Ranking major teams by prestige- SI

We are coming out of our worst run.

I've got no problem with Butch being the HC and Currie being the AD that gets credit for restoring order to the SEC.

Reactions: 3 people
OP's quote is comparing how Tennessee has changed in their tiered rankings from the original article in 2007 to this version, ten years later.

Tennessee was unseated as a King back in the 2012 article, linked here: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/07/11/kings-barons-knights-peasants-mailbag

Ten years ago, LSU was coming off its first outright SEC championship in 15 years, having upset Phillip Fulmer's second-ranked Tennessee squad. Four months after this column ran, the Tigers knocked off the Vols in Atlanta again en route to their second BCS championship in five years. While LSU solidified itself as a bona fide national power, Tennessee fired Fulmer a year later and sank further into a decade-long bout of mediocrity.

So we really haven't moved at all.

The original article (from 2007) even talked about us not being a king at all, https://www.si.com/college-football/2007/08/08/program-pecking-order-bcs-teams-hierarchy

* Tennessee is the lone school in the group that caused any hesitation. The Vols would have been a no-brainer 10 years ago, but they have fallen off the map a bit lately. In the end, I figured those 100 fans in Montana still know "Rocky Top," the checkered end zones and that Peyton Manning went there.

Last edited:
We about to be King Kong! Jumping from stadium to stadium leaving destruction and sorrow behind us and right in front of the face of bama wagon fans ! Who's hot who's not ? Doesn't matter bc we gonna rise to the top ! Bama we coming for that number one spot ! All your players get let go by the cops but when we smash you in Tuscaloosa, your reign will stop! Go VOLS! Screw the rest

Reactions: 4 people
We about to be King Kong! Jumping from stadium to stadium leaving destruction and sorrow behind us and right in front of the face of bama wagon fans ! Who's hot who's not ? Doesn't matter bc we gonna rise to the top ! Bama we coming for that number one spot ! All your players get let go by the cops but when we smash you in Tuscaloosa, your reign will stop! Go VOLS! Screw the rest

this post reads exactly like Macho Man Randy Savage, and I love that

Reactions: 7 people
We about to be King Kong! Oh yeeaah!! Jumping from stadium to stadium leaving destruction and sorrow behind us and right in front of the face of bama wagon fans ! OH YEAH!! Who's hot who's not ? OH YEEAAHH!!!Doesn't matter bc we gonna rise to the top ! Bama we coming for that number one spot! WE GONNA TAKE IT OH YEEAAHH!!! All your players get let go by the cops but when we smash you in Tuscaloosa, your reign will stop! OH YEAHHH!!Go VOLS! Screw the rest

Macho manned up...

All day long Mink!

Go Vols!

Vanderbilt is a Peasant. I'm sure it's the first time someone has said that to their face.

When all is said and done, the Top 10 All-Time football programs, counting wins, winning %, bowls, bowl wins, conference & National Titles are:

Notre Dame
Nebraska
Alabama
Southern Cal
Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State
Texas
Oklahoma
Tennessee

Reactions: 11 people
When all is said and done, the Top 10 All-Time football programs, counting wins, winning %, bowls, bowl wins, conference & National Titles are:

Notre Dame
Nebraska
Alabama
Southern Cal
Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State
Texas
Oklahoma
Tennessee

Here is what I got

I included vacated wins into the total

1. Michigan 935-334-36. 11 NC
2. Ohio St. 912-322-53. 8 NC
3. Alabama. 897-316-44. 14 NC
4. Notre Dame. 896-321-42. 13 NC
5. Nebraska. 889-373-40. 5 NC
6. Texas. 880-354-33. 4 NC
7. Oklahoma. 872-321-53. 7 NC
8. Penn St. 867-384-42. 2 NC
9. USC 837-337-54. 10 NC
10. Tennessee. 829-373-53. 5 NC

11. Georgia. 795-418-54

Reactions: 2 people
Michigan is not elite.
1 NC (shared) since 1948.
1-11 (2-14) v Ohio State.
3rd in division back to back with a $9 million HC.
Nebraska has more wins v Power 5 teams than anyone else over last 50 years.
Nebraska's '71 and '95 teams are recognized as 2 of the best 3 all-time.
Michigan started playing in 1879, about 50 years before Neyland arrived and real football started here. And we're only about 100 wins behind them.
All hat, no cattle. Always fold in the end after eating cupcakes all year.

Reactions: 6 people
Michigan is not elite.
Michigan started playing in 1879, about 50 years before Neyland arrived and real football started here. And we're only about 100 wins behind them.

Yea seems like Mich started while the civil war was going on lol

Michigan is not elite.

You're right, how could we have missed it? The winningest program in college football history is definitely not elite. Why, that's just crazy talk.

Bama, ND and USC will always be elite. They have more prestige than every one else because they have had more success longer.

I could possibly add Fla ST. and Miam but they're not as traditionally long as the others. We are just outside of those programs.

Florida State gets too much love. The "path of least resistance" ACC keeps them higher than they really are. They'd be a perennial 4-game loser in the SEC.

Florida State gets too much love. The "path of least resistance" ACC keeps them higher than they really are. They'd be a perennial 4-game loser in the SEC.

Not buying the "If they were in the SEC" line anymore. Missouri came into the SEC swinging and A&M overachieved based on my expectations. Missouri has fallen off since then but most expected them to fall on their face right out of the gate. A&M doesn't have the coaching to be great. If A&M had a good coach then they would have a couple of SEC championships to their name.
Florida State would be a top 5 SEC program. Not saying they would get Alabama or LSU consistently but they would have 10 or more wins on a regular bases.

Last edited:
Michigan is not elite.

Michigan is an elite program, but I will say that Bo Schembechler is, without a doubt, the most overrated figure of all time in major American sports, college or pro.

If you listen to Michigan fans talk about him, you'd think he's Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Nick Saban, and Tom Osborne all rolled into one.

The man never won a single national title, went 2-8 in Rose Bowls, and 5-12 overall in bowl games. He did have a good record against Ohio State and has a slight edge over Woody Hayes (5-4-1), which meant he won lots of conference titles when the Big 10 was a basically a 2-team league, but that's it.

And like so many great players and coaches who played and coached at Michigan, even he's an Ohio native. :)

Here is what I got

I included vacated wins into the total

1. Michigan 935-334-36. 11 NC
2. Ohio St. 912-322-53. 8 NC
3. Alabama. 897-316-44. 14 NC
4. Notre Dame. 896-321-42. 13 NC
5. Nebraska. 889-373-40. 5 NC
6. Texas. 880-354-33. 4 NC
7. Oklahoma. 872-321-53. 7 NC
8. Penn St. 867-384-42. 2 NC
9. USC 837-337-54. 10 NC
10. Tennessee. 829-373-53. 5 NC

11. Georgia. 795-418-54

Alabama only has 14? That list is gonna piss all those bubbas and bubbettes off wondering where the other 30 are isn't it?

Well... I sincerely hope it does anyway.

Last two thirds of that post, I do believe mink was rapping!

My only beef with the list is Clemson being Kings. They have another 5 or so 10+ win seasons to go before they've earned being mentioned with that group. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 6 people
Bama, ND and USC will always be elite. They have more prestige than every one else because they have had more success longer.

I could possibly add Fla ST. and Miam but they're not as traditionally long as the others. We are just outside of those programs.

If you are gonna go that route, you might as well add Army to the list.

IMO the following programs should consistently be in the top 20 every single year

Alabama
Oklahoma
USC
Michigan
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Tennessee
Penn State
Florida
Nebraska
Florida State
Miami