Butch Jones contract extension talks

Reactions: 6 people
If Currie were to give CBJ an extension prior to the outcome of the 2017 season, then he would be greatly remiss in his responsibilities as AD.

Reactions: 26 people
One gets the impression that this article was written by Butch's agent, then handed off to some pliable online sports reporter to regurgitate.

Reactions: 7 people
If Currie were to give CBJ an extension prior to the outcome of the 2017 season, then he would be greatly remiss in his responsibilities as AD.

Extend the man and give him a bump in pay without altering the buyout, and nothing but good could come from it.

Reactions: 15 people
Agreed. As much as this pains me to say but Butch is going to have to at least beat Muschamp and Mason in the same season before any kind of raise can be discussed.

Its not your decision. Do you not consider that Butch just might be doing what is expected of him by the ones making the decisions?

Reactions: 16 people
In this day and age, it's almost expected for a coach to have a minimum of 4 years... supposedly to make recruits feel more "secure" in their choice.

Pretty much.

Extend him through 2030 and cut the total buyout number (today) in half.

CBJ's agent might be trying to negotiate an extension-- as agents do every year-- but it doesn't mean UT has to do anything about it at the present time. Currie sidestepped the issue quite well. He said he hasn't discussed it and is focused on the upcoming season.

Reactions: 4 people
Please tell me this is a joke. How has Butch Jones earned a raise?

Does it come out of your pocket? I'm talking about a token raise. And as long as the buyout is unaffected, no harm no fowl.

It's about appearances. In not showing support for Butch, an administration would be showing that it does not support Butch. It might be satisfying for some of the "fans" out there with pitchforks, but it would be self-destructive and foolish (especially in regards to recruiting) for an administration to give even the slightest hint that Butch may be on the hot seat at this point in time.

Reactions: 14 people
One gets the impression that this article was written by Butch's agent, then handed off to some pliable online sports reporter to regurgitate.

It does seem that way. But I listen to the Rocky Talk Podcast with Josh Ward and Mike Griffith every day, and Griffith is the biggest Butch apologist I've ever heard. Seriously, at some point during EVERY SHOW, he will go out of his way to bring up all of Butch's "accomplishments".

Reactions: 1 person
Its not your decision. Do you not consider that Butch just might be doing what is expected of him by the ones making the decisions?

Absolutely. And I am just stating my opinion on the matter. And my opinion is, he doesnt deserve a raise.

Reactions: 7 people
Does it come out of your pocket? I'm talking about a token raise. And as long as the buyout is unaffected, no harm no fowl.

It's about appearances. In not showing support for Butch, an administration would be showing that it does not support Butch. It might be satisfying for some of the "fans" out there with pitchforks, but it would be self-destructive and foolish (especially in regards to recruiting) for an administration to give even the slightest hint that Butch may be on the hot seat at this point in time.

Let him go prove himself. He is making very good $ now. Now that he has proved to everyone that he is better than Dooley....get us equal or better than 90s, competing for ships, or even a NY6 bowl

"No harm no fowl". Lol

Reactions: 4 people

So the only way an AD can show support to a HC is too give them a raise? Sorry but I completely disagree. What would be wrong with waiting until this season is over and talk about a raise? If Butch performs better than expected, or right at it, then maybe a small raise would be warranted.

But as a new AD, to simply give Butch a raise for what he produced last season, or showing support, would be foolish in my opinion.

Everybody knows Butch isnt on the hot seat.

Reactions: 2 people
CBJ is under contract until 2020.

I'd like to see him win at least 10 games before giving him an extension.

It's a huge leap of faith if Currie adds years.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-butch-jones-16

Over 70% of VOL fans have that faith. I would be happy to see it happen. It would add add additional stability to the football program. With the recruiting classes for 2018 and 2019 showing great promise, the future looks better than it has in the last 12-15 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Let him go prove himself. He is making very good $ now. Now that he has proved to everyone that he is better than Dooley....get us equal or better than 90s, competing for ships, or even a NY6 bowl

387920-20animated_gif20chuck_norris20dodgeball20thumbs_up.gif

If he is interested in the future of the football program, he must extend it ASAP. To not do so would be a tragic move and Curries first big mistake. Now is not the time to start tearing down the progress which has been made and start this old new coach cycle over again.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back