Over/Under 7.5 wins (ESPN)

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee: 7.5

Aschoff: No one will be picking this Tennessee team to win the East, but there could be positive surprises along the way. Losing Joshua Dobbs and not having a true, go-to receiver hurts, but that defense should be much better than what we saw in November. OVER

Khan: They have quality young QBs competing for Josh Dobbs’ old job (Jarrett Guarantano and Quinten Dormady) and a favorable schedule in the first half of the year. There are key defensive pieces to replace but Butch Jones and staff have continuously stocked the roster talent through good recruiting. Look for them to improve on their .500 conference record from last season. OVER

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/129367/picking-overunders-for-sec-east-team-win-totals

How I see it

Wins: Indiana State, UMass, SC, UK, Southern Miss, Mizzou, Vandy

Toss ups: GT, FLA, UGA

Losses: Bama, LSU

That's 7 wins w/o the toss ups, so I can see getting the over

Reactions: 2 people
How I see it

I'd put USCe into the toss-up pile until CBJ beats Muschamp.

Reactions: 5 people
How I see it

I'd put USCe into the toss-up pile until CBJ beats Muschamp.

Agreed. And I'd put Ga Tech in the Win column, because it's not going to be nearly as close as some think.

I'd also put LSU in the toss-up category; our only likely loss this year is Bama. Would be different if we played LSU early, but our QB and RBs will have plenty of experience by the time LSU rolls around in November.

So flip-flopping USCe and Ga Tech (USCe to toss-up, Ga Tech to a W), and moving LSU to the toss-up column, that gives us 7 likely wins, 1 likely loss, and 4 games that could reasonably go either way. If we split those, 2 and 2, we end the regular season at 9-3.

I'd definitely take the over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
And I'd put Ga Tech in the Win column, because it's not going to be nearly as close as some think.

I'd also put LSU in the toss-up category; only Bama is a likely loss this year. Would be different if we played LSU early, but our QB and offense will have plenty of experience by the time LSU rolls around in November.

So flip-flopping USCe and Ga Tech (USCe to toss-up, Ga Tech to a W), and moving LSU to the toss-up column, that gives us 7 likely wins, 1 likely loss, and 4 games that could reasonably go either way. If we split those, 2 and 2, we end the regular season at 9-3.

Agreed!!!:)

Agreed. And I'd put Ga Tech in the Win column, because it's not going to be nearly as close as some think.

I'd also put LSU in the toss-up category; our only likely loss this year is Bama. Would be different if we played LSU early, but our QB and RBs will have plenty of experience by the time LSU rolls around in November.

I can see the WM argument (to an extent), but at some point its gotta happen. I think GT will be close. Not APSU close, but close (7-10 points). LSU is just always stacked on defense, and until we beat a team from the West, we can make the same excuse as the SC one...

I can see the WM argument (to an extent), but at some point its gotta happen. I think GT will be close. Not APSU close, but close (7-10 points). LSU is just always stacked on defense, and until we beat a team from the West, we can make the same excuse as the SC one...

All good points, Yankee. We're seeing the same thing, just from somewhat different angles. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out. Can't wait till the season starts. Go Vols!

p.s. All this thinking about the over/under has got me eager to make an early prediction. I'm gonna say we go 9-3 in the regular season this year, 5-3 in the SEC, with the three losses to some combination of Bama, FL, UGa, LSU, and USCe. There is a very, very small chance we get to Atlanta, particularly if we beat both FL and UGa. Most likely, though, the one of FL and UGa that beats us is the one that nails down the East, at either 6-2 or 7-1 in conference.

Naturally, I could change my prediction during the summer ... lot can happen in 100 days.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I'm gonna say 9 wins. We will have a stout oline and dline will be better as a group. Our running game will still be strong and I expect the passing game to be much improved. Our linebackers should be decent outside of Kirkland. If our defensive backfield improves like I would hope, then I can see us making a solid run in the east. Our special teams should be great again as usual also. Hopefully we can catch a break with the injury bug this year to see what kind of coach butch really is.

Reactions: 1 person
9 or 10 "should" make sense, given where the opposing programs are at.

I ll go over with 8.

How I see it

I would put wins at: Indiana, UMASS, UK, SM and Mizzou

Toss ups: UGA, UF, Vandy and GT

Losses: Alabama, LSU and SC

This season has the potential to be a severe letdown.

I would put wins at: Indiana, UMASS, UK, SM and Mizzou

Toss ups: UGA, UF, Vandy and GT

Losses: Alabama, LSU and SC

This season has the potential to be a severe letdown.

Why are you so down on this season compared to last year? Just curious, not saying you are wrong.

15-0, beating Bama twice.

But seriously I see 8-9 wins. Toss ups including the usual suspects of Florida and UGA, with the addition of LSU. Bama is a likely loss. I don't see a repeat of the Vandy and South Carolina fiascos. Surely our late season injury situation won't be a repeat of last year's weirdness.

Surely.

Over...IMHO 8-9 wins, regular season...gotta believe, with this staff, it's gonna be better than the experts think...:)

GO VOLS!

Honestly? I have lost faith in Butch's coaching abilities. I hope I am wrong.

That is a fair point. But I am curious to see what he can do this year with no injuries and no excuses. You win games in the trenches and we should be solid there. The offense will be set up perfectly for someone like qd: time in the pocket, great tight ends, a very strong young receiving group, and a strong run game! Defensive backs are where I have questions but I honestly look to see an improvement this year barring injury.

That is a fair point. But I am curious to see what he can do this year with no injuries and no excuses. You win games in the trenches and we should be solid there. The offense will be set up perfectly for someone like qd: time in the pocket, great tight ends, a very strong young receiving group, and a strong run game! Defensive backs are where I have questions but I honestly look to see an improvement this year barring injury.

I can see your point. Without the injuries and with the staff upgrades, it could be a great season. Its just hard to feel good about that after seeing the SC and Vandy games last year.

Injuries are just part of it, he has to have players ready to go when someone goes down. I get years 1 and 2 but he's been here a while now, the talent behind the starters should be there and if it's either not developed or not panning out, then that falls on him.

What I would like to see this year is better in-game coaching. Is he going to panic if we're up 4 at Florida with 3-4 minute left? He seems to tense up and pray the clock goes faster. He's good when he's playing from behind but playing with the lead can sometimes be a challenge.

I'll take the over. I like Team 121 roster. Lots of experience on this team. Plus a few additions to the two deep rotation. Few guys I think will make an impact this year will be Bituli, Warrior, Callaway and Wiggins. On offense I think we will be more well rounded and more balanced. O-Line IMO will be a strength. QD is as good as any other QB in the East. Kelly will be a workhorse for us and I think Chandler will come in and help immediately. Our Wr's our all athletic and big with a few that have game breaking speed. Ethan Wolf is back for his senior season, so I'm expecting big things from. Besides OC Scott has mentioned he wants to get the TE's more involved.

Defense I think as an overall group we will be better than last year. Tuttle and Big Mac are back for there 3rd go around and eventually some luck has to go there way. Taylor and Kongbo will do enough to keep QB's uncomfortable in the pocket. So the front 4 will be a solid group. Not to mention Vickers, Phillips, etc.

Linebacker will be questionable after Kirkland. I think Bituli will come onto the scene and make a name for himself but he's still an unknown. Jumper is a solid back up. Sapp and Austin Smith will return and hopefully will be healthy enough to contribute and make an impact. Plus the new comers in Ignont and Reed. Secondary my starters are Wiggins and Martin at CB and Warrior and TKjr at Safety. Include Gaulden if we are in the 4-2-5 at nickel. With that said, the guys behind them all have some sort of experience , Buchannan and Mosley to name a few.

Special Teams we have experience - Daniel, Medley and Berry.

With all that being said we have some new additions also to the coaching staff but feel they're all an improvement (Hoke, Wells, Warren, Scott (unknown), The Rock, Canales, etc). Jones will obviously need to improve on game day as a coach. If he does that and we don't get hit again with the injury bug then this team has a good of a chance to make it to Atlanta than anyone else in the East (UGA & FL).

8-4 imo. We beat a team we are not favored to beat and lose to one we should beat. It is the Butch Jones way.

VN Store

Back