Shoop: New-look defense has 'chip on their shoulder'

kamoshika

"We may not have the star power," Shoop said. "On offense it may not be a (Joshua) Dobbs or a(n) (Alvin) Kamara. On defense it may not be a Barnett, a Maybin or a Sutton. But I think as a whole unit on defense, we have a chance to be better than we were a year ago."

Two of the biggest factors with those chances are minimizing big running plays and defending 50-50 balls better in the secondary. The 37 plays of 30-plus yards Tennessee allowed last season were the second-most in the conference, and the Vols surrendered five plays of at least 70 yards, four of them running plays. Shoop said the key to limiting them isn't rocket science: It's just pursuing, getting off blocks and tackling better.

He also indicated the Vols have made "a couple of technical changes" with their cornerbacks that should help them win more one-on-one battles in coverage.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Defensive-coordinator-Bob-Shoop-New-look-Tennessee-Vols-defense--53302821

Reactions: 3 people
OMG, aside from hiring Sal Sunsieri I am not sure the Defense could be any worse. This Defense BETTER improve Light Years beyond last year or the entire staff will be looking for jobs in December.

Reactions: 2 people
For his sake, I hope he has more than "a chance" to improve from last year's defense.

You didn't read the article... he also said: "We can be a better defense, but it's not because Derek Barnett's not here," Shoop said during an interview with Sports Radio WNML's Jimmy Hyams that aired on Thursday. "Yes, we can be a better defense. We have to be a better defense. We have to play better than we played last year, and we will. This is a different team. Team 121 is certainly different than Team 120."

Shoop has yet to convince me of anything. The paranoid side of me thinks he had a hand in the loss to Vandy but that's just crazy talk, right?

Reactions: 1 person
Shoop has yet to convince me of anything. The paranoid side of me thinks he had a hand in the loss to Vandy but that's just crazy talk, right?

If u are saying his defense caused us to lose to Vandy? Yes, I agree with u, but if the offense would have scored more than 3 points in the 2nd half, it would have helped. If u are saying he threw the game because he used to coach at Vandy. No, that's the most ridiculous thing I may have ever seen on VolNation and that says a lot. But, I will give u the benefit of the doubt and assume u are talking about the former rather than the latter

Reactions: 10 people
If u are saying his defense caused us to lose to Vandy? Yes, I agree with u, but if the offense would have scored more than 3 points in the 2nd half, it would have helped. If u are saying he threw the game because he used to coach at Vandy. No, that's the most ridiculous thing I may have ever seen on VolNation and that says a lot. But, I will give u the benefit of the doubt and assume u are talking about the former rather than the latter

More likely to be incompetence rather than a loyalty to Vandy. He is a paid professional. His reaction to the final stop against Fl tells me, it's important to him. I don't see him allowing a lose on purpose. Defense laid an egg, just like the offense did. Complimentary football at it's worst. D giving up point, O not getting TDs, and ST missing an important FG. It could have went worse by playing bad the while game.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the schedule lays out better for this season vs. last year. You start with a head-scratcher vs. GT, then an easier opponent, then UF, then an easier opponent, then UGA.

With a relatively young team I can see them using this schedule to get a lot better by the end of Sept. GT, UF, & UGA will be tough games but all are winnable.

Reactions: 3 people
For his sake, I hope he has more than "a chance" to improve from last year's defense.

All it takes is "a chance".

I like our's.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Jumper is a tackling ginger mofo

You rarely see that kind of improvement from year to year out of a player. Jumper went straight to redheaded beast mode last year. and never stopped

I just hope for Shoop's sake the defense is a whole lot more healthy this year than last. That more than anything will be a key factor.

So he says they lost their star power yet somehow will be better? Riight..

"We may not have the star power," Shoop said. "On offense it may not be a (Joshua) Dobbs or a(n) (Alvin) Kamara. On defense it may not be a Barnett, a Maybin or a Sutton. But I think as a whole unit on defense, we have a chance to be better than we were a year ago."

Two of the biggest factors with those chances are minimizing big running plays and defending 50-50 balls better in the secondary. The 37 plays of 30-plus yards Tennessee allowed last season were the second-most in the conference, and the Vols surrendered five plays of at least 70 yards, four of them running plays. Shoop said the key to limiting them isn't rocket science: It's just pursuing, getting off blocks and tackling better.

He also indicated the Vols have made "a couple of technical changes" with their cornerbacks that should help them win more one-on-one battles in coverage.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Defensive-coordinator-Bob-Shoop-New-look-Tennessee-Vols-defense--53302821

Honestly, considering how God-awful our defense was last year, it's impossible for them not to be better this year.

It is quite possible that this fall we're going to see a remarkable illustration of the importance of team synergy in football.

Team 120 had all-stars. Barnett, Sutton, Reeves-Maybin. And yet, we could never get any real synergy going. Players injured or ejected from games ... coaches who may not have all been coaching in the same direction (not that they didn't get along, just that they may not have shared the same foundation of how the defense should work) ... pieces not fitting together cleanly into a single whole.

Team 121 has significant talent, of course. Kirkland and TKJr and Shy and KMac and McDowell and Kongbo and...well, the list is long. We have talented young men. But even more important, hopefully we have unity of purpose and the synergy of all being in tune with each other.

I think that's the underlying theme of this article. That the team has common direction, and that the whole may end up being--as is often the case in team sports--much more than just the sum of the parts.

Here's hoping. Go Vols!

Reactions: 8 people
By the end of last season we had 6+ starters out on D.... As long as we can stay healthy on D, there should be little to no excuses, even without Barnett...

It is quite possible that this fall we're going to see a remarkable illustration of the importance of team synergy in football.

Team 120 had all-stars. Barnett, Sutton, Reeves-Maybin. And yet, we could never get any real synergy going. Players injured or ejected from games ... coaches who may not have all been coaching in the same direction (not that they didn't get along, just that they may not have shared the same foundation of how the defense should work) ... pieces not fitting together cleanly into a single whole.

Team 121 has significant talent, of course. Kirkland and TKJr and Shy and KMac and McDowell and Kongbo and...well, the list is long. We have talented young men. But even more important, hopefully we have unity of purpose and the synergy of all being in tune with each other.

I think that's the underlying theme of this article. That the team has common direction, and that the whole may end up being--as is often the case in team sports--much more than just the sum of the parts.

Here's hoping. Go Vols!

Good post--- agree--- I also think Sapp will show up now that he is healthy and the entire secondary will be better with Warren... Health will be the key to the D's success this season.

VN Store

Back