NHL outdoor game at Neyland

LA has outdoor ice skating rinks during the holidays so I assume it is possible to do this. I would not attend mainly because I'd get a better view in more comfort at home.

Oh heck, why not just keep it in Nashville, everyone knows what a nice stadium candyland has...:birgits_giggle:

vanderbilt-university-football-2008-season-gameday-at-vanderbilt-stadium-van-f-2008-00046lg.jpg

I personally detest outdoor hockey. The Winter Classic is a waste of time IMO. Would be good for the area to feed their recent appetite for hockey.

It makes as much sense as scheduling the NCAA football championship in Saskatoon Stadium in Saskatchewan. Thankfully neither will happen during my lifetime.

Why not Bristol??? Bristol would have SOOO Many more seats, and would help us beat Michigans record of hosting an NHL Game at 105

As popular as the Preds are right now, I'm not sure they could fill Neyland. Just a different sports demographic compared to the northern events.

Preds would be much better off playing in the Titans' place.

As popular as the Preds are right now, I'm not sure they could fill Neyland. Just a different sports demographic compared to the northern events.

Preds would be much better off playing in the Titans' place.

I know some don't like the outdoor games, but I have grown to enjoy how they are doing them. But they are done in places with cold weather. Nashville doesn't get that cold. I don't think it is feasible anywhere in Tennessee.

I don't think Predators fans would want it being done in Knoxville. I remember when the earliest Nashville hockey fans got the Knights franchise in the ECHL. They had a stronger road following in year 1 than the Erie and Johnstown clubs combined. Those folks were determined to impress the NHL when expansion was considered. The first time they came to play the Cherokees, everybody knew where exactly they were. The next they filled a section. The next time, 3 sections. And that wasn't just coming to Knoxville, that was every other ECHL venue. Nobody thought that support base would last, and it would die off sooner or later, but it didn't. And I guarantee you the loudest fans at Predators games are those people.

And 95% of those fans live in and around Nashville. No offense to local Predator fans who might want this to happen, but there is a big reason why that team isn't called the Tennessee Predators. Those Nashville fans are the reason that organization exists.

So, if it can happen, it needs to be in Nashville for the fans who dedicated their time and busted their asses to turn Nashville into a hockey town. Having it in Neyland is a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 person
The folks at Nissan Stadium have only had the grass in decent shape for the past couple of years. I'd prefer that they not host an event that will likely tear it up again.

With Neyland's recent turf issues, I'd imagine the same thought process should apply.

Just outta curiosity where does the UT hockey team play?

Unless something has changed, UT doesn't really have a hockey team. It is more of a hockey club. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the present players were on the team in 1991, the last time I saw them play.

I assume they play wherever the Ice Bears play. If that is still the coliseum, it isn't regulation size ice. But the ice chalet is suppose to be. To the best of my knowledge, that is the only two places they have played in Knoxville.

VN Store

Back