Looking at our DB's.

EricberryFAN

GO VOLS MAN!
What do you guys think the depth chart looks like?

Safety

Todd Kelly Jr- SR
Evan Berry- SR
Micah Abernathy- JR
Nigel Warrior- SO
Maliek Gray- FR

CB/Nickel

Justin Martin- SR
Emmanuel Mosely- SR
Shaq Wiggins- SR
D.J. Henderson- SR
Rashaan Gaulden- RS JR
Baylen Buchanan- SO
Marquill Osborne- SO
Cheyenne Labruzza- FR
Theo Jackson- FR
Terrell Bailey- FR
Shawn Shamburger- FR

We are deeper than I thought at DB:rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
SS- Todd Kelly
- Micah Abernathy/Maliek Gray

FS- Nigel Warrior
- Evan Berry

CB1- Shaq Wiggins
- Emmanuel Mosely

Nickel- Rashaan Gaulden
- Terrell Bailey/D.J. Henderson

CB2- Justin Martin
- Baylen Buchanan/Cheyenne Labruzza

Here's a shot in the dark.

Reactions: 6 people
It is good depth on paper, but we need those guys to perform at a high level to be successful in the secondary. Last season, as we all know, was atrocious. They would show glimpses of being great and then look like they have never played a down of football. Building consistency will be key for the secondary.

Also, I think a big part of how successful our secondary will be depends on the contribution of Martin and Wiggins. If those two can make significant impacts we will be pretty solid. If not, it might be rough moving everyone around trying to find the right pieces to the puzzle. However, I do think Coach Warren will have the secondary vastly improved from last year. He was a fantastic addition to our coaching staff. Not only does he appear to be coaching the players up correctly, the players and recruits love him and rave about him, which has already led to recruiting success.

Reactions: 1 person
It is good depth on paper, but we need those guys to perform at a high level to be successful in the secondary. Last season, as we all know, was atrocious. They would show glimpses of being great and then look like they have never played a down of football. Building consistency will be key for the secondary.

Also, I think a big part of how successful our secondary will be depends on the contribution of Martin and Wiggins. If those two can make significant impacts we will be pretty solid. If not, it might be rough moving everyone around trying to find the right pieces to the puzzle. However, I do think Coach Warren will have the secondary vastly improved from last year. He was a fantastic addition to our coaching staff. Not only does he appear to be coaching the players up correctly, the players and recruits love him and rave about him, which has already led to recruiting success.

Agreed. I hope they can learn how to shed WR blocks and stop the outside run this season. I think Wiggins will help out tremendously on one side.

Mosely and Martin still give me nightmares. Hopefully new DB coach can get more out of them than WM.

Reactions: 3 people
I think we are a couple of injuries away from playing freshmen again. Not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know that we have a "Shutdown" corner on our team but not a bad group if they communicate and play smart.

What about Osborne?

I could of sworn I added him. I just left him out when I was sorting through the players. Good catch.

I actually think he makes the Nickel rotation.

Nickel- Rashaan Gaulden
- Marquill Osborn/Terrell Bailey/D.J. Henderson

Last edited:
SS- Todd Kelly
- Micah Abernathy/Maliek Gray

FS- Nigel Warrior
- Evan Berry

CB1- Shaq Wiggins
- Emmanuel Mosely

Nickel- Rashaan Gaulden
- Terrell Bailey/D.J. Henderson

CB2- Justin Martin
- Baylen Buchanan/Cheyenne Labruzza

Here's a shot in the dark.

This may have been posted by someone else in another thread, but I heard on the radio today that Wiggins is visiting Miss St. in the next few days. He has a relationship with their D coordinator. I hope we can hold onto him.

Warrior and Osborne are the 2 DB's I'm most excited to see on the field this year. The both have the potential to be beasts.

This may have been posted by someone else in another thread, but I heard on the radio today that Wiggins is visiting Miss St. in the next few days. He has a relationship with their D coordinator. I hope we can hold onto him.

This is true. He's transferred for his D coordinator before

safety think will see TK and nigel listed as starters. abernathy will see his fair share of playing time to. hopefully berry gets in there as well

corner if wiggins stays will see martin wigginns and moseley get there share of reps

nickel is gaulden with buchannon and osborne backing up

Abernathy is our biggest playmaker coming back. He will start. I went over this in another thread.

Reactions: 2 people
I am really hoping the new DB coach will impart a new mindset to these guys. In addition ...

1. We have multiple seniors on that list.

2. Guys like Osborne, Warrior, and Buchanan were playing as true freshmen last year. Now they are not.

3. And yet ... y'all know we occasionally we get a true freshman who is the best guy available, a Cam Sutton. I am thinking about Labruzza -- but no pressure.

Last edited:
I swear we see this post once a month.. and still people leave out Abernathy.. yall are bat **** crazy!

This. Abernathy is a hunter. He is always near the ball and is a BIG hitter. I'm not worried about our safeties or nickels. But I am highly skeptical of our cbs until they prove me wrong.

VN Store

Back