Butch and the energy bus

Vol_n_LR

I'm reading The Power of Positive Leadership by Jon Gordon and randomly came across this section of the book. Jon is a writer and speaker spreading the word on how positive leaders can affect your team and what the future holds.

What it said was he had a meeting with 10 of the guys that were draining the energy of the team. Most that he talked to admitted they were draining the energy, but some did not and those guys were let go.

Wonder who these guys could've been?

This was during Butches first bowl game with Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
What it said was he had a meeting with 10 of the guys that were draining the energy of the team. Most that he talked to admitted they were draining the energy, but some did not and those guys were let go.

Wonder who these guys could've been?

This was during Butches first bowl game with Tennessee.

Vic Wharton obviously was one.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Butch needs to come to grips that games aren't won with catchy slogans and that rah rah crap is getting old. He's in year #5 and it honestly feels like we're back in year 2. The expectations for this years team is possibly a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the East, no closer to beating Bama and we should be on a 3 year winning streak vs Florida but we all know how that turned out.

I don't ever expect us to have a run like we did in the 90's, those were great years but we all realize the SEC is a whole let better now than it was then. I think Butch has taken us about as far as he can (Like Majors) and now we need someone to take us to the next level.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm reading The Power of Positive Leadership by Jon Gordon and randomly came across this section of the book. Jon is a writer and speaker spreading the word on how positive leaders can affect your team and what the future holds.

When motivational speakers speak, your first instinct should be to hold on to your wallet...

I think Butch needs to come to grips that games aren't won with catchy slogans and that rah rah crap is getting old. He's in year #5 and it honestly feels like we're back in year 2. The expectations for this years team is possibly a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the East, no closer to beating Bama and we should be on a 3 year winning streak vs Florida but we all know how that turned out.

I don't ever expect us to have a run like we did in the 90's, those were great years but we all realize the SEC is a whole let better now than it was then. I think Butch has taken us about as far as he can (Like Majors) and now we need someone to take us to the next level.

But those slogans and catchphrases are what today's generation of kids, both players and recruits, respond to. The fans may not like them, but it's how coaches in every program get their kids' attention and keep it.

I suppose you could argue that not every program is as forthcoming with what their slogans and mottos are. But I can assure you that every program, even Alabama, uses the same motivational tactics.

Year two we were relying on allot of true freshmen to carry the load. Not even close to where we are now.

Reactions: 2 people

Time will tell if CBJ has taken UT as far as he can but Majors won multiple SEC titles. CBJ has yet to win the SECE.

This guy is also very involved with Dabo Swinney and the Clemson Football Program. Mentions how their football program was beaten down. Then Dabo came in and all the directors told him there goal was to bring the program to where every other program was. His response was to not be like every other program but have clemaons football and academics of the football team be one of the best in the country.

I'm reading The Power of Positive Leadership by Jon Gordon...

Did you mean THIS Jon Gruden?

jongruden.0.0-1000x600.jpg

dd83b35d1c199e43d2c0675d9e9589c4128cb486fe8f3853a0b5f588c5181233.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Did you mean THIS Jon Gruden?

dd83b35d1c199e43d2c0675d9e9589c4128cb486fe8f3853a0b5f588c5181233.jpg

Clearly, this person is very intelligent and therefore requires extra cranial capacity. He is also well fed from eating everyone else's lunch both metaphorically and physically. Thank you for sharing this fine specimen of Volmanity.

I read that book recently. Car goes into the shop for two weeks and takes the bus. Long story short he decides to take the bus to work after his car is fixed. Those darn energy vampires will suck the energy right out of ya.

But those slogans and catchphrases are what today's generation of kids, both players and recruits, respond to. The fans may not like them, but it's how coaches in every program get their kids' attention and keep it.

I suppose you could argue that not every program is as forthcoming with what their slogans and mottos are. But I can assure you that every program, even Alabama, uses the same motivational tactics.

They are very common not only in sports but anywhere you have to succeed with a group (e.g. team) of folks working together towards a common goal.

If one pays attention, they will find proof and snippets in the news that makes it very apparent that most, if not all, college football teams use motivational tactics.

And Inky speaks everywhere.

VN Store

Back