs, and ended up flipping. Couldn't figure out how they would fit him into the DL rotation, since we had Sawyers and Mosley. This was one of the position changes that worked, and ended up being one of the most dependable members of his recruiting class.

By the way, any news about Big Charles Mosley??

VN Store

Back