TN ranked 6th in SEC Coaching Jobs

Neyland Law Vol

According to CBS the TN job is only the 6th best in the SEC. I was surprised they have the TN job ranked below the Barn.

Here is the ranking. And below is an article analyzing it.

1. Alabama Crimson Tide
2. LSU Tigers
3. Georgia Bulldogs
4. Florida Gators
5. Auburn Tigers
6. Tennessee Volunteers
7. Texas A&M Aggies
8. Ole Miss Rebels
9. South Carolina Gamecocks
10. Arkansas Razorbacks
11. Missouri Tigers
12. Kentucky Wildcats
13. Mississippi State Bulldogs
14. Vanderbilt Commodores

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/cbs-sports-ranks-secs-14-coaching-jobs/

Thoughts?

Maybe we don't have as good a job as we think when we talk about firing coaches all the time???

Reactions: 1 person
Based on recent on-field results and national prestige, I would say UT should be 4th behind Bama, LSU, and Fla.

Auburn is debatable based solely on the Cam Newton days. UGA has a better recruiting base, so I guess that's the angle for them being ahead - certainly can't be based on championships.

Reactions: 2 people
I would flip Tennessee and Auburn. It's hard to argue with the top 4. Those schools have tons of resources as well as a plethora of in-state talent.

Reactions: 3 people
i find it a tad odd that 3 of the top 5 are in the West, and have the Alabama hurdle to get over every year, and for Auburn, they compete directly with Bama for anything/everything related to football.

Bama, not really worth mentioning...could have titled it "what are the 13 next best jobs in the SEC"....

no issue with GA, FL or LSU being ahead of us. in state recruiting is better, resources are at worst a push....and over the last decade+ all have been way more relevant than us.

it's better spot than it was 5-6 years ago.

I would flip Tennessee and Auburn. It's hard to argue with the top 4. Those schools have tons of resources as well as a plethora of in-state talent.

All of those schools have been more successful than UT in the last decade. These lists are all about what have you done lately. If Butch can actually win something important then you will see UT take its rightful position in that list.

It's the winning, baby.

Reactions: 2 people
All of those schools have been more successful than UT in the last decade. These lists are all about what have you done lately. If Butch can actually win something important then you will see UT take its rightful position in that list.

It's the winning, baby.

Can't argue with any of that. We've not been in the hunt for championships like these other schools. Neither has Georgia, though.

Can't argue with any of that. We've not been in the hunt for championships like these other schools. Neither has Georgia, though.

eh, granted. they didn't win enough SEC titles. they won, a lot, though.

UGA hasn't won a National title in 37 years. You would think being number three on that list UGA could have at least managed 1 championship in almost 4 decades considering the amount of talent the state produces. UF should probably be third on that list not UGA. TN and Barn look right though.

And they fired their 145–51 (83–37) coach who was coming off a 9-3 (5-3) season because of it.

UGA hasn't won a National title in 37 years. You would think being number three on that list UGA could have at least managed 1 championship in almost 4 decades considering the amount of talent the state produces. UF should probably be third on that list not UGA. TN and Barn look right though.

no disagreement, but can you think of any real reason why UGA hasn't been more dominant? it's not because of anything but not having a coach that can make it happen there. by all rights, UGA should be a perennial national contender considering all the intrinsic advantages they have....money, check. resources, check. facilities, check. recruiting base, check.

there's zero reason why UGA shouldn't be more than they are......the right coach, and that place could be every bit the program FL, FSU, Bama, Clemson etc....are.

the only reason UGA isn't "elite" is UGA's fault.

According to CBS the TN job is only the 6th best in the SEC. I was surprised they have the TN job ranked below the Barn.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/cbs-sports-ranks-secs-14-coaching-jobs/

Thoughts?

Maybe we don't have as good a job as we think when we talk about firing coaches all the time???

Yeah, that's crap imho. No worse than 4th, ahead of Georgia and Auburn, especially as our in state talent explodes.

i find it a tad odd that 3 of the top 5 are in the West, and have the Alabama hurdle to get over every year, and for Auburn, they compete directly with Bama for anything/everything related to football.

Bama, not really worth mentioning...could have titled it "what are the 13 next best jobs in the SEC"....

no issue with GA, FL or LSU being ahead of us. in state recruiting is better, resources are at worst a push....and over the last decade+ all have been way more relevant than us.

it's better spot than it was 5-6 years ago.

Good thing you used blue font.

no disagreement, but can you think of any real reason why UGA hasn't been more dominant? it's not because of anything but not having a coach that can make it happen there. by all rights, UGA should be a perennial national contender considering all the intrinsic advantages they have....money, check. resources, check. facilities, check. recruiting base, check.

there's zero reason why UGA shouldn't be more than they are......the right coach, and that place could be every bit the program FL, FSU, Bama, Clemson etc....are.

the only reason UGA isn't "elite" is UGA's fault.

Your post sums it up.

Thoughts?

Here's what I would say to that. What would they have ranked the Bama job in 2005? Firing one coach after the other. Impatient fan base with incredibly high expectations. Facilities needed updating. Legitimate in-state rival to recruit against in a relatively low-population state, albeit one that often produces talent in excess of its proportional share. If you were using SDS's criteria, they would've never been able to hire Saban. What made it work? Answer: a **** ton of money, good timing, and a coach who was ready to take on the Bear's legacy.

If UT had judged Butch by year one alone, he wouldn't be here right now. I don't know if Smart will be better than Richt, but he'll get a few years to prove one way or another.

I have a feeling UGA will be missing Richt sooner than later.

Reactions: 8 people

Maybe, but keeping Richt wasn't going to get them SEC championships either. They might end up with some buyer's remorse for Smart, but they gave him a long leash with that 6 year contract.

I had a dinner with a rabid Dawg who was in town on business last week. Not a big booster, but a season tix holder who's father in law is a significant booster. He's usually on whatever bandwagon they're rolling around down there but seemed pretty ambivalent about their prospects to win the East this go round even though they are the expert's favorite. Jury is definitely out.

Maybe, but keeping Richt wasn't going to get them SEC championships either. They might end up with some buyer's remorse for Smart, but they gave him a long leash with that 6 year contract.
That's the thing. They got tired of being close but not getting the cigar. I think TN fans are more patient. Without 2005 and 2008, Fulmer is probably still the coach here now.

I would argue UGA might be #2 ahead of UF and LSU. Tons of recruiting talent right in your back yard, fans are loyal, and Athens > Baton Rouge and Gainesville.

Here's my thoughts. Have at it guys.....

1. Alabama Crimson Tide
2. Florida Gators (Coin flip with LSU. Playing in East tiebreaker)
3. LSU Tigers
4. Georgia Bulldogs (Should be #2 given in state talent but lack of results drops them)
5. Tennessee Volunteers (Coin flip with Auburn. Being big dog in state with rapidly increasing talent level better than being 2nd fiddle in Bama)
6. Auburn Tigers
7. Texas A&M Aggies
8. Arkansas Razorbacks (This is a better job than Ole Miss before the NCAA issues)
9. South Carolina Gamecocks
10. Ole Miss Rebels (May be too high once NCAA gets through with them)
11. Missouri Tigers
12. Kentucky Wildcats
13. Mississippi State Bulldogs
14. Vanderbilt Commodores

VN Store

Back