Got a question

volsportsfan

knowledge puffeth up
Did CBJ in fact look around at other coaching opportunities after last season, or was that just unfounded rumors?

With such a good class coming in it seems that it was all rumors. Otherwise, opposing coaches would definitely use that against CBJ. Who would want to come play for a coach known to be unhappy and looking to leave? Seems to be my thinking anyway

Reactions: 1 person
Did CBJ in fact look around at other coaching opportunities after last season, or was that just unfounded rumors?

With such a good class coming in it seems that it was all rumors. Otherwise, opposing coaches would definitely use that against CBJ. Who would want to come play for a coach known to be unhappy and looking to leave? Seems to be my thinking anyway

Nope...impossible. He is completely devoted to the Vols for life. He is unlike all of the other coaches in the country. In his mind this was a lifetime appointment.

Reactions: 6 people
Him trying to get a raise and extension probably

Probably, as in you have solid evidence that he did contact others, or seriously consider other offers to him?

This question may be impossible to answer. This stuff is usually kept under wraps I suppose

That's what I'm looking for, facts.

There's a very good chance that most coaches at least listen to "the noise". The more negative noise there is in their current job, the more likely a guy is to jump if an attractive opportunity presents itself.

Can't remember all the details but I think UT protected itself after the Kiffin debacle by demanding a high buyout. Jones would have probably had to have been in immediate danger and have an offer from someone willing to buy his contract out.

Very tall order.

Had Notre Dame not retained Brian Kelly after their disastrous 4-8 season, Butch was all set to be the new coach of the Fighting Irish

Reactions: 5 people
If not mistaken, it was a "friend" of his agent that sent out some feelers. That's how it works in college football.

But, Jones was stuck because of the high buyout and he wasn't a proven commodity to justify that cost.

On one hand I wish butch would've found the perfect situation and left voluntarily. That would allow us to go find whatever coach we could without the burden of a huge buyout. But on the other hand...I don't have much faith in the ability of the administration to find anyone better. And if we make a change it has to be an upgrade because you take a big step backwards by changing. There are good coaches out there. 2 years ago Justin Fuente went to va tech. There no question in my mind he's a way more competent coach than butch. Maybe he could still be available if we make a change after this year

My guess, is that all coaches have one job that they would leave if their dream job was offered to them.
Example: Kiffin left U.T. to go to U.S.C. or Spurrier left Duke to go to Florida or Majors leaving Pitt to go to Tennessee.
So, what ever bUTch's dream job is. If he were offered that job, then he likely would accept it. HOWEVER: U.T. may be his dream job and he may never willingly ever leave here.

Reactions: 3 people

I honestly don't remember much in this vein after the 2016 season. After 2015, definitely, but not 2016. Just that Purdue thing (and was that 2015, too? Hard to remember how long ago that was).

Can you list the rumors that you remember hearing? Might help jog our collective memory.

Because this old brain is thinking that the coaching rumor mill largely bypassed Butch after 2016.

Have you seen anyone produce any credible evidence that supports Butch actually looking around?

His agent probably tried to garner some fake interest in CBJ in order to line him up for a raise/extension.

Since he didn't get one, this season is double or nuthin!

On one hand I wish butch would've found the perfect situation and left voluntarily. That would allow us to go find whatever coach we could without the burden of a huge buyout. But on the other hand...I don't have much faith in the ability of the administration to find anyone better. And if we make a change it has to be an upgrade because you take a big step backwards by changing. There are good coaches out there. 2 years ago Justin Fuente went to va tech. There no question in my mind he's a way more competent coach than butch. Maybe he could still be available if we make a change after this year

Just look at what LSU ended up with. That tells you what the candidate pool looks like out there. Hiring coaches isn't as easy as it once was for the "name" schools.

Didn't one of our resident insiders state that this was a tactic to acquire a raise and/or extension? I might be recalling incorrectly, but this seemed to be the consensus of the board.

Didn't one of our resident insiders state that this was a tactic to acquire a raise and/or extension? I might be recalling incorrectly, but this seemed to be the consensus of the board.

Every time a coach (any coach)'s name comes up in connection with a job they end up not getting, someone says it's a tactic to get a raise or extension. Every single time.

So you should think of that as white noise. The guy saying it never has insider knowledge, is just taking a wild guess at what the truth COULD be. He knows as much as you do, but is saying more. That's all.

It certainly wasn't the consensus of the boards here. Just one or two fellas guessing at what reality might be.

If not mistaken, it was a "friend" of his agent that sent out some feelers. That's how it works in college football.

But, Jones was stuck because of the high buyout and he wasn't a proven commodity to justify that cost.

Agents are the ones who put noise in the system for good or bad. The agents after successful seasons are usually angling for bonuses and extensions and after not so successful seasons pushing the other job angle out into the system. I have to believe CBJ's agent floated some stuff out there after the USCe and Vandy losses, many including lots here at VN are done with CBJ after that, the agents keep their ears to the ground. The other job thing was to combat some of that IMO.

Every time a coach (any coach)'s name comes up in connection with a job they end up not getting, someone says it's a tactic to get a raise or extension. Every single time.

So you should think of that as white noise. The guy saying it never has insider knowledge, is just taking a wild guess at what the truth COULD be. He knows as much as you do, but is saying more. That's all.

It certainly wasn't the consensus of the boards here. Just one or two fellas guessing at what reality might be.
That's true, but not all the time.

VN Store

Back