Who is going to be the second receiver?

PackersVols91

I know Byrd is a popular choice, but I think he'd be a better cb. I think Callaway breaks out this year. I'm thinking 40 catches 700 yards. There is some good young receiver talent with Callaway, Johnson, maybe Williams, and the freshmen.

Reactions: 2 people
I know Byrd is a popular choice, but I think he'd be a better cb. I think Callaway breaks out this year. I'm thinking 40 catches 700 yards. There is some good young receiver talent with Callaway, Johnson, maybe Williams, and the freshmen.

A bigger concern to me is replacing Alvin and Cam on punt returns. We've excelled in that role for the past 3 seasons but now what?
:thud:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 1 person
Someone has to catch the ball other than Jennings, so I think Marquez Callaway will get the ball thrown his way quite a bit. And look for more production from the TE position early on as we look to find more help at WR.

Reactions: 3 people
A bigger concern to me is replacing Alvin and Cam on punt returns. We've excelled in that role for the past 3 seasons but now what?

Tennesseeduke

I think Callaway is the answer at PR and the number 2 WR. Hopefully, Butch doesn't get conservative and puts Josh Smith back there again.

I, also think, if Jordan Murphy qualifies and picks up the offense, quickly, he will give us a lot of catches and yards

I really think it has to be Byrd, but I also think one stark difference of Larry Scott's offense from Debord's will be more of an emphasis on the Tight End position. I hope (and think) Ethan Wolf will have a very solid year. Use the middle of the field!!

Reactions: 2 people

Tennesseeduke

#Berry... also Latrell Williams, Marquez Callaway should be solid too. Didnt we recruit a returner?

Btw, tennesseeduke, Coach Cut has done an awesome job at Duke. They have been in a bowl game every year (I think), he has been there and won his division at least once. Probably, Duke's 2nd greatest football coach behind Spurrier. I wish UT had hired him instead of Dooley.

Reactions: 3 people
It won't surprise me if Josh Smith is the primary punt returner.

He's the safe choice obviously, but he is a serious liability with how injury-prone he's been. I think Callaway has the biggest upside from the limited amount we've seen him back there. I say we give Nigel Warrior a look back there.

I don't care who returns punts as long as the results aren't like last year's first. TN blows out Appy had Cam not coughed up that gift.

Reactions: 4 people
He's the safe choice obviously, but he is a serious liability with how injury-prone he's been. I think Callaway has the biggest upside from the limited amount we've seen him back there. I say we give Nigel Warrior a look back there.

"Safe" with a fumble to his credit. That ship has sailed imo.

Byrd, hands down. He's not moving to defense. He'll be our slot. It's Byrd imo. Callaway and Brandon Johnson will round out the WR rotation.

I don't care who returns punts as long as the results aren't like last year's first. TN blows out Appy had Cam not coughed up that gift.

This IS the key for a punt returner. Bad hands can regroup on kickoffs but PR's MUST have calmness and great hands to handle the ball safely FIRST.... and that's what a good coach is looking for FIRST in a PR.... I don't care how fast, shifty, or laterally quick a PR is he MUST FIRST be able to handle the pressure.,,,SOOO.,,,we may have to be CONSERVATIVE as one called it and have JS handle the punts....especially at the first of the season....give me a reliable PR any day over a dynamic one that has trouble cleanly giving us possession. As you said the whole game can and WILL pivot on a botched punt return..,,I hate them...worst play in football.... JMO of course.,,.

VN Store

Back