Win/ Loss comparison

Vol_guy

Phillip Fulmer (2005-2008)

2005: 5–6 (3–5 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2006: 9–4 (5–3 SEC) 2-1 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2007: 10–4 (6–2 SEC) 1-2 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2008: 5–7 (3–5 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

Lane Kiffin & Derek Dooley (2009-2012)

2009: 7–6 (4–4 SEC) 1-2 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2010: 6–7 (3–5 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2011: 5–7 (1–7 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2012: 5–7 (1–7 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

Butch Jones (2013-2016)

2013: 5–7 (2–6 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2014: 7–6 (3–5 SEC) 0-3 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2015: 9–4 (5–3 SEC) 1-2 against (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

2016: 9–4 (4–4 SEC) 2-1 against (Florida, Georgia, Alabama)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
What do you think about butch's record compared to the last 8 seasons?

I think that there are way too many variables to make reasonable comparisons. These coaches have no control over the rest of the conference. Every game can be affected by key injuries or illnesses. Sometimes match ups are simply bad. 17-23 year old people are unpredictable and not always reliable.

IMO Dooley was a disaster, Fulmer did it too long and lost his mojo, Kiffin alone was wrong but including Dad and Ogre made it an interesting attempt (needed a better AD to reel that bunch in though), and Butch is still tbd... recruiting and current staffing are great but the best staff in America certainly was not. Butch is wait and see for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
e200bb8cc50341db59b60bd588f3-are-most-christians-cherry-pickers.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
Some use 2 losses to Vandy. Some use 1st win over UF in over a decade. But, whatever side you're on, you have your justification. No one can deny that we aren't in a better position staff wise, player wise, and record wise than years past.

Reactions: 10 people
What stands out to me is our record against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. 2-1 last year is definitely a step in the right direction.... sick of all the years of going 0-3 against our main rivals

Reactions: 5 people
What stands out to me is our record against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. 2-1 last year is definitely a step in the right direction.... sick of all the years of going 0-3 against our main rivals

Except for the 2016 SEC record, Butch hasn't regressed in any of those measurables. No doubt Kiffin/Dooley was in a free fall and Fulmer had choppy results.

Reactions: 3 people

Going 2-1 against those 3 is nice, but losing to Vandy and SC negates it IMO.

So, you are comparing CBJ to Fulmer's worst years, and the Kiffin/Dooley years, to show CBJ is better than Dooley, but still not as good as Fulmer at his worst?

So, you are comparing CBJ to Fulmer's worst years, and the Kiffin/Dooley years, to show CBJ is better than Dooley, but still not as good as Fulmer at his worst?

The trajectory of the program during Fulmer's final years compared to CBJ's tenure here is completely different.

Reactions: 15 people

Fulmer, even in his worst years, killed it in recruiting. Even when he got fired, he had Taj Boyd committed and think some other high profile linemen tracking a good class. Which always makes me wonder where Fulmer would have taken the club. More than likely, we wouldn't have fallen as far... But we'd be sick and tired of 9 win seasons...which is where we are today

Reactions: 5 people
2 wins vs FL/GA does not = 2 losses to Vandy/SC. You must win the games you are supposed to win and strive to win those you are expected to lose. Inconsistency is a plague.

Also I made 1 mistake and corrected it on my original post.... the 2007 season we were 1-2 against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Sorry for the error

Kiff's losses to UF & Bama in '09 were 2 of the better coaching jobs in the last decade. People were concerned UF would hang 100 on UT that season after Kiffin's smack talk towards UF. UT was never in a position to win that '09 UF game but they kept it to 10.

And then there was Mt. Cody. :(

Reactions: 1 person
Teams are up and down but there is no way to really take that into account.

We had the streak against Bama on their way down and while they were down.

Georgia had Goff and Donnan during that streak.

Spurrior kinda lost his edge at the end and Zook was a gap filler. CUM brought them back.

As for Vandy and others beating us, we were in a spiral downward.

Dooley's 5-19 SEC record isn't too far from Wade's 5-22 season. 2-14 in Dooley's last two years must be a historical worst.

Teams are up and down but there is no way to really take that into account.

We had the streak against Bama on their way down and while they were down.

Georgia had Goff and Donnan during that streak.

Spurrior kinda lost his edge at the end and Zook was a gap filler. CUM brought them back.

As for Vandy and others beating us, we were in a spiral downward.

Naw, GA had Richt for 11 of those 12 years.

2 wins vs FL/GA does not = 2 losses to Vandy/SC. You must win the games you are supposed to win and strive to win those you are expected to lose. Inconsistency is a plague.

Inconsistency definitely a plague. Which is why I think Butch gets benefit of doubt until he proves he can either take the club higher, or show he can't get past 2nd in east. I think this year will be moderate success in 8-9 win area, but with solid staff, good recruiting, and next few years having experience at qb, think have good chance to compete for sec championships

Inconsistency definitely a plague. Which is why I think Butch gets benefit of doubt until he proves he can either take the club higher, or show he can't get past 2nd in east. I think this year will be moderate success in 8-9 win area, but with solid staff, good recruiting, and next few years having experience at qb, think have good chance to compete for sec championships

Butch has been getting some of the best OL recruits in maybe 20 years. If they get/stay healthy then TN will be rolling on offense.

VN Store

Back