Coaching buyout breakdowns

IknoxvolsI

Money spent over the past decade for coaching, some say mistakes (on both ends), has been astronomical. Here is a brief synopsis with percentages going back to '92 and originating with Majors buyout to the obligated buyout of Jones.

First, starting with Dooley. That fiasco costed 7.5 million but only 5 million went to him. The rest to assistants. This is less than the 6 million Fulmer was paid. The biggest discrepancy is that Dooley was only here for three years and contributed almost nothing whereas Fulmer spent 16 years and won trophies and games.

http://archive.knoxnews.com/sports/...imated-75-million-ep-358772569-356094291.html

Next is the Fulmer buyout.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=3679810

As we all know this was a 6 million dollar buyout. This was the reward for 16 years, two SEC titles, four SEC games and one NC. Now, this is on top of the salary he was already paid to deliver. The note on this is that it is a 100% increase from the previous coaches (Majors) buyout. Remember, this is inflation over a 16 year period, however. Cost of just doing business in major college football.

Next up is Majors' buyout. It was common knowledge at the time that his buyout was $600,000. At the time, that was considered a large amount of money, but far less than the millions dooled out (pun intended) to Fulmer and later coaches. As the article below states, Johnny wasn't legally owed that much but that amount was negotiated. It also states that the total amount was just over $500,000 not the $600,000 that was supposedly common knowledge but I rounded it up any way.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/s...ball-majors-may-be-out-but-he-s-not-down.html

Next is the $10,000,000 buyout of Butch. The following article states that the actual buyout is more.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/92712348/

Actually, $10,025,000 more than the rounded up version of Majors buyout, which was 25 years ago this season. Still, that is alot of money! It comes to a staggaring 56% increase over Fulmers buyout of less than a decade ago. But, that is not to say that Butch is going to be bought out this year. Just to state how times have changed.

Now, if by chance there is no contract changes and a coaching change occurs, we will have paid somewhere just under $22,225,000 in just coaching buyouts over the past 25 years. This also means that Butch is worth $14 million (4 million for coaching salary and 10 million if he is bought out). It's late and my math may be skewed but that's close. These figures do not include the salaries of head coaches or assistants. Just the buyouts.

The debate proposed to you is, has there been a return of satisfaction on that amount? Obviously that is less than 1 million a year but at the same time, that is to be added on top of the coaching salary. Do you, my fellow fans and VN posters think we are in line with other top notch programs when it comes to spending? Should we have spent more or less? I am curious as to what you all think. As for me, that is alot of money!

I'll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The only buyout that should really bother anyone (at least so far) is Dooley. Majors and Fulmer were here 16 years a piece. I don't think Butch gets fired any time soon but I guess that's a wait and see.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch's has gone down each year since 2016 and will be half the number the OP states in February. $5 million is a lot but it's one year's salary or less for an elite cfb head coach and certainly not enough to tie the hands of an AD with the resources of a school like UTK.

Reactions: 4 people
When are some of these schools going to take a stand and put a performance clause on these coaches? The buyout should be tied to performance. If you play 12 games but only win six your buyout is cut in half. I think if some schools would start doing this it would snow ball into most schools doing it.

Reactions: 2 people
These numbers seem like a lot, but in the current landscape of college sports they are not out of line. Our athletic budget is in the 100's of millions of dollar per year range. This is business and if anything we are under what we should be paying compared to competition. If we lose Butch to another school and get a Dooley 2.0 version in here again we are screwed.

Remember the old adage "You have to spend money, to make money" and college football is ALL ABOUT MAKING MONEY.

When are some of these schools going to take a stand and put a performance clause on these coaches? The buyout should be tied to performance. If you play 12 games but only win six your buyout is cut in half. I think if some schools would start doing this it would snow ball into most schools doing it.

Lol. Yes and I bet everyone on here would want their pay handled the exact same way, for the contractor who does not finish a remodeling job on a house when it was expected to be complete to the auto mechanic who takes longer on a car than they originally said it would. How about just paying your doctor 1/2 if the cold you have does not clear in say 3 days. Yes I am sure the reduction in pay based of performance will work well with these coaches. I bet Saban goes for it in a heartbeat, probably jumps at the chance.

0 chance.. coaches are paid to stay and leave at the same time

It would need to work both ways. If you win 12 the buyout is increased by 50%.

That said most of the contracts have bonus dollars built in for performance. The buyout is to protect the coach.

The contract also has a payment by the coach if they leave early. That is to protect the school from a very successful coach who goes elsewhere for more money.

Some jobs, coaches, CEO's of large companies, etc. are not paid the same way that most folks are paid. It is the nature of those jobs. Tennessee's situation is no different.

Those of you who are wanting a new coach - trust me the salary and buyout for a new coach would more than likely be more than what Jones has today. And you all will be complaining about that day 1 as well.

I don't think Fulmer or Dooley had 'offset clauses' in their contracts; UT put one in when they hired Butch.

Good luck getting a coach with testicles to sign that.

The first school that attempts that will be hiring a high school coach

Reactions: 5 people
Money spent over the past decade for coaching, some say mistakes (on both ends), has been astronomical. Here is a brief synopsis with percentages going back to '92 and originating with Majors buyout to the obligated buyout of Jones.

First, starting with Dooley. That fiasco costed 7.5 million but only 5 million went to him. The rest to assistants. This is less than the 6 million Fulmer was paid. The biggest discrepancy is that Dooley was only here for three years and contributed almost nothing whereas Fulmer spent 16 years and won trophies and games.

http://archive.knoxnews.com/sports/...imated-75-million-ep-358772569-356094291.html

As we all know this was a 6 million dollar buyout. This was the reward for 16 years, two SEC titles, four SEC games and one NC. Now, this is on top of the salary he was already paid to deliver. The note on this is that it is a 100% increase from the previous coaches (Majors) buyout. Remember, this is inflation over a 16 year period, however. Cost of just doing business in major college football.

Next up is Majors' buyout. It was common knowledge at the time that his buyout was $600,000. At the time, that was considered a large amount of money, but far less than the millions dooled out (pun intended) to Fulmer and later coaches. As the article below states, Johnny wasn't legally owed that much but that amount was negotiated. It also states that the total amount was just over $500,000 not the $600,000 that was supposedly common knowledge but I rounded it up any way.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/s...ball-majors-may-be-out-but-he-s-not-down.html

Next is the $10,000,000 buyout of Butch. The following article states that the actual buyout is more.

Actually, $10,025,000 more than the rounded up version of Majors buyout, which was 25 years ago this season. Still, that is alot of money! It comes to a staggaring 56% increase over Fulmers buyout of less than a decade ago. But, that is not to say that Butch is going to be bought out this year. Just to state how times have changed.

Now, if by chance there is no contract changes and a coaching change occurs, we will have paid somewhere just under $22,225,000 in just coaching buyouts over the past 25 years. This also means that Butch is worth $14 million (4 million for coaching salary and 10 million if he is bought out). It's late and my math may be skewed but that's close. These figures do not include the salaries of head coaches or assistants. Just the buyouts.

The debate proposed to you is, has there been a return of satisfaction on that amount? Obviously that is less than 1 million a year but at the same time, that is to be added on top of the coaching salary. Do you, my fellow fans and VN posters think we are in line with other top notch programs when it comes to spending? Should we have spent more or less? I am curious as to what you all think. As for me, that is alot of money!

I'll hang up and listen.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but I think you really need to see a doctor about your insomnia. Your late night threads are getting sillier by the day. If I was donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to the university, I might get OCD about how the money is being spent. Since I don't, I let those that do worry about it.

But why sit up late night fretting about what other people who don't donate the big bucks think about it? If you were donating the big bucks, you would discuss it over steak at the Char House with other people who donate the big bucks. Not online with a whole lot of knuckleheads of which a very small percentage might donate just enough to buy season tickets.

So, what is the point of making this thread? Your insomnia is just making you silly. Get help.

We have had terrible negotiators for the last 10 years.

Agreed. Awful, borderline incompetent leadership from the University presidents on down has put us in the awful predicament we've been in for a long time now.

I'll hang up and listen.

You may need a snickers bar, you're trying way to hard.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but I think you really need to see a doctor about your insomnia. Your late night threads are getting sillier by the day. If I was donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to the university, I might get OCD about how the money is being spent. Since I don't, I let those that do worry about it.

But why sit up late night fretting about what other people who don't donate the big bucks think about it? If you were donating the big bucks, you would discuss it over steak at the Char House with other people who donate the big bucks. Not online with a whole lot of knuckleheads of which a very small percentage might donate just enough to buy season tickets.

So, what is the point of making this thread? Your insomnia is just making you silly. Get help.

Butch's buyout has been brought up on here a little more than frequently...useful information I found relevant. As far as his posting time? We all have different hours...hate that you had to hear it from me. :)

Why do you give an ish? Why is this a silly thread? He had a thought about coaching buyouts and started a thread about it. I found it pretty interesting....certainly didn't think "this guy needs help".

Reactions: 4 people
Butch's buyout has been brought up on here a little more than frequently...useful information I found relevant. As far as his posting time? We all have different hours...hate that you had to hear it from me. :)

But what can we do about it? How is that relevant info useful? For getting your gut in a knot? Or are you having steak with some boosters tonight?

Fans discussing buyouts is like taking a pocket knife to a sword fight. I find it telling what parts of my post you avoided. But I'd rather hear it from you than the knuckleheads I have on ignore. At least you have a point most of the time.

People who complain about large buyouts and salaries are the same ones who moan about the administration is unwilling to pay enough to get elite level coaches. Go figure.

Why do you give an ish? Why is this a silly thread? He had a thought about coaching buyouts and started a thread about it. I found it pretty interesting....certainly didn't think "this guy needs help".

Read all his late night posts he has started just in the past week. And it is a silly thread because where it always leads; a whole lotta whiners calling for money they will never make in 20 years to be spent freely in a day. I call that silly. What would you call it?

VN Store

Back