Vols Among the Most Experienced Defenses in SEC in 2017

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2017/06/20/vols-among-experienced-defenses-sec-2017/

According to data gathered by college football statistician and analyst Phil Steele, the Vols are among the top teams in the SEC when it comes to the percent of tackles returning from their 2016 roster.
Steele’s data shows that the Vols are returning exactly 75 percent of their tackling production from last season. That’s good enough for 23rd in the entire FBS and third in the SEC. Only Georgia (86.6 percent) and Kentucky (77.7 percent) return a larger percent of their tackling from last season in the conference.
The Vols return their top five leading tacklers from last year’s team for this upcoming season. In fact, eight of the top nine leading tacklers from the Vols’ 2016 season are still on the roster for 2017. Derek Barnett, who was sixth on the team with 56 total tackles, is the only player in the top nine tacklers from last year who isn’t returning for this upcoming season.

Losing Barnett will be felt no doubt but barring injuries decimating us again we will be deeper and more talented in most positions this season.

I also expect Shoop to really earn his paycheck this season. He was considered one of the best defensive minds in CFB when we hired him for a reason. No amount of scheming in the world can make up for the sheer volume of injuries we had at key spots last season. Also having another year to fully implement his scheme can't be stated enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 people
http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2017/06/20/vols-among-experienced-defenses-sec-2017/

According to data gathered by college football statistician and analyst Phil Steele, the Vols are among the top teams in the SEC when it comes to the percent of tackles returning from their 2016 roster.
Steele’s data shows that the Vols are returning exactly 75 percent of their tackling production from last season. That’s good enough for 23rd in the entire FBS and third in the SEC. Only Georgia (86.6 percent) and Kentucky (77.7 percent) return a larger percent of their tackling from last season in the conference.
The Vols return their top five leading tacklers from last year’s team for this upcoming season. In fact, eight of the top nine leading tacklers from the Vols’ 2016 season are still on the roster for 2017. Derek Barnett, who was sixth on the team with 56 total tackles, is the only player in the top nine tacklers from last year who isn’t returning for this upcoming season.

Losing Barnett will be felt no doubt but barring injuires decimating us again we will be deeper and more talented in most positions this season.

I also expect Shoop to really earn his paycheck this season. He was considered one of the best defensive minds in CFB when we hired him for a reason. No amout of scheming in the world can make up for the sheer volume of injuries we had at key spots last season.

That's a crazy stat, considering that we lost arguably our best three defensive players to the draft.

Says a lot about how much two of them had to sit out last season, I guess. In particular JRM, who would likely have led the team in tackles had he been in every game.

Reactions: 6 people
c6ba2e3fdaf21790b23ae8064daee92d.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Probably lead the FBS in neck strains as well.

Hope they've all recovered from last year, and plan on not watching ball carriers go by them so much in 2017.

Reactions: 4 people
Oh I almost forgot, we got two YUGE upgrades in Brady Hoke and Charlton Warren. We could end up having one of the best Defenses in the SEC this season.

Reactions: 14 people
I remember the same thing about Vandy when Woody was coaching there.

Sometimes talent and coaching overrides experience.

That's a crazy stat, considering that we lost arguably our best three defensive players to the draft.

Says a lot about how much two of them had to sit out last season, I guess. In particular JRM, who would likely have led the team in tackles had he been in every game.
Not having Cam and JRM hurt bad last season but helped in the long run. We now have players with experience that wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Reactions: 10 people
Not having Cam and JRM hurt last season bad but helped in the long run. We now have players with experience that wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Great point.

Though I'd have gladly traded that extra experience in 2017 for the SEC East and another shot at Bama in Atlanta in 2016.

Reactions: 6 people
2015 was as well. Florida & Oklahoma were very, very winnable games. That would have changed that entire season and likely would have had a positive effect going into 2016 as well. Butch will look back on 2015 with regret if he doesn't get it done this year and gets fired after this season.

it was talked about last season as the injuries started to mount up, and more inexperienced players got good reps, but just not enough as we continued to suck on defense...

but yeah, one would think that with all the reps a lot of young guys got last year, at some point it should translate into production the next season.

we'll see. i do think the defense will be better, but honestly, the bar was set pretty low coming off last year....its how much better will they/can they be....

It has to be better this year,unless the injuries start back up. Surely they won't this year will they?
I really think another year for the players and coaches working together in this system will surprise some people. It will be even better if its a true 4-3 that Shoop is best at.

Reactions: 3 people
It has to be better this year,unless the injuries start back up. Surely they won't this year will they?
I really think another year for the players and coaches working together in this system will surprise some people. It will be even better if its a true 4-3 that Shoop is best at.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: 2 people
At least we can go ahead throw the "inexperienced" excuse out the window.

If they are great, or suck again, they'll have earned it.

I feel confident that there is no way in hell they can duplicate last years train wreck, even if they tried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL-82-JP View Post
Great point.

Though I'd have gladly traded that extra experience in 2017 for the SEC East and another shot at Bama in Atlanta in 2016.

No doubt about it. 2016 will always be the season of What Could Have Been.

2016 - WCHB DAT
2017 - WI DAT (What IS DAT)

lets hope the changes in the off season work out. our million bucks a year DC looked bad. the condition, DB and DL coaches took the fall, but should he have not seen that coming. Butch may have laid a egg with that hire.

lets hope the changes in the off season work out. our million bucks a year DC looked bad. the condition, DB and DL coaches took the fall, but should he have not seen that coming. Butch may have laid a egg with that hire.

meh. i'm not going to defend last year. it's not really possible.

but when you add up all the contributing factors, it's at least understandable how we got where wound up on defense.

presently, it's 1 year snapshot on a defense that got decimated personnel wise....not arguing why or how, or who should be ultimately responsible for that, just sayin it did happen.

shoop has a resume that shows consistent performance, and i think we'll see more of that going forward.

not ready to write him off.....yet anyway. but i feel pretty confident that he can get it done.

Reactions: 4 people
At least we can go ahead throw the "inexperienced" excuse out the window.

If they are great, or suck again, they'll have earned it.

I feel confident that there is no way in hell they can duplicate last years train wreck, even if they tried!
Not really. You want your linebacker core recording the majority of your tackles.

meh. i'm not going to defend last year. it's not really possible.

but when you add up all the contributing factors, it's at least understandable how we got where wound up on defense.

presently, it's 1 year snapshot on a defense that got decimated personnel wise....not arguing why or how, or who should be ultimately responsible for that, just sayin it did happen.

shoop has a resume that shows consistent performance, and i think we'll see more of that going forward.

not ready to write him off.....yet anyway. but i feel pretty confident that he can get it done.

Well-spake, sir. :good!: :loco:

Everybody has to break in a new QB eventually, and when you have to, it's good to have a veteran OL and a veteran D, not to mention pretty good special teams.

If I would have told you before last season that we would mount a 21 point deficit comeback against Florida, a 17 point comeback against VT, struggled against Ohio, App St (OT), Mizzou and Kentucky and lost to Vandy and SCAR last year, and beat Georgia on a back to back volley of Hail Mary drives, I could have been locked up for observation.

Last edited:
Achilles Heal, NO Depth at DT No Depth at LB,

Picou looks very promising. He has really muscled up. Key is keeping Vickers, Tuttle and KMac healthy. Need Alexis Johnson to step up as well.

LB is actually pretty good with DKjr, Sapp, Bituli, McDowell, Austin Smith and Jumper. Elliot Berry was getting a lot better towards the end of last season and FR Reid is a good find.

I'm more worried about RB Depth/experience. We need at least a couple of RBs to step up after Kelly. Getting good reports on Chandler and Jordan and CFA had a real good Spring too, so fingers crossed.

VN Store

Back