What if we beat Bama but are still mediocre 8-4?

MemphisVol77

Sunshine Dealer. Pure #FF8200, hit me up.
Going into last year I thought as long as we beat Florida and won 8/9 games I'd be happy. Then we lost to Vanderbilt.

Be careful what you wish for. ....

I think beating Bama but still losing the SEC East would be a terrible scenario in that it would buy Butch more time with allot of VolNation faithful and the UT administration yet further convince Butch's critics that he isn't the coach to get us over the hump.

I can't see us sneaking up on Bama under any circumstance because no one does. I think Saban would cut block his son to win a father-son flag football game.

However it's the off-season and I'm bored.

With all the uncertainties going into 2017 I could see us starting out 3-3 with losses to UF, G Tech, & UGA
(I don't think that will happen, but I could see it) & then whether it be from a QB improving or a QB change sparking us, our defense solidifying, or a multitude of other scenarios; finishing the year 5-1 for 8-4.

Would Butch have more security going into 2018 with an Alabama upset at 8-4 or would the (not without justifiable basis) frustration of having lost to inferior teams than some of the teams we beat firmly place Butch on the 2018 hot seat?

Finally I intentionally left the bowl game out of this scenario because I won't care if we're 8-4. I'm a former sunshine pumper, presently a hopeful cynic that ate his crow and washed it down with a jug of Vandy pi$s. I think even with an upset of Bama, at 8-4 Butch goes into 2018 with a get to Atlanta or pack a bag level of pressure.

Reactions: 1 person
If we beat Bama this year I will be arrested for

cfd105418501c0c2b8d6572c718be643.jpg

I actually think Shoop has our defense ready and we have a better year than expected. And while right now I think we have no shot at beating Bama, when October rolls around I will change my tune.

Reactions: 8 people
Going into last year I thought as long as we beat Florida and won 8/9 games I'd be happy. Then we lost to Vanderbilt.

Be careful what you wish for. ....

I think beating Bama but still losing the SEC East would be a terrible scenario in that it would buy Butch more time with allot of VolNation faithful and the UT administration yet further convince Butch's critics that he isn't the coach to get us over the hump.

I can't see us sneaking up on Bama under any circumstance because no one does. I think Saban would cut block his son to win a father-son flag football game.

However it's the off-season and I'm bored. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

With all the uncertainties going into 2017 I could see us starting out 3-3 with losses to UF, G Tech, & UGA
(I don't think that will happen, but I could see it) & then whether it be from a QB improving or a QB change sparking us, our defense solidifying, or a multitude of other scenarios; finishing the year 5-1 for 8-4.

Would Butch have more security going into 2018 with an Alabama upset at 8-4 or would the (not without justifiable basis) frustration of having lost to inferior teams than some of the teams we beat firmly place Butch on the 2018 hot seat?

Finally I intentionally left the bowl game out of this scenario because I won't care if we're 8-4. I'm a former sunshine pumper, presently a hopeful cynic that ate his crow and washed it down with a jug of Vandy pi$s. I think even with an upset of Bama, at 8-4 Butch goes into 2018 with a get to Atlanta or pack a bag level of pressure.

You are in Memphis and bored ? Go get some BBQ

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
We may not beat Bama this year, but if we do, creampuffs like Vandy and SC should not be anything to fret about.

Witch Doctor say if so, then the idiots that Bama has will be on their boards screaming "Fahr Saban" just like some did after this season. and ours will disappear until the next time we lose. Dumb fans are really predictable like that

BNL

Reactions: 3 people
Just do your job. Focus on Alabama and everything else will fall into place. Stop wetting your pants.

I'd be tickled with 8 wins this year especially if bama is one of them. Given the losses to graduation and a new staff, I think 7 wins is more likely the ceiling. Just make a bowl game.....and please don't let it be in memphis.

Reactions: 3 people
Breaking the streak against bama would do a lot for CBJ's job security. Can't lose to the scrub teams anymore. As important as bama, Fl,and Ga are, beating the scrubs is just as important.

No excuses for letting scrubs have a chance taking the field in the second half.

Figure it out Butch.

Reactions: 2 people
8-4 and beating Bama would be fine this season. Everyone is predicting 3th to 4th in the east. We essentially have a new coaching staff with a first time play caller and a QB that hasn't play 1 meaningful down. It wouldn't be a bad season imo.

We have a lot of should wins on our schedule this year, though. I think 8-4 with a Bama win would be the floor with what UT fans would be happy with. The east is still going to suck and the OOC schedule is weak.

1982 team isn't remembered for losing to Vandy. They're remembered for ending the steak vs Alabama and Paul Bear Bryant.

Reactions: 9 people
In the eyes of national media/recruits/non Tennessee fans, it would be a respectable win - but it would more an embarrassment for Alabama than an accomplishment for TN. I think some TN fans would be content with keeping Butch so long as he beats Bama (sadly), even if that meant going 8-4. Me personally? I dont know, it would depend entirely on how the losses came and who they came against. Theres no doubt that 2017 will have a tough start to the season just like in 13/14/15/16. If we beat Bama but lose to say, GTech, UGA, UF & LSU but they were close losses and none of the losses came with boneheaded coaching decisions (I'm looking at you and your "chart", Butch.) then it would be wise to retain him. Like it or not we still play one of the toughest schedules in the nation year in and year out, 8-4 with a win over Bama isn't great but it's respectable. Just leave it at that.

Reactions: 1 person
Our Defense will be top 10 in the country this year and if you've got that you can beat anyone. Add that to the fact that we will have a better QB (not playmaker, but QB ( and we will neat Alabama

I will be very happy if we beat BAMA. However, I would be VERY upset to be 3-3 after six games. We should not lose to both Florida and Georgia. Tennessee should beat GT as well. This team better win a minimum of 8 games this year or I will be ready for a new direction. I like what we seem to be recruiting this year but that would change if we win 7 or less.

I guess the scenario is theoretically possible. Brian Deboll could be a bust, and Saban has got to be getting close to running out of the equity he acquired when he sold his soul for CFB demigod status.

I guess the scenario is theoretically possible. Brian Deboll could be a bust, and Saban has got to be getting close to running out of the equity he acquired when he sold his soul for CFB demigod status.

Amen brother. I'll buy the 1st round.
Go Vols!

VN Store

Back