Little Known Peyton Manning Story

pualsline

poakley@safeoak.com
sorry if already posted. I did a quick search and didn't see it.

Link to the story

Peyton’s next-to-last year, the Broncos were facing the Dolphins in Denver and the whole game was a struggle for them,” Hannah said. “I called back two Denver touchdowns. But they pulled it out by two or three points (39-36). But late in the game, the clock about to run out, Peyton mistimed a snap and they had to run one more play. Peyton said something off-color to me, which was not at all like him.

“I told him, ‘Peyton, you’re better than that.

A few weeks later, a FedEx package arrived at Hannah’s doorstep. Inside it was a letter originally sent to the NFL’s offices in New York City. The letter was from Manning.

“He said he wanted to apologize for his reaction to me that day against the Dolphins,” Hannah related. “Would I please accept his apology? That’s the only time that’s happened to me in all my years of officiating.”

Even then, the story didn’t end. A few months later, Hannah was about to umpire a preseason game between the Broncos and Seahawks in Seattle. He felt someone put an arm around his shoulder.

“It’s Peyton,” said Hannah, who’s known Manning since both were in the SEC in the mid-1990s. “He asks me, ‘Did you get my card?’ I said, ‘Peyton, you’ve got to let this go.’ He says, ‘You have no idea how upset I was with myself.’ That’s the kind of son Archie and Olivia raised. Pretty impressive.

Reactions: 28 people
Actually, a cocktail made with a dry, semi-sweet orange soda like San Pellegrino Orange, Norka Orange, or Dry Sparkling Blood Orange (It's actually clear) would be fitting.

can you say "OCD"

Don't get me wrong I love Peyton, I just think he went well beyond what a normal person would have done in this situation.

can you say "OCD"

Don't get me wrong I love Peyton, I just think he went well beyond what a normal person would have done in this situation.

Has nothing to do with OCD.

May have been "well beyond what a normal person would do," but it's not beyond what a person of good character should do.

The fact that the "normal person" wouldn't sincerely seek acceptance of an apology is more a condemnation of society today than it is an indication that Peyton has a mental disorder, don't you think?

In any case, if he weren't well above "normal," this wouldn't be a story worth sharing.

Reactions: 13 people

No, he went beyond what has become acceptable. We should strive to make it the norm instead of the exception

Reactions: 7 people
can you say "OCD"

Yeah "normal" people dont think anythiing of it or care what these "petty" refs says or do. better than normal people go above and beyond to make sure they amend wrongs or things they think they were wrong and try to make it right.

Reactions: 2 people
Class act.

I think I'll go home and drink a lot of Budweiser tonight in appreciation.
no amount of love for him will make budweiser pass my lips... i'll just slap a budweiser beer cozy over my amstel bottle?

This is why Peyton is so beloved by Vol fans! Not just the on field accomplishments but these other acts!

Who remembers his senior year how he would phone other athletes around the country on game day to wish them well?

Reactions: 2 people
Has nothing to do with OCD.

May have been "well beyond what a normal person would do," but it's not beyond what a person of good character should do.

The fact that the "normal person" wouldn't sincerely seek acceptance of an apology is more a condemnation of society today than it is an indication that Peyton has a mental disorder, don't you think?

In any case, if he weren't well above "normal," this wouldn't be a story worth sharing.

you are telling me that if you said something "Off Color" to a co-worker, you would write the CEO of your company and ask them to ask the person you made the comment to, to accept your apology? I don't think so. You might regret having said it (as most of us would) but 95%+of people are not going to those lengths. If you are 1 of the 5% then more power to you, You have "High" moral character.

Not many people would do this, let alone an NFL player. One reason he is so revered here..and elsewhere. I'm glad he's ours!

Reactions: 4 people
you are telling me that if you said something "Off Color" to a co-worker, you would write the CEO of your company and ask them to ask the person you made the comment to, to accept your apology? I don't think so. You might regret having said it (as most of us would) but 95%+of people are not going to those lengths. If you are 1 of the 5% then more power to you, You have "High" moral character.

I think perhaps you mis-interpreted the story.

Peyton didn't send the letter to the NFL Commissioner. He mailed it to the official, Hannah, care of the NFL offices. In other words, Peyton didn't know Hannah's address, but knew the NFL front office would forward it for him. That's the most logical and simplest reading of the article as written.

In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the NFL discourages players and coaches from any direct contact with officials during the season. In which case, Peyton would want the NFL to see what he's communicating to Hannah, just so everything's above board.

Maybe that helps you see his action as a bit more "normal" (or at least not some sort of mental disorder).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
can you say "OCD"

Some people will literally criticize anything. In a world where being disrespectful is becoming the norm, it's nice to hear stories like this.

Reactions: 1 person
can you say "OCD"

It depends on what he said. And, from the looks of things, he felt like it was warranted. Good on him for following through to try to make things right.

Given that you don't have a clue as to what he said, can you say "OCD" for your post from the peanut gallery?

Last edited:
I think perhaps you mis-interpreted the story.

Peyton didn't send the letter to the NFL Commissioner. He mailed it to the official, Hannah, care of the NFL offices. In other words, Peyton didn't know Hannah's address, but knew the NFL front office would forward it for him. That's the most logical and simplest reading of the article as written.

In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the NFL discourages players and coaches from any direct contact with officials during the season. In which case, Peyton would want the NFL to see what he's communicating to Hannah, just so everything's above board.

Maybe that helps you see his action as a bit more "normal" (or at least not some sort of mental disorder).
My thoughts almost word for word. There's NO DOUBT that's why he sent the letter to the NFL office. Oh and by the way this is the same way a player/coach often gets correspondence from fans as well.....not AT ALL unusual.

VN Store

Back