Tennessee QB Quinten Dormady: ‘can’t wait for the season to start’

UT Hill Man

I ♥ Big Jugs
“That’s what we live for,” said Dormady, who remains in competition with redshirt freshman Jarrett Guarantano for the starting job. “We train half the year for 12 or 13 opportunities — hopefully more than that — so obviously that’s what we look forward to, and I can’t wait for the season to start.”

It's exciting to know the players are hyped about the season and encouraging that we have two QB's who seem more than capable of stepping into the shoes of the departed Josh Dobbs.

Dormady took the lead in Tennessee’s quarterback derby in the spring with a 10-for-10, 120-yard, 2-TD performance in the Orange-and-White Game.

Guarantano, while very talented and more mobile than Dormady, has shown enough that coach Butch Jones has continued the competition and QB coach Mike Canales says Tennessee hasn’t ruled out a two-quarterback system.

Screen-Shot-2017-04-22-at-8.03.04-PM_fpidvz.png

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-quinten-dormady-2

Reactions: 9 people
There's saying if you have 2 QBs you don't have any. QD and JG prove that to be false. We have two "high quality" QBs.

12-13 chances and maybe more. QD is talking playoffs, if anybody missed that.

Reactions: 2 people
I like the fact they are different styles... QD more of a pocket type passer, and when we are on top of the blocking, he will do great. If we need to move the pocket or scramble, then JG will do great. I see no down sides to having either in the game as the situation dictates. A good coach will know when to mix it up at QB.

Reactions: 8 people
I like the fact they are different styles... QD more of a pocket type passer, and when we are on top of the blocking, he will do great. If we need to move the pocket or scramble, then JG will do great. I see no down sides to having either in the game as the situation dictates. A good coach will know when to mix it up at QB.

Nothing like having a scrambling QB (who can also pass) come in when the D is a bit gassed...catch 'em in man coverage and runa clear out for a QB scramble/run...

Reactions: 1 person
It's a great situation to be in,having 2 quality quarterbacks. They just need some experience.
I've never been a fan of the 2 QB systems but if they put certain packages in and let the backup get about 10-15 plays a game maybe it can work.

Not a fan of a 2 QB system because it's very easy for the defense to pick up on what the offense is running based on who the QB is. Both are probably starting caliber quarterbacks but I believe Dormady will get all of the playing time unless he gets injured or stinks it up because of the OLine.

Not a fan of a 2 QB system because it's very easy for the defense to pick up on what the offense is running based on who the QB is. Both are probably starting caliber quarterbacks but I believe Dormady will get all of the playing time unless he gets injured or stinks it up because of the OLine.

The OL should be a strong point if the OL stinks it up it will be a long year on the HILL.:eek:hmy:

Reactions: 2 people
There's saying if you have 2 QBs you don't have any. QD and JG prove that to be false. We have two "high quality" QBs.

Regular season and a bowl game. Just hoping for the maybe more lol

Bottom line will be who shows they can make the right read at game speed.

The talent is there for both, one of them has to take the first snap, so I hope nobody get itchy to make a change after the 1st 3 and out.

I still think we will be good enough to run a 2 QB system.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of him saying "hopefully more". Every player should feel like they have a chance of going to the playoffs because we are Tennessee.

It's not like he's saying we're going to the playoffs like Alvin Kamara did last year.

Quinten's ready...:eek:lol:...hope he don't feel like the Lone Ranger...heck, who isn't...:)

GO VOLS!

I think the coaches will keep it a competition regardless because we can't have one of those guys transfer. I will say that our favorite UT QB's have been 4 year starters. Would be nice to have Guarantano take the helm for 4 years, but Dormady is probably the right guy this year.

2 qb system worked for UF in an NC year -- was a damn disaster for UT in 05 though

UF did not run a 2 QB system.

Leak was their QB.

Tebow was a gadget player.

Leak threw 365 passes and had 77 rush attempts(though I believe this counts in sacks?). Tebow threw 22 and had 89 rush attempts. So Leaf was on the field for 80% of the QB-active plays.

The biggest difference however came in gameplanning/mindset. There was never a question who was starting for UF. Leak was the QB and that was final. No controversy around it, Tebow would run his 8(compared to Leak's 32 per) plays a game and that was that.

A 2 QB system is like what we attempted with Ainge and Schaeffer in 04, at least at the very start, but thankfully Fulmer/Sanders quickly realized how stupid that was considering it led to inconsistencies in the offense and considering Ainge was the vastly superior QB.

I think the two QB system they speak of is just fluff. Coaches know that it's extremely hard to be successful with that system.

VN Store

Back