Serious ? about IF Butch were fired.

hmhawk

Official cranky old goat
In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

In almost every thread that a losing or even 8-5 season should get Butch fired. I was just wondering about the economics of it happening. The buy out would be huge and a new coach of the caliber wanted would cost closer to 5 million than 4. Just asking. It's the off season and I need something to read.

After this season, the buy out for Jones goes down to six million. That is if Jones doesn't find another job. Otherwise, it would offset. If Jones got paid 2 million a year at another school, we actually wouldn't owe him anything.

After this season, the buy out for Jones goes down to six million. That is if Jones doesn't find another job. Otherwise, it would offset. If Jones got paid 2 million a year at another school, we actually wouldn't owe him anything.

Thanx. The money ain't as bad as I thought. Finding the replacement won't be easy.

Are people still living in the fantasy land where Tennessee spends a ton of money to hire a proven coach? hahahahaha bless your hearts..

Reactions: 47 people
If you think jones is going anywhere anytime soon with the recruiting class he is putting together currently you are off your rocker.

Reactions: 42 people
If worse comes to worse, Art Briles is still unemployed.
And could probably be had without breaking the bank.

Reactions: 2 people
Are people still living in the fantasy land where Tennessee spends a ton of money to hire a proven coach? hahahahaha bless your hearts..

This is what I'm afraid of. Whether Butch is the answer or not, I'm afraid our program will be set back a couple of years due to not spending good money on a proven coach. They'll settle for someone similar to Butch that'll produce the same results we already have.

It's basically a lose situation either way.

If CBJ was fired our stupid administration would probably give the job to Larry Scott.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
its difficult to let him go with his recruiting success. However his in game coaching is lackluster to say the least. I don't think that we let him go, however is we were to lose 6-8 games this season (I don't see that happening BTW) then he could absolutely be released in the offseason.

Thanx. The money ain't as bad as I thought. Finding the replacement won't be easy.

Bingo. The hard part is finding a coach that can get us to the promised land...... Winning a NC.

All thie discussions about what we want has gone off the rails.

We want and expect NCs. It's that simple.

This is a reload year due to the QB change, the expectations don't go away due to a new QB, it just puts more on the coaching.

Have they done their job training the guys for 121?

I like our chances.

Put it together Butch.

Reactions: 3 people
its difficult to let him go with his recruiting success. However his in game coaching is lackluster to say the least. I don't think that we let him go, however is we were to lose 6-8 games this season (I don't see that happening BTW) then he could absolutely be released in the offseason.

Fulmer was bragging about his top 5 class in '08 and he was still let go!

Unless Butch goes 6 and 6 he won't be fired this year. IMO

I'm proud he's our coach. He has a lot of passion for Tennessee and I don't think you'll find a harder recruiter. I know at some point it has to translate to W's but I say give him 2 more years regardless of what this season looks like. I like stability at the head coach position. Let him find out what works and doesn't work and let him make corrections(we know he has the passion) In life you live and learn. Sometimes it takes longer for others. We knew what we got when we hired Butch. (A winner but not in the SEC) now he's playing Alabama, UGA and Florida every year. Let's ride with our coach. I believe he will figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
My hope is for a 12 win season and some foolish Midwestern school swoops in and hires him away! He is a good recruiter but a horrible coach. There are others out there that could do both. One is a former UT quarterback that is now retired from the NFL and delivering Papa John's pizza to make ends meet. Another is a former UT clipboard holder that is offensive coordinator for the NFL's Lions. There are other options with ORANGE roots and I hope Currie would move in that direction.

Reactions: 1 person
Monday through the day before gameday, he's easily top 10. On gameday, he's one of the worst in the P5.

Reactions: 4 people
If CBJ was fired our stupid administration would probably give the job to Larry Scott.

I think that could make a lot worse hires IF it happened. I think Larry Scott will become a solid head coach. But I am not sure Tennessee would be the best choice for him.

I think that could make a lot worse hires IF it happened. I think Larry Scott will become a solid head coach. But I am not sure Tennessee would be the best choice for him.

Not as his first job. Kirby Smart is having to learn on the fly.

My hope is for a 12 win season and some foolish Midwestern school swoops in and hires him away! He is a good recruiter but a horrible coach. There are others out there that could do both. One is a former UT quarterback that is now retired from the NFL and delivering Papa John's pizza to make ends meet. Another is a former UT clipboard holder that is offensive coordinator for the NFL's Lions. There are other options with ORANGE roots and I hope Currie would move in that direction.

The guy delivering pizzas for Papa John's ain't coming,,,sorry. The OC for the Lions is working to become a HC in the NFL. Oh by the way,the guy that looks like a murderous doll ain't coming either.
Butch is going anywhere till at least after 2018 if then. Like some have said,if y'all think the administration will offer a truckload of money to get a coach that y'all want,,,,well I'm sorry for ya. Plus I don't have much faith in their abilities to find a coach that's guaranteed to be better than Butch. He has his faults and we all know it but the coaching pool is hit or miss for a few years.

Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back