Realistically Optimistic Season

dbarker

I try my best to be a realistic Vols fan. Ive always stuck up for UT, but Im not the guy who makes us look bad saying it is our year every year. Lol

HOWEVER, the worst I see us going is 8-4, but I can't help but feel something different about this team. If dormady can be 70% of the QB he was in the albeit regulated, O&W game we may have a shot here. QB who gets the ball out quick and accurate, RB that avg 5.7 yds per carry last year, a more vetted OL, JJ (plent of talented young WRs to step up as #2,3,4 dont forget Josh Smith), talented but raw DL, Kirkland Jumper and a 3rd LB, Wiggins, Abernathy, Kelly, Warrior, Gaulden and other solid CBs. The best Punter in CFB according to the NFL draft analysts....Not saying it is our year, or anything, but this team honestly has more potential than last years.

Last year we young OL, amazing but erratic at times QB drama queen RB (hindsight Kamara should have started), weak secondary besides sutton and kelly, and injuries a plenty.

Rock will fix the injuries, upgraded staff....this team truly could be a sleeper.

What do you all think?

Reactions: 18 people
I try my best to be a realistic Vols fan. Ive always stuck up for UT, but Im not the guy who makes us look bad saying it is our year every year. Lol

HOWEVER, the worst I see us going is 8-4, but I can't help but feel something different about this team. If dormady can be 70% of the QB he was in the albeit regulated, O&W game we may have a shot here. QB who gets the ball out quick and accurate, RB that avg 5.7 yds per carry last year, a more vetted OL, JJ (plent of talented young WRs to step up as #2,3,4 dont forget Josh Smith), talented but raw DL, Kirkland Jumper and a 3rd LB, Wiggins, Abernathy, Kelly, Warrior, Gaulden and other solid CBs. The best Punter in CFB according to the NFL draft analysts....Not saying it is our year, or anything, but this team honestly has more potential than last years.

Last year we young OL, amazing but erratic at times QB drama queen RB (hindsight Kamara should have started), weak secondary besides sutton and kelly, and injuries a plenty.

Rock will fix the injuries, upgraded staff....this team truly could be a sleeper.

What do you all think?

If Jumper is starting at LB, we are in trouble. Don't get me wrong, he plays hard and really improved last year. Yes, he should play some, maybe 10 snaps a game. He is an adequate back-up, but that's it.

Reactions: 3 people
I see a 9-3 team. Losses to Georgia (they're very beatable though), Bama and a team we shouldn't lose to. I actually see us beating LSU as well as Florida in the Swamp.

What do you all think?

At first I thought you must not have been reading the FF lately. If you had, you wouldn't have started this thread.

After I finished reading your post, I think You have been reading the FF and want to say this is our year, but know better, so you started a thread to tell everyone you're not, but you really are.:whistling:

Reactions: 2 people
10-2 SEC East Champs is the realistic goal for this season.

SO much credibility here...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
If Jumper is starting at LB, we are in trouble. Don't get me wrong, he plays hard and really improved last year. Yes, he should play some, maybe 10 snaps a game. He is an adequate back-up, but that's it.

I love how vol fans have so much of a football IQ that we can see a player a few times and know more about them then coaches who see them everyday...it is a pretty special skill for a fanbase to have...

In fact...why do we even have a HC? We could save UT a lot of money if they just left all the decisions up to volnation. :hi:

Reactions: 11 people
I love how vol fans have so much of a football IQ that we can see a player a few times and know more about them then coaches who see them everyday...it is a pretty special skill for a fanbase to have...

In fact...why do we even have a HC? We could save UT a lot of money if they just left all the decisions up to volnation. :hi:

Are u Colton Jumper's Dad? I never said I knew more than the coaches. This is a VolNation message board. It was created for the fan to give their opinions. But, u went out of your way to try to get some "Likes", guess what, I gave u one, AH, congrats. U are so funny

Reactions: 4 people

Most of us have seen Jumper enough in live action to know he's not an every down SEC lb. Get off your high horse.

Reactions: 6 people
There are too many unknowns to expect any better than 9-3. New QB, very little depth at RB, one proven WR, no proven depth at TE, and an OL that has talent, but has looked bad at times. On the DL, you have one consistent player in Vickers, a LB corps that got gashed last year, and several talented players at DB that are better known for giving up big plays than for making them. K and P return, but Evan Berry's health and a new PR make this unit an unknown too. That being said, we have some very good players and I am counting on the coaching changes to make a big difference. They just have to go out and prove it.

Reactions: 4 people
There are too many unknowns to expect any better than 9-3. New QB, very little depth at RB, one proven WR, no proven depth at TE, and an OL that has talent, but has looked bad at times. On the DL, you have one consistent player in Vickers, a LB corps that got gashed last year, and several talented players at DB that are better known for giving up big plays than for making them. K and P return, but Evan Berry's health and a new PR make this unit an unknown too. That being said, we have some very good players and I am counting on the coaching changes to make a big difference. They just have to go out and prove it.

A realistic post! Views what's known to exist. Questions what's about to come. A great wish at the end....

Reactions: 1 person

What do you all think?

I too feel like we will win at least 8 games and win our bowl game.

There is a whiff of that 1998 Season where we do better the year after our perceived "best year in a long time" didn't pan out.

S&C and Coaching upgrades should help a lot. I suspect CBJ has done some introspective soul searching for improving his game day coaching.

Last edited:

What do you all think?

The players are great but the coaches are the problem. Actually only one is. The head coach

The team lost their starting QB, starting RB's, best WR, all American DE, best CB, and a LB that was the heart and soul of the defense. Tuttle and McKenzie have injury problems and the first team we play is known for cut blocks, the OL still hasn't gelled and the last two recruiting classes were mediocre by SEC standards. They play Alabama and Florida away, drew LSU as their rotating SEC West team and Georgia is talent laden and out for revenge. Will Muschamp has never lost to Butch, and Vanderbilt seems to have Butch's number as well.

I want to be optimistic but damn, that is a lot to overcome.

I too feel like we will win at least 8 games and win our bowl game.

There is a whiff of that 1998 Season where we do better the year after our perceived "best year in a long time" didn't pan out.

S&C and Coaching upgrades should help a lot. I suspect CBJ has done some introspective soul searching for improving his game day coaching.

So 4-4 in conference play, sitting third in the SECe again? I fail to see how that's considered progress in year 5.

I bet you think John Kelly will be All SEC, though.

You heard it here first. If he stays healthy QD will not only win the job but will be first team SEC and have a decision to make at the end of the season. He throws one of the best balls I've ever seen. He has that very rare combination of both touch and velocity. Extremely accurate, especially when rolling out. I noticed that the first time I saw him. 10- 2 and win the east.

What do you all think?

We will win 7 or 8 games the GT game could go either way we are a average football program the days of begin elite are gone we accept average here now when if you win 8 games your job is safe.:thud:

VN Store

Back