Tennessee ranking versus Power 5 schools for NFL talent

LWSVOL

Attached link has the number of NFL draft picks of the power 5 schools. Broken down in three segments. The last 25 drafts (1993-2017), the last 10 drafts (2008-2017) and the 15 drafts from 1993-2007. The last column for each school shows the number of players taken in the first three rounds of the draft.

Comparison is reflecting how far our talent levels have fallen during this time frame.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dmvj_sjHpYbgwGFjFqJc1dP3z6bLpB1yZlbkBZ5JkXg

It appears UT is ahead of some pretty storied programs to have "dropped in talent levels."

What am I missing here?

UT has been thin in getting players drafted from the OL/DL recently.. Direct relationship in wins

It appears UT is ahead of some pretty storied programs to have "dropped in talent levels."

What am I missing here?

That sheet has 3 different sets of rankings on it.

From 1993 - 2008, the Vols were #4 in the country. Only FSU, Ohio St, and Miami were ahead of us.
From 2008 - 2017, we were #33 in the nation. Even teams like Iowa, Arkansas, Mizzou, Louisville, and Utah beat us.

Composite over the entire period, we were #10.

As LWS said in the OP, it's a pretty stark indicator of how seriously our team talent level dropped during our Dark Ages.

So now we're working hard to get back up near the top again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
That sheet has 3 different sets of rankings on it.

From 1993 - 2008, the Vols were #4 in the country. Only FSU, Ohio St, and Miami were ahead of us.
From 2008 - 2017, we were #33 in the nation. Even teams like Iowa, Arkansas, Mizzou, Louisville, and Utah beat us.

Composite over the entire period, we were #10.

As LWS said in the OP, it's a pretty stark indicator of how seriously our team talent level dropped during our Dark Ages.

So now we're working hard to get back up near the top again.

Probably would have helped had I kept scrolling lol

Reactions: 1 person
I'm more surprised at how consistently low Auburn is relative to the other SEC powers in all of those rankings.

Tennessee is explainable - constant coaching churn and turnover will do this to you. But Butch has proven the talent levels can be turned around. Now he just needs to show he can win with that talent. And if he can't, I'm confident we can find someone else who can.

We also had some sure first rounder's that suffered career ending injuries like Mike Munoz and Tiny Richardson. Same for a beat up LB (name?) a few years back and AJ Johnson too. Less the attitude and another year on campus and Tyler Bray could have been an early rounder.

JeIs7HypSzvQUBR6.jpg

VN Store

Back