Realistically speaking -

TNJOKER

I don't think this year will be a undefeated season, however, I do think we will do better by a game or so this season. 9-3 or 10-2 is my best guess, that is if injuries don't screw us and coaches coach like they should instead of playing a conservative game.

Worst case I see a stagnated game winning (8—4) or 1 game worse regular season . Jones seems to want to win or at least improve and get to Atlanta a second time this season.

Last season was just bad-but-i hope the newcomers from last season got some valuable playing time and will use that to their own advantage, as well as for the team.

GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
6a00e5503379c688340120a6ac5519970c-800wi.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
I did not watch many if any of Penn state last season... But didn't they beat Ohio?

They best tOSU, Mich State, and Wisconsin in the championship game. Pre-season they're ranked 5-10ish. Finished last year as #7.

Hopefully they're improved because Shoop had built them up.

They best tOSU, Mich State, and Wisconsin in the championship game. Pre-season they're ranked 5-10ish. Finished last year as #7.

Interesting. I was told by most of VN that Franklin was a clown who couldn't coach. Looks like he's doing pretty good for a guy who took over the worst PR gig imaginable.

Reactions: 9 people
Really, if we can stay healthy, I think we should be pretty good. Even if we are 9-3 that might be enough to get us to the SEC championship. Everyone talks about how hard our schedule is, which is fair, but some of the more important games we get to play at home this year. I think it's good to have Georgia at home, as well as Vandy and USCe, so we can get some revenge on them. I also think it is nice to get Missouri and UK on the road, because we will likely win those games either way. Florida on the road hurts, and LSU at home won't be easy either, but I think we have at least a decent shot at both of those games. Alabama will beat us there but that's ok. Should take care of our non-conference schedule relatively easily, though GT is a challenge at least, but they aren't as good as VT was last year.

Reactions: 1 person

OSU and WI, ok. Sparty?? Not last year, they were garbage. And I guess USC hanging a bowl record on them just gets chalked up to what exactly? I want to believe in our DC, and there were plenty of times last year that I would have run through that brick wall with them, but the proof is in the pudding. Injuries or not, this year is on him

Reactions: 2 people
OSU and WI, ok. Sparty?? Not last year, they were garbage. And I guess USC hanging a bowl record on them just gets chalked up to what exactly? I want to believe in our DC, and there were plenty of times last year that I would have run through that brick wall with them, but the proof is in the pudding. Injuries or not, this year is on him

Yes, I'm not sure how MSU slipped into my post.

PSU was 7-6 in Shoop's two years as DC and then they were 11-3 after he left. I hope that their improvement had more to do with the players that he developed and left behind rather than his exit.

I wonder if Shoop will try to be too cerebral for what TN requires. Sometimes hitting the opponent hard in the mouth is more important than trying to out think them. I'm glad that Brady Hoke brings his decades of experience to the table.

I have no problem seeing Hoke speak up in coach meetings on d line management within Shoop's system, pointing out personnel issues verses system. I'm hoping he not only turns out to be a defensive secret weapon but stands in as a vocal leader the on defense the upperclassmen have failed to produce.

I think we'll do well as long as the team is coached and plays with a "scorched Earth" mentality. I'd like to see them try to beat everyone by 100pts. No mercy type of play-calling and execution with discipline.

Interesting. I was told by most of VN that Franklin was a clown who couldn't coach. Looks like he's doing pretty good for a guy who took over the worst PR gig imaginable.

What baffles me is that was being said before Dooley was fired.

Reactions: 3 people
From VN Dreamers: Fahr Butch. Trust UT admin to make a home run hire. LOL. Give the new coach 3 years to lose and replace recruits and players who transfer, acclimate to the SEC. Get players to adjust to new offensive and defensive systems. Maybe by year 4 he can win 9 or 10, beat Bama and win the East. That will show up the Sunshine Pumpers and vindicate the ever miserable VN Dreamers.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think this year will be a undefeated season, however, I do think we will do better by a game or so this season. 9-3 or 10-2 is my best guess, that is if injuries don't screw us and coaches coach like they should instead of playing a conservative game.

Worst case I see a stagnated game winning (8—4) or 1 game worse regular season . Jones seems to want to win or at least improve and get to Atlanta a second time this season.

Last season was just bad-but-i hope the newcomers from last season got some valuable playing time and will use that to their own advantage, as well as for the team.

GBO!

Last season, was actually a one loss regular season team and then we lose to Bama again in the SECCG for our 2nd loss of the season.
A & M was our game but too many turn overs. One play could given us the victory. Coaching cost us the USC game. Injuries cost us the Vandy game.
Very close to being a one loss regular season team.

This upcoming season, I see us losing to LSU, Florida & Alabama. Those are predictions that are highly likely to happen.
I doudt it, BUT we could lose another game, IF, at some point in the season, the passing game struggles and the run game & defense doesn't step up and give us that victory.
When one phase of the game is not doing well, the other phases need to make big plays to compensate and lead us to victory.

In the SEC, inexperience at QB is hard to overcome. We will rely heavily on the running game and a reliable backup to Kelly appears to be questionable. Teams will load up and make UT pass the ball. If we can't...

I think we'll be better next year, but this year, when one considers the above plus a tough draw on the schedule from the west, I see 7 wins being our ceiling. 6-6 would not surprise me.

GT is a challenge at least, but they aren't as good as VT was last year.

Well, our roster is not as good as our's was last year either. So, that makes us somewhat even,right????

I think we'll do well as long as the team is coached and plays with a "scorched Earth" mentality. I'd like to see them try to beat everyone by 100pts. No mercy type of play-calling and execution with discipline.

Agreed. My thing is.. They don't need to let off the throttle if they get up by 20.. That's always bit us in the but.. Oklahoma.. Need I say more.

Push the pedal to the metal and ride on to the sunset.

That has always been one of but he's down fall.. It is nice to have a coach that throws the human aspect out there but still.. At the end of the season w-l and gameplay is what most fans look at. Am I wrong on that?

In the SEC, inexperience at QB is hard to overcome. We will rely heavily on the running game and a reliable backup to Kelly appears to be questionable. Teams will load up and make UT pass the ball. If we can't...

I think we'll be better next year, but this year, when one considers the above plus a tough draw on the schedule from the west, I see 7 wins being our ceiling. 6-6 would not surprise me.

In the event that they load up on defense, then we throw short passes to Wolf & to Byrd & Smith in the slot. Use the short passing game as our run game. Halfback pass, reverse, q.b. run.......... option

VN Store

Back