Butch Jones Hot Seat Extravaganza Thread (Merged)

IknoxvolsI

The two (recent) articles below say so. One is a Sports Illustrated article and the other is, perhaps click bait.

The SI article:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/06/21/coaches-hot-seat-most-pressure

Gives Hugh Freeze as the hottest seat of all. I'm certain all of us and everyone interested in college football understands. There are however other well known names on their list. I remember alot of fans clammering for Rich Rod and Kevin Sumlin to come here. More so for the latter when he was still at Houston and before he went to aTm. The irony on this is that those for Butch can look at him and say after Manziel he has fared no better than Butch. Those against Butch can use the same to say he has done better with less. Lets not forget he's had his share of controversy as well. As for Roch Rod, I thought he was a good coach and he might become available. But, would you want another CLK? There are others on the "hot seat" list you can compare with Butch and discuss.

This article kind of defends Butch, but it does so from a fans perspective. (This article covers both aspects and I've seen both of them on here).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tenntr...-butch-jones-shouldnt-be-on-the-hot-seat/amp/

It states the obvious in that Butch has no equity with the fans because he hasn't done much. But, it also correlates that he is on par for the past quarter of a century what has been Tennessee football.

Personally, I don't think or feel CBJ is on the hot seat. Any knowledgeable fan cannot hold the first two years against him. Obviously, this is because of the shape the program was in. Certainly, I wish he would have had more success as all fans at all schools. Multiple posts on numerous threads have commented about him being on the hot seat. We haven't had a thread dedicated soley to this topic. So, VN fans and VN experts, what do ya'll think? Is the seat hot or not?

Reactions: 4 people
Yes and no. Lukewarm right now, but lose to Florida, Georgia, one of Vandy, Kentucky, or SC and it will be Solar Flare hot

Reactions: 7 people
I think we should take a breath before yelling "Fahr Butch!" but also think hard about whether we should extend him. We cannot afford another recruiting lull due to a coaching change, so we'd have to have a big name waiting in the wings... (Peyton Manning?) ;)

So when we have an underwhelming season, maybe we take a breath before we fire him. Though I think this program has an artificial ceiling under CBJ, a coaching change is about timing, and the timing right now is bad.

Everyone's seat is hot, including yours. It's unfortunate that people want to focus on that instead of whipping salami tail.

Reactions: 1 person
No. Unless he completely craps the bed this season. If he wouldn't have made the staff changes I would think yes, but he's taking steps to make improvements in position groups that needed it including S&C, so I think he gets at least 2 more seasons barring a disaster this season.

No. And it would take a 7-5 season to even get it warm imo.

I almost agree with you. I don't think his seat is particularly warm now, but 7-5 would make it pretty hot. He would be allowed the 2018 season to make it right, but that would be the end without a big improvement.

Coach's seats depend on 4 things:

1) The school's winning tradition in the last 25 years (for comparison to present)
2) The most recent W/L column
3) Recruiting trendline (going up or going down)
4) Off the field issues (bb-gun for hamburger heist)

Butch is average or better than average in all four. The program overall is trending up. So, I would say "not at this time.....check back in November"

Reactions: 8 people
Underachieving the talent level that's been recruited for a 3rd year in a row probably won't go over well with Currie. AD changes nearly always put coaches in peril unless they are newly hired, or have glowing performance records.

Reactions: 5 people
Underachieving the talent level that's been recruited for a 3rd year in a row probably won't go over well with Currie. AD changes nearly always put coaches in peril unless they are newly hired, or have glowing performance records.

This is a fact many are not taking into consideration. Check back at the end of September.

Several coaches have much hotter seats...Kevin Sumlin for sure, Hugh Freeze because of the NCAA issues, Bret Bielema's seat is probably warmer than Butch's, and another poor season will have Gus Malzahn in trouble...

Several coaches have much hotter seats...Kevin Sumlin for sure, Hugh Freeze because of the NCAA issues, Bret Bielema's seat is probably warmer than Butch's, and another poor season will have Gus Malzahn in trouble...

I can really see Bielema's being hot. They forked over alot of money for what they thought was a big time coach. Bobby Petrino set a very high bar there before his downfall!

Vegas counts the talent in their over/under on wins. There has been no "3 years".
Oh, hyperbole:
The exaggeration of facts to support ones claims. NM, I understand.

This. A new AD who has to make his mark will be far less forgiving of bad losses than the AD that hired the coach will. Butch's seat is at minimum warm. Two losses before the break will not be pretty for TCHFCATUTK.

I can really see Bielema's being hot. They forked over alot of money for what they thought was a big time coach. Bobby Petrino set a very high bar there before his downfall!

Yea, I have a few Hawg friends and they hate how he doesn't have them ready until late October...

This is a fact many are not taking into consideration. Check back at the end of September.

I think we agree here. I don't pretend to know, but I'd lean toward thinking Currie pulling the trigger sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Vegas counts the talent in their over/under on wins. There has been no "3 years".
Oh, hyperbole:
The exaggeration of facts to support ones claims. NM, I understand.

The fact is that in both 2015 and and 2016, Butch dropped games to teams that UT overmatched or equaled in talent.

You can tell yourself whatever you need to, but pretending that John Currie isn't aware of those facts, won't make them not true.

Reactions: 3 people
The fact is that in both 2015 and and 2016, Butch dropped games to teams that UT overmatched or equaled in talent.

You can tell yourself whatever you need to, but pretending that John Currie isn't aware of those facts, won't make them not true.

So he dropped games where he had a lead in 2015, not underachieved according to talent level.

So you are changing your criteria and claiming I'm the one "telling myself" something.
That's cute.

Reactions: 12 people
I think CBJ and Sumlin need to win now. I think Bielema gets another year, no matter what. And Ole Miss is sticking with Freeze unless he's sacrificed to the NCAA gods.

Jones, Freeze, and Sumlin are all on or very near the hot seat. We need to win 8 this year

VN Store

Back