Vols Path to the East Division

zeppelin128

This is the Way.
As it seems is the case every season, we draw the toughest cross-divisional games with the TSIO and a November match-up with LSU in Knoxville. Not too mention the TSIO is at the Red Elephants circus, and we get the lizards in the Swamp.

So I decided to take a look at our East competitors' SEC schedules, ignoring OOC games, just to see how it all shapes up. Vandy and Mizzou are omitted because I don't think there is a chance in Hades that they will win the East next season. I included the big three as usual, and added Kentucky and South Carolina since so many consider them to be the "dark-horses" in the East this season. I've highlighted what I think are the toughest games for each team.

UT: at Florida, UGA, bye, South Carolina, at Bama, at Kentucky, at Mizzou, LSU, Vandy

UF: Tennessee, at Kentucky, Vandy, LSU, TAMU, bye, UGA (Jacksonville), at Mizzou, at South Carolina

UGA: Miss State, at Tennessee, at Vandy, Mizzou, bye, UF (Jacksonville), South Carolina, at Auburn, Kentucky

UK: at South Carolina, Florida, Mizzou, bye, at Miss State, Tennessee, Ole Miss, at Vandy, at UGA

South Carolina: at Mizzou, Kentucky, at TAMU, Arkansas, at Tennessee, bye, Vandy, at UGA, UF

With this schedule, South Carolina and Kentucky will be a factor, but I think they will be fighting for bowl eligibility at 4th and 5th in the East. I just don't see them running their slate with the talent they have.

As for the big three, we as usual have the toughest draw from the West. UGA and Florida have their yearly advantage of playing one another at a neutral field, and Florida catches both of their West teams in the Swamp, while Georgia travels to Knoxville and Auburn, but draws lowly Mississippi State from the West.

I think we will be fighting for the division with Georgia this Autumn. Florida could easily have four losses with that schedule, I am not sold on them this season. Let's say for argument we lose the TSIO and Georgia loses to the Barn. Georgia will destroy Mississippi State. This makes the LSU game in late November pivotal to our chances at the East. The good thing about this scenario is that we have Georgia in Knoxville, which is a must win game, and Coach O is at LSU. We can drop one or two along the way, but we have to beat Georgia to bust up any potential tie breakers in November.

TLDR; We will be first or second in the SEC East. It all depends on the Tennessee-Georgia game.

Reactions: 5 people
As it seems is the case every season, we draw the toughest cross-divisional games with the TSIO and a November match-up with LSU in Knoxville. Not too mention the TSIO is at the Red Elephants circus, and we get the lizards in the Swamp.

So I decided to take a look at our East competitors' SEC schedules, ignoring OOC games, just to see how it all shapes up. Vandy and Mizzou are omitted because I don't think there is a chance in Hades that they will win the East next season. I included the big three as usual, and added Kentucky and South Carolina since so many consider them to be the "dark-horses" in the East this season. I've highlighted what I think are the toughest games for each team.

UT: at Florida, UGA, bye, South Carolina, at Bama, at Kentucky, at Mizzou, LSU, Vandy

UF: Tennessee, at Kentucky, Vandy, LSU, TAMU, bye, UGA (Jacksonville), at Mizzou, at South Carolina

UGA: Miss State, at Tennessee, at Vandy, Mizzou, bye, UF (Jacksonville), South Carolina, at Auburn, Kentucky

UK: at South Carolina, Florida, Mizzou, bye, at Miss State, Tennessee, Ole Miss, at Vandy, at UGA

South Carolina: at Mizzou, Kentucky, at TAMU, Arkansas, at Tennessee, bye, Vandy, at UGA, UF

With this schedule, South Carolina and Kentucky will be a factor, but I think they will be fighting for bowl eligibility at 4th and 5th in the East. I just don't see them running their slate with the talent they have.

As for the big three, we as usual have the toughest draw from the West. UGA and Florida have their yearly advantage of playing one another at a neutral field, and Florida catches both of their West teams in the Swamp, while Georgia travels to Knoxville and Auburn, but draws lowly Mississippi State from the West.

I think we will be fighting for the division with Georgia this Autumn. Florida could easily have four losses with that schedule, I am not sold on them this season. Let's say for argument we lose the TSIO and Georgia loses to the Barn. Georgia will destroy Mississippi State. This makes the LSU game in late November pivotal to our chances at the East. The good thing about this scenario is that we have Georgia in Knoxville, which is a must win game, and Coach O is at LSU. We can drop one or two along the way, but we have to beat Georgia to bust up any potential tie breakers in November.

TLDR; We will be first or second in the SEC East. It all depends on the Tennessee-Georgia game.

Hopefully LSU continues their trend of late-season swoons by the time they get to Knoxville.

Reactions: 2 people
as it seems is the case every season, we draw the toughest cross-divisional games with the tsio and a november match-up with lsu in knoxville. Not too mention the tsio is at the red elephants circus, and we get the lizards in the swamp.

So i decided to take a look at our east competitors' sec schedules, ignoring ooc games, just to see how it all shapes up. Vandy and mizzou are omitted because i don't think there is a chance in hades that they will win the east next season. I included the big three as usual, and added kentucky and south carolina since so many consider them to be the "dark-horses" in the east this season. I've highlighted what i think are the toughest games for each team.

Ut: at florida, uga, bye, south carolina, at bama, at kentucky, at mizzou, lsu, vandy

uf: tennessee, at kentucky, vandy, lsu, tamu, bye, uga (jacksonville), at mizzou, at south carolina

uga: Miss state, at tennessee, at vandy, mizzou, bye, uf (jacksonville), south carolina, at auburn, kentucky

uk: at south carolina, florida, mizzou, bye, at miss state, tennessee, ole miss, at vandy, at uga

south carolina: At mizzou, kentucky, at tamu, arkansas, at tennessee, bye, vandy, at uga, uf

with this schedule, south carolina and kentucky will be a factor, but i think they will be fighting for bowl eligibility at 4th and 5th in the east. I just don't see them running their slate with the talent they have.

As for the big three, we as usual have the toughest draw from the west. Uga and florida have their yearly advantage of playing one another at a neutral field, and florida catches both of their west teams in the swamp, while georgia travels to knoxville and auburn, but draws lowly mississippi state from the west.

I think we will be fighting for the division with georgia this autumn. Florida could easily have four losses with that schedule, i am not sold on them this season. Let's say for argument we lose the tsio and georgia loses to the barn. Georgia will destroy mississippi state. This makes the lsu game in late november pivotal to our chances at the east. The good thing about this scenario is that we have georgia in knoxville, which is a must win game, and coach o is at lsu. We can drop one or two along the way, but we have to beat georgia to bust up any potential tie breakers in november.

Tldr; we will be first or second in the sec east. It all depends on the tennessee-georgia game.

butch sucks! Farh him!

Our path ! Undefeated! Tennessee is a lot better than anyone knows ! Last year was talent with no discipline and this team is talent plus capable coaches and a pissed off VOLS team ! Story of the year , TENNESSEE FOOTBALL BABY!

Reactions: 11 people
UGA will be favored to win the east like they oftentimes are, but as per usual (Like us this past season) will fall short of their preseason expectations. They'll lose to 2 of Auburn, Florida, or ourselves and more than likely trip up against a team like South Carolina or UK. Jacob Eason will be improved, but won't be close to elite and I'd have to imagine Chubb still won't be the absolute phenom he once was. Add all of that up with the fact that Jim Chaney is their offensive coordinator and I just don't see them taking the SECE this year. The only thing they have going for them is the amount of starters they have returning.

Reactions: 1 person
I think 6-2 in the SEC wins the east but I'm not confident we can do that. Chalk up bama as a loss and we can only lose 1 to: LSU, Georgia, at Florida, USCe, and at Kentucky. Not likely.

There is not one team that is head and shoulders above the rest in the SECE this year. Vols will be in the mix to win the east for sure.

Hopefully LSU continues their trend of late-season swoons by the time they get to Knoxville.

LSU has a really nasty gauntlet of games leading up to the UT game, maybe tougher than the 4 game stretch UT had last season. I believe 5 tough games in a 6-week stretch. And if they haven't solved their QB issues...

I think 6-2 in the SEC wins the east but I'm not confident we can do that. Chalk up bama as a loss and we can only lose 1 to: LSU, Georgia, at Florida, USCe, and at Kentucky. Not likely.

yeah, this is where i am. i think 5-3 is probably about as good as one could expect, maybe hope for, this year.

i think of the FL, GA, Bama, LSU games, either LSU or FL are the ones we'd be most likely to steal a game from.

we better beat USCe, Vandy, KY and MO.

Win all the East games..and Split the west.... Problem Solved

That's the only sure path that doesn't require us to hope Florida/Georgia lose at least 2 or more games so that we still have a chance to take the division

Last edited:
If LSU does go down hill and we can somehow beat them we may have a chance to back into the SECCG like in '04. That's if Fla and Ga lose an extra game and, this is a BIG (and) Butch and Co don't get scared of a rematch with Bama like last year and start throwing games.

Lotta (AND's) in there but better that if's and but's.

Although we left meat on the table last year, must beat UGA and UF again to even think about contending.

BTW, I'd almost certainly highlight at UK this year. They keep recruiting and improving and will be all fired up in Lexington this year.

Although we left meat on the table last year, must beat UGA and UF again to even think about contending.

BTW, I'd almost certainly highlight at UK this year. They keep recruiting and improving and will be all fired up in Lexington this year.

Agreed. Still hard for me to see KY or SC beating all of or 2 of 3 against TN, GA and FL.

The ugly head of parity has risen in the East. There's gonna be great football games, but miserably close losses for all, unless good luck falls one team's way all the way into December.

Sadly, for passionate fans of specific SEC-East schools, this season in the non-West SEC looks to offer wall-to-wall thrillers for fans who love football but cheer no team.

I could see SEC East games getting more SportsCenter air time than the West, just because of close games and potential shockers decided by a few key bounces or calls.

It's the kind of season we might see an unusual stat decide the East's champion, something like "fewest dropped passes" or "most offsetting penalties."

The East is going to be great entertainment--and as a Vol fan I'm dreading it!

There is parity in the east and there is parity for 2nd place in the west. And there is parity in the ACC, Big 10 and all those other conferences as well.

The NC was won by a team that lost to an 8-5 team at home. And that team beat a team that did not even win its conference in a playoff game.

If anything was learned from last season it is that the unexpected can and will happen.

We will likely be going into November needing to beat Vandy and Kentucky to be .500 in SEC play and a trip to the Music City Bowl on the line

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back