John Currie letter and new hire for Tennessee Fund

JacketVol

Go Vols!
Just wondering what you guys think. Do you think with a new hire Kurt Gulbrand who will be in charge of fundraising as a focus and the Tennessee fund, they will be making any changes to how donations are handled? I know it is not suppose to go up once you are locked in, but I am not 100% convinced they will honor it. Think Terrace level being built and how some ticket holders in that area were treated under Mike Hamilton. What are your thoughts VN?

I understand that. I am just more concerned if they do some kind of crazy revamp. Just curious what others thought. I do expect ticket prices to go up because that is normal. I think if they went up too much on regular seat donation, they would lose season ticket holders UNLESS they were winning like a Bama is now.

Looking at the seats available now I can't see them raising any donation prices except maybe the upper East Sideline. Once renovations start then I see changes.

if they just pick one area to raise donations wouldn't that be an injustice? Usually to keep from doing that "powers" usually try to spread it around...more PC that way...everyone shares the burden...jus' sayin'...:)

PS. don't really believe they're worried about losing season ticket holders of any section...and,

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Just wondering what you guys think. Do you think with a new hire Kurt Gulbrand who will be in charge of fundraising as a focus and the Tennessee fund, they will be making any changes to how donations are handled? I know it is not suppose to go up once you are locked in, but I am not 100% convinced they will honor it. Think Terrace level being built and how some ticket holders in that area were treated under Mike Hamilton. What are your thoughts VN?

Are you assuming the only thing a new fundraising guy will do is meddle with how much season ticket holders pay? My first thought was this guy is coming in to hopefully find alternative ways to raise funds like some form of corporate sponsors and video board ads on the concourses of the athletics venues. I am not saying they won't try to wring more out of your pocket, but they could have just as easily done that without a new hire. I would wait and see before you start a ponzi scheme to make up the difference.

TN...your first sentence says more than you may ever know...:), and, as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you assuming the only thing a new fundraising guy will do is meddle with how much season ticket holders pay? My first thought was this guy is coming in to hopefully find alternative ways to raise funds like some form of corporate sponsors and video board ads on the concourses of the athletics venues. I am not saying they won't try to wring more out of your pocket, but they could have just as easily done that without a new hire. I would wait and see before you start a ponzi scheme to make up the difference.

It was a question to one aspect of what his responsibilities actually would be but only in the FF could someone take a shot at another fan asking a simple question. The ponzi scheme comment is just strange. Do not really care what you think. I wasn't a ss uming anything but I know you are an as s uming kind of guy.

Just got email with offer to purchase up to 4 season tickets in South lower or upper with no donation this year only.

I think they'll look at all revenue streams and see where they can increase funding with the least number of fans impacted. They'll look at private gifts and corporate opportunities; if they can't meet their number that way, they'll squeeze high-end donors and it will trickle down. IMO, they'll try to add rather than take away-- and they'll be quiet about it.

John Currie has hired Kurt Gulbrand as his “Senior Associate AD.” or SAAD. (Appropriate name?) There’s a theme here — Gulbrand spent the last five years at Colorado primarily as a fund raiser. It’s widely believed that Currie landed the AD gig because of his ability to raise money, so this fits that narrative once again. Tennessee’s goal seems clear right now.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sports...cle_ce3f8886-1214-57ae-bdd2-291cd67611a8.html

Hopefully, IF CBJ doesnt work out, we can finally hire that big time coach we've wanted since Fulmer was fired.

Hopefully, IF CBJ doesnt work out, we can finally hire that big time coach we've wanted since Fulmer was fired.

Like who? There's only a handful of elite coaches in the NCAA and they're all at Bama, Michigan, Clemson, and Ohio St.

Please don't you dare say Gruden.

Like who? There's only a handful of elite coaches in the NCAA and they're all at Bama, Michigan, Clemson, and Ohio St.

Please don't you dare say Gruden.

And it's funny how that list changes every year or two.

Two years ago, Dabo Swinney would certainly not be on the list. Jimbo Fischer, on the other hand, would be.

Two years from now, when he still hasn't achieved anything, Jim Harbaugh might finally come off that list. Someone else will replace him. Only to fall of the list themselves a few years later.

Today, there are only two truly elite active college coaches: Saban and Meyer. Everyone else comes and goes.

John Currie has hired Kurt Gulbrand as his “Senior Associate AD.” or SAAD. (Appropriate name?) There’s a theme here — Gulbrand spent the last five years at Colorado primarily as a fund raiser. It’s widely believed that Currie landed the AD gig because of his ability to raise money, so this fits that narrative once again. Tennessee’s goal seems clear right now.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sports...cle_ce3f8886-1214-57ae-bdd2-291cd67611a8.html

What you see has to be only one aspect of the Tennessee goal. It's like the old saying; which comes first the chicken or the egg? Raising money is a must goal, winning games (all sports) is a must goal. One will not happen without the other. In order to do either one well, you need experts in both areas, expert money raisers and expert coaches. To have both doing the same job well requires a very special "jack of all trade".

And it's funny how that list changes every year or two.

Two years ago, Dabo Swinney would certainly not be on the list. Jimbo Fischer, on the other hand, would be.

Two years from now, when he still hasn't achieved anything, Jim Harbaugh might finally come off that list. Someone else will replace him. Only to fall of the list themselves a few years later.

Today, there are only two truly elite active college coaches: Saban and Meyer. Everyone else comes and goes.

I don't think Jimbo or Dabo are going anywhere anytime soon (list wise)

VN Store

Back